The MT-07 Forum

Nomenclature help...FZ-07R, or FZR-07?

pgeldz

• Premium Member

Hey everyone, 

Putting the finishing touches on my livery design and figured I *may* include a hint or two depicting Yamaha's racing heritage.

Was wondering what you thought would be better, and more importantly...why.

FZ-07R or FZR-07?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

:)

- Paulie

• Global Moderator

I like FZR-07 better. FZ-07R is too much like the the way Yamaha is doing the current naming (my title says FZ-07FR).

Yeah, FZR-07. It brings to mind the original superbikes of the 70's and 80's. FZ-07R makes me thinks of Hondas and Beemers.

• Global Moderator

I change my vote to FZ-R7. I like the way you think, @panzer716.

I change my vote to FZ-R7. I like the way you think, @panzer716.
Haha Thanks. Lol I think it sounds pretty good. We'll see what OP thinks.

pantheraleo

I personally love the European version of our bike...the MT-07, Master of Torque. I can't help with 'R' placement.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Global Moderator

MT makes me think of empty...or Montana, which I think is mostly empty. I like FZ better.

My opinion:

Of the two, I'd go with FZ-07R because there was never an FZR that was a twin-cylindered bike that I know of.
Also because FZ-07 is the legit marketing name for the bike, and adding an R on the end would denote something special and racy about it and something that would be your own personal designation.

Something done in the recent past by the Yamaha factory is adding the letters SP to production models that were somehow special, like the yellow and black FZ-1 in 2003 (designated FZS-1000SPR, the R meaning 2003), the 50th anniversary yellow and black YZF-R6 in 2006 (designated YZF-R6SPV, the V meaning 2006), and also the 50th anniversary YZF-R1 which also had the special gold wheels and Ohlins in 2006 (designated YZF-R1SPV).
The model year designating letter for 2015 Yamaha motorcycles is F.
FZ-07SPF?
Pics, too.  :)

fooschnickens

Sssshhhh! If Yamaha does any of this the insurance companies will think our bikes are sportier than they think they are already!

I like FZR-07 better. FZ-07R is too much like the the way Yamaha is doing the current naming (my title says FZ-07FR).
Mine is FZ-07FR also the F is 2015 the R is red.

• Global Moderator

Interesting. I thought the F was four stroke. I knew the R was red. I learned something.

• Premium Member

Man, all great stuff! I do like FZ-R7, but Yamaha had an R7 I think at one point, just for racing. I'll play around with that, but I did some research on the 'SP' designation and I think that might be more fitting.

Finished the paintwork over the weekend on the plastics and it came out great.

Just need to sort out these silly details before I can send the files off to my graphics guy and get this project done :)

- Paulie

Guest sportyeight
Where do you find this info? F = 2015 seems nonsensical to me.

On the cover of your FZ-07 Owner's Manual is written FZ07F.

It's a Federal mandate, I believe, since the current VIN method was made official around 1979.
Check the 10th digit of your FZ-07 VIN.
It'll be an F for 2015 model.

Check the VIN on a 2014 car or bike and the 10th digit in the VIN will be an E.
2016 will be a G.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
On the cover of your FZ-07 Owner's Manual is written FZ07F. 
It's a Federal mandate, I believe, since the current VIN method was made official around 1979.
Check the 10th digit of your FZ-07 VIN.
It'll be an F for 2015 model.

Check the VIN on a 2014 car or bike and the 10th digit in the VIN will be an E.
2016 will be a G.

That 10th digit of the VIN "F" meaning 2015 is correct but it also means 1985. I found this out the hard way when I received my pink slip and it stated my bike was a 1985 year model. I had to go through a few hoops to get it corrected to 2015. (Two DMV visits and 1 CHP visit) If you have your pink slip, verify they put the correct year on it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

That is true.
There is some overlapping.

They used Z in 1979, A in 1980, B in 1981, C in 1982, and when they ran out of letters, they started using numbers in 2001 (1 = 2001, 2 = 2002, 3 = 2003, etc.).
These were all in the 10th digit of the VIN of a vehicle.

After 2009 (which was a 9), they went back to letters, again.
So, since 2010, 2010 = A, 2011 = B, 2012 = C, and here we are with 2015 = F.

• Global Moderator

I always thought the F in the bike name meant it was four stroke. I think we might be confusing the VIN and bike nomenclature. I guess we will know for sure when the 2016 model is released.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I looked at the VIN on hub's 2014 FZ09 and the 10th digit is an E.

Where do you find this info? F = 2015 seems nonsensical to me.
My dealer told me when I was completing the paperwork. 

I always thought the F in the bike name meant it was four stroke. I think we might be confusing the VIN and bike nomenclature. I guess we will know for sure when the 2016 model is released.
No, when Yamaha came out with the 1998 YZ400F, that letter F meant four stroke.With that bike, the model designation is YZ400F regardless of model year.Why did they use that F in the model designation?It was their first four stroke motocross bike, the first four stroke YZ.A very big deal in 1998. However, that YZ400F doesn't include the model year digit on the end.The 1998 YZ400F with the model year digit is YZ400FK.A 2001 YZ250F is a YZ250FN.A 2015 YZ250F is a YZ250FF.

• Global Moderator
I know the F in the VIN is the model year. I am not convinced that the F in the model name means the same thing. Does the title or registration on your husband's bike say FZ-09E?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
I know the F in the VIN is the model year. I am not convinced that the F in the model name means the same thing. Does the title or registration on your husband's bike say FZ-09E?
His says model FZ09E© for California

• Global Moderator
His says model FZ09E© for California
It looks like I stand corrected. Thanks for checking. 

Archived