The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic Titanium W or W/O DB Killer? (Don't Mind Loudness)

Allan

So, I bought the Akrapovic Titanium Stage One Kit from Dobeck and I will be installing it within the month but wasn't very sure about the DB killer and if I should leave it in. I don't care if it is loud as that doesn't bother me so if you tell me to leave it in because it will be too loud, I will take your post with a grain of salt. My concern is when I ordered the exhaust from Dobeck, I asked if I removed the baffle, would the current EJK tune be good enough for that set-up, or would it be damaging to the exhaust? The woman I was talking to asked a technician and the tech said that Akrapovic does not recommend removing the baffle but if I do decide to do that, that the tune should be ok.

So then that got me thinking, if Akrapovic doesn't recommend removing the baffle, why is it an option to do? I emailed Akrapovic and asked them this:

I recently purchased a full exhaust system for my FZ-07, and I just had a question about the baffle that comes in the exhaust. Is it safe to remove the baffle and use the exhaust this way for regular operation? I have a fuel controller that I bought with the exhaust so the air fuel mixture is correct for this exhaust setup on this engine, but I was not sure if the baffle made that much of a difference and / or if the baffle being removed would damage the engine in the long run. If you could let me know if this would be a problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

So I waited almost 2 weeks and I finally just got a response today saying this:

Hello Allan,

Thank you for the email. The system was not designed to have the baffle removed. With that said I some customers have removed the baffle but it is not an easy process and also voids the warranty. It will also be much louder. As for damage to the engine. That all depends on the proper fuel management system and map developed. If done properly you should have not issues. I hope this information helps.

This email was kind of helpful, but not really. I still don't know why if Akrapovic doesn't recommend removing the baffle you can take it out by just unscrewing a screw. If they didn't recommend doing that don't you think they just would put it in there permanently? Anyways, I know that the EJK was not programmed for the baffle removed. I don't know if it really makes that much of a difference though. My question to all of you is, would it be bad for the engine in the long run if I decide to run this without the baffle? Like I said, I don't care about loudness, I care about if I will be paying for it in the long run if it destroys my engine. What do you guys think? Let me know. Thanks! I appreciate it!
Allan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest whitegas

It is my understanding that the akra titanium has the hardest baffle removal process and it isn't as easy as just unscrewing a screw.

It is my understanding that the akra titanium has the hardest baffle removal process and it isn't as easy as just unscrewing a screw.
I know it's not easy, You have to unscrew the screw, take a wooden dowel and push it through the incoming exhausts side if the muffler and tap it with a rubber mallet until it comes out. I made it sound easier than it actually is, but my point was that it is removable and it can be done in under 20 minutes. So why would they not recommend removing the baffle if you can remove it like that? that was more my point. Sorry for the mis-communication.  Allan

Guest whitegas

Perhaps it is just the culture. Every other after market exhaust has a removable baffle. If one company decides to have a permanent baffle, how many complaints or suggestions would they receive on having a removable baffle?

Having a permanent baffle is pretty much a loss of sale. Having a removable baffle- it comes installed. It is hard to remove. You don't have to remove it. The company suggests not to remove it, but you still want to remove it and there you go... that's why the baffle is removable.

You are questioning it? This is pretty much you over-thinking things. You want to remove it, remove it. But don't ask why they allow you to. Because if they didn't allow you to, you will be asking why they don't allow you to remove it, and where does that get you?

But to answer your question, if you remove the baffle and you do not have proper fuel mapping to compensate, yes, it will ruin things in the long run.

Well that whole thing in my original post about the baffle being removable was just kind of a tangent rant of my thought process. Haha My real concern was about my engine. So does anyone know if the EJK is good enough for this the way it comes? I know it was programmed for use with the baffle in, but would the baffle removed make that much of an issue? I apologize if people thing i am being stupid and/or over thinking this, but I like knowing this kind of stuff before I make decision like this. So sorry again, but I appreciate all of your help.
Allan

I've been running my Ti without the baffle and with the EJK for about 2000 miles now with no problems. I do have the cat installed tho which may make up for the missing baffle a little bit. But yea I believe with the setup I have it is ok. I have not experienced any popping, backfires, or loss of power.

If you're that worried about it just rent the AFR tool they have and adjust the EJK to spec with your mods.

