The MT-07 Forum

rack installation ?

rick

I'm about to put a SW Motech rack on mine. Has anyone done this? Gotta drill 4 holes (17mm, 2 each side)  in the underside of the tail plastic to access the frame under the back seat.

They give templates for the hole locations in the kit, but I thought I'd ask for any advice available before measuring 10x to alleviate any anxiety rack-attack. 

I'll post up picts after it's on (assuming of course that's successful) if anyone wants to see. Like everything from SW Mo, it's a solid piece of hardware. Might even be a bit too heavy duty if there is such a thing. 

thanks, in advance

rick

Nuthin?, no one's put one of these on?

Eh, not a problem. It looks easy enough. Was just looking for a vote of confidence/warning on SW Mo's templates for those holes.

Guest Ralph

Mine as a Yamaha rack so no help there, but who at Yamaha thought it was
or did not think at all, that it was a good idea to have to cut big lumps
out of the bodywork to fit it I don't know.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. This SW Mo rack has long arms that extend to the passenger peg brackets and install behind this brackets. So where the back is a bit cleaner looking than the Yamaha's, imo, the sides are a bit more cluttered.

BTW, the 650 Ninja's plastic comes with molded-in locators for that plastic that must be removed to install their racks/luggage (one or the other but not both)

But yeah, the mounts for yours requires big rectangles to be cut instead of 2, 11/16" holes.

I'm planning to carry a very large seat bag that'll fit w/o this appendage, but not w/o scuffing the plastic in back or getting in the way of my arse for that matter. Pick yer poison, holes in the underside or scuffs on top.

Gonna take a whack at this tomorrow - it's just too cold and damp today.

Guest Ralph

Don't know what the SW one looks like but have seen the Givi one
lots like but to me it looks like it was knocked up at the side of the
road on a trip through India, I do fancy the SW centre stand even though
it looks like a bit of a after thought.

It'll be this http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-toprack-for-yamaha-fz-07?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&gclid=CMuNp6KkqMQCFTBo7AodcjcAuQ As luggage racks go, pretty clean, imo.

There are adapter plates and such for top cases and even that locking ring that would normally be use for a tank bag. That soft luggage adapter is this http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-topcase-adapter-plate-for-attaching-soft-luggage

Not going that route - hmm, I think.

Guest Ralph

I have a Yam top box on mine it just clips on without any adaptor,
most difficult part is the lock as it comes as a kit and you assemble it to
match your bike key, not difficult but takes a little time.

I had the dealer install the rack as part of the overall purchase price.  The technician said it involved a fair amount of work.  I am very pleased with it.  The box is a waterproof SKB iSeries thingy with interior dimensions of 15" x 10.5" x 6".  If I were to buy the box again I would go a little wider...maybe 17" x 11" x 6" or so.  I felt like it was sacrilege to put a rack and a case on this beauty but I'm glad I did.  If anyone gives me any crap I'll tell them that is where the parachute is packed for when I drag race...

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/rexarsenal/2015-03-14_12-48-42_523.jpg

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

Is that the Yamaha rack? I thought it mounted under the tail, not over.

They are all a bit ugly, but painted black helps. And they sure are practical. Sometimes ya just have to compromise. I have a Pelican tool case bolted to the back of my Futura. Talk about sacrilege. But that's where my air pump, patch kit, voltmeter (it is an Italian bike after all) and some other stuff, I hope to never need 100 miles from home are kept dry and safe.

If the mechanic thought that mounting that rack was a lot of work, I'd not want him adjusting my valves.

Might get mine on this weekend. If my garage was heated, it would have been on many weeks ago.

Is that the Yamaha rack? I thought it mounted under the tail, not over.  
They are all a bit ugly, but painted black helps. And they sure are practical. Sometimes ya just have to compromise. I have a Pelican tool case bolted to the back of my Futura. Talk about sacrilege. But that's where my air pump, patch kit, voltmeter (it is an Italian bike after all) and some other stuff, I hope to never need 100 miles from home are kept dry and safe.

If the mechanic thought that mounting that rack was a lot of work, I'd not want him adjusting my valves.

Might get mine on this weekend. If my garage was heated, it would have been on many weeks ago.
yep, Yamaha rack

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

Only ones of the Yamaha rack I've seen have been silver. Black is alway better for the appendages.

Betcha a brick or 2 back there would sure aid in launching the front up. lol

• Global Moderator
Betcha a brick or 2 back there would sure aid in launching the front up. lol
I am not sure I need any more help getting the front up. 

My Futura http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Aprilia/aprilia_RST_1000%2001.htm has one of the longest seats ever put on a short wheel-based bike. The passenger sits well up high and quite a bit behind the back axle. A bad place for weight usually. With the seat occupied and facing uphill, pulling away from a stop needs to be done with care when there's 100 + HP and 70 ft-lbs torque at the back wheel. I've been care-less on occasion and up it comes - doh! .

Haven't launched the FZ. Might someday, but not by design. It's just not in my riding style.

• 2 years later...
firstyammerha

Bikes like Suzuki and Honda with the passenger grab rails secured to the frame with two bolts are the easiest to mount a rack to. I had to get the dealer to mount my Yamaha rack.

Archived