The MT-07 Forum

Dual Sport Out, Street Bike In

jdonalds

It was time for a changed up.

I am 68 years old. A year ago I bought a Suzuki DRZ400S dual sport so my 20 year old son and I could do some trail riding together. I had several years of riding, but that was about 45 years ago. My plan was to just ride from home to the extensive trails just seven miles from our house, but not to do any other street riding. However I found myself riding on the street as often as I could and really enjoying it.

As we only rode in the dirt about 6 or 7 times over the last year about 95% or more of my riding was on the street. I also found that, although the dirt rides were fun, I did not have the same ability to dirt ride that I did 40+ years ago. The Z is a good bike but I decided to change to a full on street bike.

My son works at a Yamaha dealer so I was kept up to date on the bikes there. I'm already quite familiar with Yamaha reliability so I became focused on the FZ-07. The price is quite reasonable, The seat height is lower than the Z and it's quite comfortable. I like the gauges, especially the gear in use indicator and fuel gauge. It handles really well and seems to anticipate curves; it sort of goes where I "think" I want it to go. It has a ton of power. I bought it three days ago.

We live in California where the weather has been a bit warmer than average this winter. Most people are aware of our serious drought, but that also translates into good bike riding weather. It's been in the mid 70s to mid 80s lately.

The Z will be on craigslist as soon as I get the pink slip from the lender.

My FZ-07.
DSC01655-XL.jpg

• Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum. That is a nice photo. We also have a classified section you should consider when you are trying to sell your DRZ.

• Premium Member

Welcome! There's quite a few of us on CA. Nice hook up you got! Has your son worked there long? I have a feeling I'd be buying bikes often if I were in your shoes. Haha.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Welcome aboard form another forum noob! Wish you could keep them both. The DRZ is a great bike. (I've got a DRZ400SM.)

• Premium Member

Welcome, and glad to see you got good taste in color choice! :)

Why can't left turners see us?

Nice looking bike and welcome. I almost got a DRZ400SM instead of my FZ07. I think I made the better choice for me but if cash was no object, I'd still want one.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome jdonalds! I love stories like yours. It's a great bike too. Glad you joined our little group!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Welcome to the forum! Read, post, and be happy!

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome!  I like your taste in bikes.  Very cool that you got back into motorcycling a little over a year ago, after a long absence.  It has been almost 30 years for me, purchased my FZ-07 a month ago. Enjoy your new ride.

• Global Moderator

Great to have you here @jdonalds, good stuff.
A lot of us went from a DS to the FZ07. My previous bike was a WR250X. Loved it, but I love the 07 even more.
You can't beat the torque surge and the analog 'real' bike feeling you get when riding this bike.

Archived