• Premium Member

Not to hijack the thread, but... I do mind if the exhaust is too loud, but...I also like a deep tone, and I definitely would not mind an increase in volume over stock.  I just don't want to pi$$ off my neighbors, (and everyone else), more than I already do. I've read that the Akrapovic doesn't sound much better than stock with the baffle (DB killer) in. I'd love some good sound clips, but even if those aren't around, I'd like to hear opinions of the Akra Ti with baffle.

Why can't left turners see us?

It does sound way better than stock even with the baffle in.

But it's legendary without it! Lol

• Global Moderator

My guess is that Akrapovic know the exhaust is not technically street legal without the baffle in and do not want to have an email saying that they recommend that. I would be happy that they said that it should not be a problem. That is probably the most they are comfortable admitting to in writing.

• Premium Member
My guess is that Akrapovic know the exhaust is not technically street legal without the baffle in and do not want to have an email saying that they recommend that. I would be happy that they said that it should not be a problem. That is probably the most they are comfortable admitting to in writing.
This. 
Akra Ti is the street legal version of the two exhausts they produce for the FZ07. When you remove the baffle without a fuel solution you will over time ruin your engine. With that being said if you want to wear ear plugs and hear the most amazing sound ever, then remove the baffle.

Hm, I never thought of it that way. That actually makes a lot of sense. I still wonder if the EJK would be sufficient without the baffle even though it is tuned for the baffle being in? Would renting the SAFR tool or whatever it is from Dobeck and adjusting the air/fuel ratios solve this problem or is it something bigger than that? Allan

• Premium Member

The SAFR tool can't fix everything, but it would show a deficiency if it existed. It would be ideal to use anyway.

Granted their maps are well enough, but it wouldn't hurt to tune it to the local area and your bike specifically.

Everything went braap.

So how does the SAFR tool work anyways? I don't fully understand how to tune the EJK alone with all of the colors meaning different things and the 3 button system let alone how to apply the SAFR tool to the tuning I don't understand.

• Premium Member

It just gives a visual in real time showing the diagnostics of the fuel delivery system. The point being to install, then ride around like usual and observe. You'll find out if there's any lean or rich areas that need adjusting. (It's a gauge that plugs into your O2 sensor bung)

They'll give you the right #'s to put in from the start, which would work fine. You just polish it off to account for any variables.

Dobeck might have the recommended settings for the exhaust without baffle.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

After exhaustive study of the options (<- see what I did there), I decided to buy the Akra ti. I plan on keeping the DB killer in, because I'm not a fan of overly loud exhaust (It actually takes away from my riding enjoyment), but I did want something with a little more bass than stock. I'll post my review after I get it.

So how does the SAFR tool work anyways? I don't fully understand how to tune the EJK alone with all of the colors meaning different things and the 3 button system let alone how to apply the SAFR tool to the tuning I don't understand.
http://www.electronicjetkit.com/EJK-operation.asp
Viewing this EJK site will explain and actually let you do a walk thru and adjust the settings just as you would if the controller were in front of you. Just go to the bottom of the page and click on the "start demo". You'll understand and see how quickly it can be done.

Viewing this EJK site will explain and actually let you do a walk thru and adjust the settings just as you would if the controller were in front of you. Just go to the bottom of the page and click on the "start demo". You'll understand and see how quickly it can be done.
Hmm, ok. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It helps, but I'm still kind of confused... Haha Sorry if I'm being dumb and am just not getting this when it is really simple to understand. Lol So if my understanding is correct, When you increase the the green one, you will increase the fuel amount in the air/fuel mixture for the cruise/low rpm section in the rev range, so you are essentially just making it more lean or rich? And then the same goes for the yellow with the acceleration/mid rpm section of the rev range and the red for the full throttle/high rpm section of the rev range? Then the green-blue adjust where the EJK starts to take effect in the rev range from the stock fuel curve and for example, decreasing it from a setting of 2.5 to 1 would make the EJK go from starting to take effect from the stock fueling at 2,000 RPM at a setting of 2.5, to starting at 1,500 at a setting of 1? (By the way, those numbers are totally made up. They are just there for examples sake.) And the the same logic would apply to the yellow-blue for what rpm the acceleration/mid rev fueling takes over from the cruise/low rpm fueling, and for the red-blue it is what rpm the full throttle/high rev fueling takes over from the acceleration/mid rev rpm fueling? Is that correct? Haha I appreciate all the help. Thank you guys so much. Allan

I have Akra exhaust and funny thing is I read about the fuel controller on this site so was prepared to get one cuz I planned to remove my baffles. Then I spoke to the mechanic at local dealership and he explained that the MT runs richer than the FZ ( no smog/emissions check in Australia) so he recommended not using a fuel controller. So far it's been fine. I guess the richer mix helps make up for the smaller displacement 655cc on the MT.

