The MT-07 Forum

Handlebar options

rowdy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went with Drag Bars.[attachment id=890" thumbnail="1][attachment thumbnail=1" id="891]
I did these, too. Love them. 20 bucks.

3f8bdf75b82b61cf9299d6602d933f50.jpg

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

AlbatrossCafe

For those of you who have swapped out bars, are you swapping out your rearsets or footpegs as well are you keeping the stock ones? How do the stock ones fit with new bars that you guys have tried?

For those of you who have swapped out bars, are you swapping out your rearsets or footpegs as well are you keeping the stock ones? How do the stock ones fit with new bars that you guys have tried?
Stock rearsets for me w/drag bars. They fit just fine.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

3sY6nb5.jpgRGdWUDM.jpg

How did those bars change your lean as opposed to the stock bars?
Just slightly forward and down, and the downward angle of the bars allow my wrist to relax more. 

• Premium Member

Woodcraft has been great for me so far. I was lucky to find a "scratch and dent" adapter plate that I scored for 50 bucks. It had a pin tip sized nick on it. Went with 1" risers. I like the clearance at full lock and it's plenty aggressive for me in the "up" position. 473ac4a10bc372f253c50439f5fb38c0.jpg

• 1 year later...
joshuathehutt

@ fromthecage, I saw your pic of those emgo bars and bought the same. I wasn't expecting the plastic plug at the end of them. I am assuming those aren't intended to remove? I bought bar end mirrors that screw in - I suppose that was a mistake? advice?

I have a set of Emgo euro bars sitting at the wait for a warm garage. These bars are only an inch lower than stock but have a nice downward bend that my hands will be happier with.

That plastic plug comes right out - won't need more than a fingernail.

i'm planning to continue using BarkBuster Storms so ordered these adapters https://www.twistedthrottle.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=BB.B26 Haven't come yet, but should fit. The center bolt expands that internal sleeve.

I'm thinking your new mirrors uses a similar set-up?

joshuathehutt

Thanks for the reply. I actually just got done installing mine. The plastic plugs came out easily, but at first, per the above, I was afraid of trying to pry something out that was meant to be permanent - and I had just not seen any comments of those plugs before. But once I knew they were meant to be pulled, they came out easy.

The install wasn't too tough, but I'd never done any work on a bike before. I ended up cutting the little tabs off of the bar controls with a utility knife (which was easy). I sort of hated to do it, but I was more afraid of drilling new holes in my new bar in the wrong place. I figured shaving the nubs off would give me the flexibility of making minor adjustments, if and when needed.

SO I went with the Emgo drag bar. I'll try to get pics posted later. I have pearl white FZ 07 and I went with the black bars. I also bought the Astra Depot 2x Adjustable Heavy Duty Bar End mirrors for the 7/8" bars. I was skeptical because they were so cheap. The entire purchase was $40 on amazon for the bars and a pair of mirrors. Again, I'll try to get pics up soon. But so far, those cheap little mirrors have done fine - and the overall result is what I was looking for; a sportier ride position and cleaner look.

The only thing is I feel like the cords and cables are more squished up than before, which makes sense, since I'm using a lower bar (less room to spread out). I don't think it's enough to be a problem, just something I noticed.

I literally just finished the install, but afterward went to get fuel and got up somewhere in the 70mph range, and the mirrors were perfect - actually easier to see out of that the stock mirrors, even though these new ones are smaller.

Tips for guys like me, or who have even less experience, take plenty of before photos. They could help in identifying things you didn't know to pay attention to before you began, like did the throttle cable originally run over or under the break lever (stuff like that).

My only question now is the throttle. It sticks the tiniest bit, and just doesn't want to return on it's own. Riding it, it doesn't seem to be such a big deal, but being new at working on bikes, what's the right way to fix that? Is the throttle just supposed to have a little lube between it and the bar or would it require sanding paint away from the bar?

If it needs lube, then I'll lube it. If sanding the paint is the recommendation, then I'll skip it and live with it as is.

Also, I broke a socket fastening the bars back on the bike. I don't have a torque wrench and really wanted to make sure they were secure. It was a cheaper socket set. do you guys think a torque wrench is necessary, and do you have specific brands of tools, ratchets and sockets that you all prefer?

Your throttle cable no longer returns well because of the sharp bend you've put on the cables. The clutch cable will have the same issue. It's one of those unintended consequences you don't think about until after ya change stuff.

