The MT-07 Forum

Dealing with Dealers!

biker2014

OK so I put a deposit down in October, paid up 2 weeks ago.

Just brought parts in to be fitted...

1) they are pushing me to get the bike out the door, while there is snow on the ground (as recently as the snow storm today in NJ) - do they have a right to do that??

2) the service guy called and to say the bar ends don't fit.....i said i didn't buy bar ends whats he talking about?! then.......i have to tell him no that was an OES frame and axel slider kit (he didn't know how it worked and I had to send the instructions from online) whats that all about??

also they quoted me $300 for the front and rear turn signals to be fitted?!?! i cannot do it myself but that seems a bit much!!?

3) my akra exhaust had a dent in :( they have been great though and already sent a replacement before I've had a chance to send the damaged one back. love revzilla.

What I want to know is how much are they charging you to install OES frame sliders?
initially said $500 for: 
axel and frame sliders
mt 07 belly pan
yoshi tail tidy
yamaha oem windscreen
full akra exhaust 

then they said they didn't know i got lights too and that $300 alone!? CANT BE!!!?

wth 800 bucks  ;-| :-X (puke)
tell me about it. i am praying that they come to some kind of 'deal' as that number disgusts me  :'( 
also, youthink I'm within rights to tell them i cannot take the bike until the snow is off the ground?!

• Premium Member

If I were you I would tell the dealer to stop everything and get the bike out of there as soon as possible. They don’t sound very good. Their mechanic must be a moron… Trying to put a frame slider on the end of your bars? IDIOT!

Rent a trailer or truck if you have to and get it to someone you trust or call a non dealer mechanic to install your goodies. Hell if you were close to me I would do it all for a six pack and a meat lovers pizza. I love working on the FZ-07.

Yes, as a dealer they can tell you to come get it or they can start charging you storage fees. All they have to do is give you written notice to come get your bike off of the property. Once you pay for it and sign the papers it is legally yours. The dealer does not want the responsibility of having your bike on their property. They are at risk for damage, theft, ect.

There are other NJ owners on here. Start a thread in the East Coast area of the forum and ask for some help. Most of us on here are very helpful.

In short… Get your baby out of there ASAP.

Good Luck!

• Premium Member

That's an exorbitant amount of money to install 5 bolt on items. You're probably much better off going to a mom and pop shop.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I agree. That is absolutely ridiculous. DON'T pay that! Find some help elsewhere, as they sound like a crappy dealer anyway. The OES sliders only take like 10 minutes for all 3 pairs...literally. Tail tidy is a bit more time consuming, but if you can turn a screwdriver, you can do it in an hour or so. Signals aren't hard either. Hardest part is mounting the front ones to the bike itself. I made "washer" type brackets.

Either way, get your bike out, and tell them not to install any of that stuff, so you don't have to pay. They will probably put it on wrong anyway....if they put a frame slider on your handlebar, who knows what problems may arise later, if they do the work.

Sorry for your troubles...that sucks

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

This is example 10000000 why I never let dealers work on my bikes. Probably lucky the mechanic didn't try to eat the slider.

If I were you I would tell the dealer to stop everything and get the bike out of there as soon as possible. They don’t sound very good. Their mechanic must be a moron… Trying to put a frame slider on the end of your bars? IDIOT!  
Rent a trailer or truck if you have to and get it to someone you trust or call a non dealer mechanic to install your goodies. Hell if you were close to me I would do it all for a six pack and a meat lovers pizza. I love working on the FZ-07.

Yes, as a dealer they can tell you to come get it or they can start charging you storage fees. All they have to do is give you written notice to come get your bike off of the property. Once you pay for it and sign the papers it is legally yours. The dealer does not want the responsibility of having your bike on their property. They are at risk for damage, theft, ect.

There are other NJ owners on here. Start a thread in the East Coast area of the forum and ask for some help. Most of us on here are very helpful.

In short… Get your baby out of there ASAP.

Good Luck!

potatochips

Sounds like they see a piggy bank, trying to take you for as much as you'll go along with. Figure out a way to get the bike out of there, pronto, rent a U-Haul if nothing else.

• Premium Member

That frame slider incident is a SIGN. Get it outta there.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Thanks everyone - not happy so far which is a shame as they were great to deal with at the start (wonder why eh!)

Im going to hold my ground to not pay that stupid amount. $500 is my max. the lights and tail tidy look smart though!!

I got my bike today which looks beautiful and LOVED a good 2 hour ride.

BUT....my friend noticed something dropping out of the radiator area and melting on exhaust pipes. I got an evotech rad cover and it seems there was some sticky foam stops on the top and bottom that come off in the heat and both top and bottom hanging down.

The top stip is dangling across front of the radiator while the bottom was melted on exhaust pipes i tried to pull it all off but some left.

Am i correct in being embarrassed on the service departments behalf?!!? What the HELL!?!?

• Global Moderator

The Evotech was a five minute install. Those foam strips have an adhesive that sticks like you would not believe. I put one of mine on slightly askew and could not get it off. It was close enough that I did not worry about it. I do not know how the dealer was able to not have them stick. Did they even take the paper off the back to stick it on?

i really have no idea what they did i just picked it up and when i got home it was noticed they had peeled off and drooping down! are they necessary?

@whitegas haha they installed the bar ends on the axels!! crazy stuff goin on here!! haha unbelievable! won't be taking it there for my service thats for sure!!

• Global Moderator

I would not let that dealership touch my bike. If you are not comfortable checking their work I would find a reputable independent shop and have them look at what was done to make sure there are no other problems lurking.

@whitegas haha they installed the bar ends on the axels!! crazy stuff goin on here!! haha unbelievable! won't be taking it there for my service thats for sure!!
Do your self a favor and learn the put these bolt on parts yourself. It will save your an enormous amount of money in the future if you can work on your bike and not have to bring it in for every little mod. Also it will get you back up and riding much sooner. Plus it's fun to get to know your bike and learn some skills.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Honestly, Much of the work on the bike you can do yourself with a $30 tool kit. I would only take the bike to a dealer for any major services (Such as valve adjustment).

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

That is way to much for simple bolt ons to install. Can't imagine how it can cost 800 for install, maybe like 3hrs time. All those are pretty simple and can be done with tolls that cost less than what they want to charge you.

Archived