I have Akra exhaust and funny thing is I read about the fuel controller on this site so was prepared to get one cuz I planned to remove my baffles. Then I spoke to the mechanic at local dealership and he explained that the MT runs richer than the FZ ( no smog/emissions check in Australia) so he recommended not using a fuel controller. So far it's been fine. I guess the richer mix helps make up for the smaller displacement 655cc on the MT.
I've read that the Australia version gets the CC's bumped down to 655. Why is that? I've been wondering?

Hmm, ok. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It helps, but I'm still kind of confused... Haha Sorry if I'm being dumb and am just not getting this when it is really simple to understand. Lol So if my understanding is correct, When you increase the the green one, you will increase the fuel amount in the air/fuel mixture for the cruise/low rpm section in the rev range, so you are essentially just making it more lean or rich? And then the same goes for the yellow with the acceleration/mid rpm section of the rev range and the red for the full throttle/high rpm section of the rev range? Then the green-blue adjust where the EJK starts to take effect in the rev range from the stock fuel curve and for example, decreasing it from a setting of 2.5 to 1 would make the EJK go from starting to take effect from the stock fueling at 2,000 RPM at a setting of 2.5, to starting at 1,500 at a setting of 1? (By the way, those numbers are totally made up. They are just there for examples sake.) And the the same logic would apply to the yellow-blue for what rpm the acceleration/mid rev fueling takes over from the cruise/low rpm fueling, and for the red-blue it is what rpm the full throttle/high rev fueling takes over from the acceleration/mid rev rpm fueling? Is that correct? Haha I appreciate all the help. Thank you guys so much. Allan
You're correct concerning the green, yellow and red. The tech. I spoke with at EJK said that the green, yellow and red were what you need to the main adjusting to. He added that the rpm switch points would mostly likely not be changed.

Allen, I'm not sure when it comes to the RPM switch point changes but in speaking with the EJK people they said that those switch points should be pretty much perfect when sent out and they would probably not need adjusting. A quick call to them and they could answer your questions, they are extremely helpful. It's winter here and I have not been able to mess with any sttings yet. But hopefully I will be able to shortly.

Ok. Thank you so much. That helps a lot. I appreciate it. It is winter where I live as well. Hopefully it will end soon, because I'm getting real sick of it.

• Premium Member

I got my exhaust today (Akrapovic Ti), and it looks awesome!  The welds and attention to detail seem top notch.
I won't be able to install it till this weekend at the earliest, but I've already done thing 1 - Take of the decals. :)
I also weighed it for reference, and it is 10.8 lbs (4900g) which includes exhaust 7.4lbs (3360g), header 3lbs (1360g), and  mounting bracket 0.4lbs (180g).
Here's a pic of the de-stickerised exhaust:
2015-03-11%2019.14.50_zpsmgzkhfxt.jpg
2015-03-11%2019.14.50.jpg?dl=0

I agree. The TI looks awesome. I won't be able to install mine until probably Monday. I think that the exhaust looks good without the sticker, but I think I'm going to keep mine on. I wish that they were like the euro version where it was a dark laser etching or something. That looks soooo much better IMO. @rowdy will you be running it with or without the DB Killer?

• Premium Member
I agree. The TI looks awesome. I won't be able to install mine until probably Monday. I think that the exhaust looks good without the sticker, but I think I'm going to keep mine on. I wish that they were like the euro version where it was a dark laser etching or something. That looks soooo much better IMO. @rowdy will you be running it with or without the DB Killer?
I agree that the lazer etching looks better than the sticker, and the sticker is definitely nicely designed and low key, but mine were lifting in the corners anyway, and nothing looks worse than a curling sticker. :)  I'm 99% sure I'm going to run mine with the DB killer in, because I've  heard enough vids, and reports of how loud it is without.  I really just want some lower, more enjoyable tone, but I'm not into the "louder is better" thing.  I know it sounds awesome without the DB killer in, but I think "awesome" could become "irritating", when doing long miles. JMHO! 

Archived