The MT-07 Forum

Check engine came on at idle during fog

diphtong

I had a very weird issue last night, that I think may be related to foggy outdoor conditions:
When the bike sat at idle the check engine light came on. No error code on the instrument cluster. The INSTANT you put it in gear and took off, the light went off.
Same with gear changes, i.e. when pulling the clutch in between shifts the light would come on and go off immediately after the clutch was back out.

The weird thing was that the headlight dimmed while the clutch was pulled in. Also idled high.

As soon as I pulled into the garage with "normal" air, the problem went away.

Has anybody experienced this?

P.S. installed a Tutoro chain oiler a few hours prior to this, but there were no issues during the test rides, during normal weather conditions, so I don't think it caused this

Could mayyyybe be an issue with the MAF (or whatever equivalent sensor this bike uses).
The light dimming I could see be related to the load changing on the engine and thus the alternator output.

But I'm no expert, hopefully one will be along shortly...

• Premium Member

That's interesting.. it was very foggy this morning. So much so that I had 10 ft of visibility or less at times, but I didn't have any diagnostic lights come on.

That might be something for the dealer to diagnose.

Everything went braap.

Bright and sunny today. I just took her out for a spin and no issues whatsoever.
I wonder if I could duplicate the issue by setting the garden hose to mist and spraying past the front of the bike.
Bad idea?

Bad idea.

That wont replicate the ambient temperature plus humidity.

Take the bike to a dealer and have them look at it. Plus, if a code was thrown they should be able to pull that up!

• Premium Member

Water droplet in fog is about the size of a white blood cell. Garden hose mister, probably not so much.

I'd just swing by the dealer and see what they had to say. Report back with the results.

Everything went braap.

Guest Ralph

Is the chain oiler electrical in any way? if so check for shorts,
could you have moved some wiring that could rub on the clutch cable?
the lights dimming sounds like a short pulling the voltage down and
some ecu's are programmed to speed up the tick over if battery volts
drop.

Iir, there's no electrical connections with that oiler???

But along those lines, all that humidity might aide the intermittent short make even better contact where it shouldn't.

The humidity might confuse the ECU some as the air temp sensor will read a bit different than it should.

This sure seems clutch lever related more than anything. Weren't there a couple people who had the connector to the clutch switch come off or not be put on well? Did you mount anything up near there and possibly knock that connector loose.

You might also check the connector for the neutral switch - sorry have no idea where that is. It's likely on the gearbox somewhere

• Global Moderator

Is your battery okay (incl. connections)? Sometimes a lower the normal voltage gives you all kind of weird symptoms.

Thanks! Some good ideas in here.
I'll check the battery first. It hasnt been in for the battery cable recall, yet, so maybe it's related to that.

The oiler is not electric or vacuum. It has a spring loaded valve in the reservoir that "pumps" oil via vibration of the bike.

fooschnickens
Thanks! Some good ideas in here. I'll check the battery first. It hasnt been in for the battery cable recall, yet, so maybe it's related to that.

Highly likely. What you've described so far sounds like a faulty ground/bad circuit so I'd get it to the dealer ASAP for that recall bulletin. 

pantheraleo

The transmission of this bike, while strong, is quite quirky. I notice whenever I have to make a quick stop from say 4th or 5th gear, and I don't drop the gears as I slow down, when I go to downshift from a stop...I have to roll the bike a bit so it can 'find' its gear. Not a complaint, but an observation. I'm not sure if this relates to the OP issue at all...

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

fooschnickens
The transmission of this bike, while strong, is quite quirky. I notice whenever I have to make a quick stop from say 4th or 5th gear, and I don't drop the gears as I slow down, when I go to downshift from a stop...I have to roll the bike a bit so it can 'find' its gear. Not a complaint, but an observation. I'm not sure if this relates to the OP issue at all...
It's happened to others within the first hundred miles or so. I've only had it come up once so far, letting the clutch out a bit it helped it find its place again. 

That's how a motorcycle transmission works.It's sequential shift, and if you don't downshift through the gears while you're rolling, you'll have to fanangle it at a stop to do so. 

• Premium Member
This is normal. All bikes work this way.  Start down-shifting to slow down or make sure you're in the correct gear before you come to a complete stop. 

pantheraleo
This is normal. All bikes work this way.  Start down-shifting to slow down or make sure you're in the correct gear before you come to a complete stop.
Neither of my other bikes did this. They would get hung up at neutral, I need me to roll a bit forward or back or release the clutch... But they made it from 4th down to neutral just fine.

• Premium Member
That's how a motorcycle transmission works.It's sequential shift, and if you don't downshift through the gears while you're rolling, you'll have to fanangle it at a stop to do so.

This is the way any bike I've ridden or owned operated.

Everything went braap.

pantheraleo
This is the way any bike I've ridden or owned operated.
Okay, well its not like it's a major problem. I think I've had two or three quick stops where I've noticed the gear indicator is 'lost' (no gear shown).

I will accept this is normal and let's move on. I didn't mean to fill up the thread with this side issue.

Archived