The MT-07 Forum

New Guy From Southern Indiana

vodapas

Hello,

I just got back from forking over $500 to the local Yamaha dealer for the down payment for a Liquid Graphite FZ-07.  (Catch the pun there?)  Saying I'm ecstatic would be an understatement.  I can not wait to take delivery next week!  Even more so considering we'll be seeing 60+ degree temps by mid-week.

Anyhow, a little about me.  I'm a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy.  I'm currently stationed in Southern IN which I give you seems an odd place to plop a Sailor.  But, the roads around here are just about perfect for riding.  I've been riding since 2008.  I started on a Harley Sportster and then moved on to another Sporty.  Then one glorious day light shone down upon me and I realized that riding would be a lot more enjoyable riding something that didn't rupture a vertebrae and make my kidneys bleed every time I hit an expansion joint in the road.  So, I picked up an Honda NC700X and I've never looked back.  Not trying to hate on American bikes, just for me Japanese bikes are a better fit.  I am by no means an expertly skilled rider.  I tend to enjoy riding as cruising along at moderate speeds just enjoying being out for the ride.  Typical old man stuff.  8-)

My FZ-07 is the fourth addition to my garage as well as the "we have reached maximum capacity" bike.  I am now at the point that if I get anymore toys my car will have to move to the drive way.  I currently own the NC700 I mentioned earlier, a Ninja 300 I share with my wife, and DR-Z400SM.  I think FZ-07 is going to be the perfect fit for my "fun bike".  Don't get me wrong, my dizzer is a blast.  But, much more than 45 minutes on the wooden plank they call a seat and you're crying for mercy.

I suffer from the addiction of needing to modify everything mechanical that I bring into my home.  I should really seek help.  But, what fun would that be.  I gave up smoking so I should get to keep one habit!  Anyhow, I suspect a good part of my day will be spent spending too much money on farkles for my newest toy.  Speaking of which who bought up all the Power Commander V's?!   >:D

Seriously though, I look forward to all of the knowledge to be gained from this forum and I hope soon I'll be able to contribute as well.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome and congratulations for the new bike!  When you get time, post a picture of your FZ-07 after you get her home.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome vodapas! At our house we kicked the cage to the street a while ago. (Four bikes between hubs and I) Haha Did you get to test ride the 07 before you bought it? I'm sure you'll love it!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks, happy to be here!

@ Eastern Kayaker - I most definitely will. Bone stock pics when I pick her up this week and hopefully soon pics with the mods I have planned.

@ hippiebikerchick - Agreed, in the end the cager will lose if it comes down to a battle over garage space. (Well, not the wife's cage of course. Haha.) I actually did not get to test ride although I sat on it enough times it feels like I've done some miles. The dealer was happy to let me test ride it. In fact he wanted me to do a FZ-07 vs FZ-09 comparo because he was pushing hard to sell me an 09. (I am sure just based on reviews alone the 07 is a much better fit for me than the 09.) Anyhow, opted not to take a test because there is still tons of sand and salt on the roads here. I went ahead and bought because I wanted to cut a deal before other buyers realize riding season is over. It worked too as I got her $900 less than MSRP.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Greetings vodapas. I have a friend who lives in Fishers IN. and his parents have a cabin near Camp Atterbury. I hope to take my motorcycle down there some time to visit. Welcome to the forum!

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Greetings vodapas. I have a friend who lives in Fishers IN. and his parents have a cabin near Camp Atterbury. I hope to take my motorcycle down there some time to visit. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you!  I've never been to Fishers, but I definitely have heard the name.  There is definitely some great riding to be had down here.  Where are located? 

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
Thank you!  I've never been to Fishers, but I definitely have heard the name.  There is definitely some great riding to be had down here.  Where are located?
I reside in Iowa. Fishers IN is a North East suburb of Indianapolis. I agree. When I was driving a few of my friends back from one place to another on some of the twisty roads I was having so much fun that I made one of them sick. 

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Welcome to the forums FZ07 is a great bike & greate choice, greetings from Mexico
Hola y gracias! 8-) 

I reside in Iowa. Fishers IN is a North East suburb of Indianapolis. I agree. When I was driving a few of my friends back from one place to another on some of the twisty roads I was having so much fun that I made one of them sick. 
That's right I have been through Fishers.  I forgot my brother-in-law used to live up there.  It didn't dawn on me till you said where it was located. 

• Premium Member

Congrats! Seems like you have a great selection of rides!!

BTW, if you connect the "@" with the user name, it'll auto-link their name. That way, the user will be notified that you've responded to them! One more thing, some user names are NOT the same as what is shown when you want to auto-link them. Just hover over their user name on the left hand column in the thread and it'll pop up.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Just curious where it is you are in IN, @vodapas -- when I first got out of the AF (some *cough* 20 years ago *cough*) I lived and worked in New Albany -- pretty country down there as long as the weather holds up.

Congrats! Seems like you have a great selection of rides!!  
BTW, if you connect the "@" with the user name, it'll auto-link their name. That way, the user will be notified that you've responded to them! One more thing, some user names are NOT the same as what is shown when you want to auto-link them. Just hover over their user name on the left hand column in the thread and it'll pop up.

@motomeek 
Thank you and thanks for the tip!

Just curious where it is you are in IN, @vodapas -- when I first got out of the AF (some *cough* 20 years ago *cough*) I lived and worked in New Albany -- pretty country down there as long as the weather holds up.
@so1102 
I'm up in Bloomington.  About 90 min to 2 hours north of New Albany.  That is gorgeous country down there.  Close enough to L'ville but still country living enough for me.  I definitely wouldn't mind retiring down in that area.

Welcome fellow squid, I was on the US Milwaukee 
Also used to live in Tell City, IN
@thestache 
Hey nice to hear their some other members with a little salt behind their ears.  Where was the Milwaukee home-ported out of?

• Premium Member

OH! Haha, one more thing... you only need to do the "@" if you aren't quoting them in the reply. The quote will notify just the same.

Welcome fellow squid, I was on the US Milwaukee 
Also used to live in Tell City, IN
@thestache 
Hey nice to hear their some other members with a little salt behind their ears.  Where was the Milwaukee home-ported out of?

@vodapas 
Was out of Norfolk

@thestache

Oh yeah, I've been there plenty. First and third duty stations were out of Norfolk. Pretty sure that's where I'll be headed when I transfer out of here.

• Premium Member
@motomeek 
I'll get it some day!
You got it now!!  ;)

Archived