The MT-07 Forum

Krazy tail bolts

tony

Hi all, I am doing a tail tidy and can't remove two of the four tail mounting bolts that attach to the frame. The two on the right side came out easy enough, and have blue threadlocker on them. The two on the left side stripped my 8mm socket, broke the ratchet head and then got stripped themselves when I used a heavy wrench on them. Aplying moderate heat did nothing. I dunno what have these mofos poured in there during assembly... Does anyone know what threadlocker is supposed to be on these? I can try a torch to heat it past 650f (if it is high temp threadlocker), drill 'em out and re-thread or weld a bigger nut to the bolt head and try unscrewing it off that way. Knowing what kind of stuff is actually in there (or is supposed to be there) would help.

I am jealous watching Youtube guys just undoing these with ratchets.. Ha!

Any other ideas? Thanks!

• Premium Member

Sorry man... That sucks, but I really had no problem getting mine out, and have no good explanation.
Seems like it would have had to have been a major assembly screw up (which is not typical of Yamaha), to either put the wrong thread locker on or cross thread the screws. Hope you find a solution.

Why can't left turners see us?

White, the fender bolts, the black ones are coated in a ton of red loctite. The bolts that go into the frame, ie the smaller, hex headed stainless bolts are coated in what appeared to be green loctite.

Guest whitegas

Ah ok so it was the fender ones that had red.

Maybe exposure to the elements and whatnot has caused your bolts to seize. I did remove my back blinkers off the tail tidy recently and those bolts weren't looking too good. I put nothing on them and it was a b**** to remove.

Sounds like time for an impact wrench :D

Have you tried using some liquid wrench or some kind of penetrating oil?

rotaryryan24

If you end up having to drill them out, you don't won't need to retap the treads. You should be able to put nuts and washers on the top side. I would definitely try a small crack torch to heat up the bolts first, and burn off the locktight. Good luck!

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Global Moderator

I had no problem removing mine. The ones on the fender had red loctite and were a real pain, but all the rest came out easily.

Thanks! In fact I was able to undo the black fender bolts with just the hex key. There would be no need for it, LOL, if the top bolts were behaving.

My bike is brand new, with maybe a mile or two on the odometer, and garaged. So it's certainly not the elements. Penetrating oil didn't do anything.
I tried the screw-in left handed extractors, the ones you dril into it, counter-clockwise, but it forced the drill to stop turning.
Now it's not the most powerful drill, but the bolt behaves as if its krazy-glued in or thread-stripped or left-handed :) ... A hefty amount of torque did absolutely nothing.
i have a feeling throwing more torque at it will either break it or strip it off completely.

I'll try a better heat cycle on it, hopefully it helps. Thanks!

• Premium Member
Thanks! In fact I was able to undo the black fender bolts with just the hex key. There would be no need for it, LOL, if the top bolts were behaving. 
My bike is brand new, with maybe a mile or two on the odometer, and garaged. So it's certainly not the elements. Penetrating oil didn't do anything.
I tried the screw-in left handed extractors, the ones you dril into it, counter-clockwise, but it forced the drill to stop turning.
Now it's not the most powerful drill, but the bolt behaves as if its krazy-glued in or thread-stripped or left-handed :) ... A hefty amount of torque did absolutely nothing.
i have a feeling throwing more torque at it will either break it or strip it off completely.

I'll try a better heat cycle on it, hopefully it helps. Thanks!
The extractors I have you turn with a wrench, not a drill.  You pre-drill a hole, pound them in, then wrench them out. 

Why can't left turners see us?

I torched it! It wasn't as epic as Ripley vs the Alien, LOL, but the bolt got seriously f*d up in the end. I will attach the pic once I figure out how to do it. A few heavy wrenches were useless... at the end its undoing came from a lowly Scripto BBQ lighter, of all things!
The bolt was covered thick with of blue or green threadlock, but not that much more than the others... I guess Yamaha is quite serious about torquing some of their bolts. That's what I call screwed up :)

Thanks a lot, guys!

rotaryryan24

Glad to hear you won the war.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

Let me ask you a dumb question... Putting it back, would it make sense to Loctite the new bolts, or use rubber washers for vibration damping?

rotaryryan24

I've got 5k plus on those bolts with no loctite or anything at all. They are still tight, just torque them down good and tight.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

Archived