Can you rotate the assembly counterclockwise a bit? - looking at it from the bar's end -

you might also be able to pull the cables down or over to the left (clutch side) a bit to relieve that bend.

Gonna suggest that no matter how cheap the socket, if you broke one, that fastener is too tight. Hmm, the gym, the bike and a broken socket, lol.

joshuathehutt

Thanks for the tip - I really appreciate it. I'll have a look and see what I can do.

Lol, 20 years ago I was a strong guy, now I just try to keep up.

joshuathehutt

yep, that did it. rotated the throttle and now it's perfect. I went ahead and rotated the levers up too, but the break and clutch had worked fine before. The cables for the levers still look a little kinked, but if I rotate those up any more, I'm afraid it just wouldn't work.

Glad this forum is here.

A little later I may try to fab my own fender eliminator out of a Simpson Strong Tie. If i ever get to it, I'll get back on to share how well it worked or how terribly it failed. http://www.fastenersplus.com/Simpson-AC4-4x-Adjustable-Post-Cap-G90-Galvanized?gclid=CjwKEAiAlNbEBRCv9uy4j4SWrgwSJAB5MqJFoEzxqvX0BaIXvwYcjTJTeUYBLtuRguYbJuXETey74RoCAj7w_wcB

Oh, in case anyone's interested, those 18mm insert adapters from Twisted Throttle are a perfect fit for the Emgo bar.

I run the Renthal Road mediums. I had to cut about a half inch or a little more off each end to keep the cables from binding so the width came out close to stock which I really liked the width of my stock bars.

The reason I went with the medium is I have a herniated disc in my lower back and the stock bars were just low enough to aggravate it so I needed a bar that allowed me to sit up a little straighter and not put that pressure on my lower back. That medium bar was perfect for that.

• 1 month later...
mantistobogn

Any Bay Area FZ'rs running a lower bar set up that would be willing to meet up? I want to feel the reach before pulling the trigger on a handlebar replacement.

Any Bay Area FZ'rs running a lower bar set up that would be willing to meet up? I want to feel the reach before pulling the trigger on a handlebar replacement.
what part of the bay you in?

mantistobogn
what part of the bay you in?
I'm located in Burlingame/San Mateo.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what the specs are on the OEM bars (Rise, sweep, pullback, etc.)? If they're somewhere north of a 3 inch rise it'll be a massive difference if switching to the drag bars or the possibly even the Renthal Ultra Lows. I am (like some others are) looking for a slight lean forward or a just a tad more aggressive position to get out of that sitting-in-a-chair feeling. I was considering the Renthal Street Fighter (links below).
Renthals Ultra Low
http://road.renthal.com/shop/road-products/road-handlebars/road-se-bars?product_id=2007
Renthals Street Fighter
http://road.renthal.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2017
Emgo Drag Bars (which obviously have no rise but check bottom of page 5 for other specs)
http://www.emgo.com/images/pdf/2017Handlebar.pdf

Also, quick fix for Renthals' lack of compatibility with regular bar ends are getting Rawl Plugs/Expanding Anchors and the right size bolts.

twowheelchaos

I bought my fz about two months ago and instantly hated the stock bars. Too narrow and too much rise. It's really the only thing about the bike I didn't like. I'm used to motocross bars which are quite a bit wider and lower. I ended up buying a set of Fly 7/8 Moto bars and unbolting and taking off the cross bar and bar pad. They are about 31" wide and lower also.

I looked at the Renthal ultra low bars but didn't really want to spend that much money. I got the Fly bars and Renthal grips for $50 at a local shop. So far so good. It looks super wide with the bars and bar end mirrors, but it's pretty comfortable.

This may seem odd and I have no idea if it would even feel good to ride, but I was curious what type of handlebars would get you a similar feel to a bmx bike.

Wouldn't it just be nice if you could try out different bars? otherwise how the hell does anyone know what to get? Don't mean to vent but I hate this stupid guessing game

• Premium Member
This may seem odd and I have no idea if it would even feel good to ride, but I was curious what type of handlebars would get you a similar feel to a bmx bike.
Some BMX bars? :D 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Wouldn't it just be nice if you could try out different bars? otherwise how the hell does anyone know what to get? Don't mean to vent but I hate this stupid guessing game
Yeah, I agree. I don't really think there are even many places around me that sell them.

Archived