The MT-07 Forum

Intake DRL

p0k3yiii

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I agree with cheap is not always good, I was unsure how it would work..if i wanted to just install DRL for the whole bike body what cable do I tap into turning signals/headlight or something else?
I am far from an expert on this, but if it were me, I'd tap into the turn signal lines as most systems will kill the DRL to run turn signal so that the DRL doesn't wash out the turn signals.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I am far from an expert on this, but if it were me, I'd tap into the turn signal lines as most systems will kill the DRL to run turn signal so that the DRL doesn't wash out the turn signals.
In this this specific kit, there are three wires that link up with the OEM turn signal wires. One for the running light, one for the turn signal and the final one is for the ground. When you tap these three wires in properly to the wires for your turn signal, you will have the white LED on constantly with your turn signal running lights. Then when you engage the turn signal, just like in the stock turn signal the constant 12V DRL power goes away and the new pulsing 12V wire begins to have power running to it. The switch back strip is also tapped into this second wire of the turn signal that does this command so it pulses amber with the turn signal and shuts the white off. When the turn signal is disengaged, the pulsing 12V power to the second wire stops and the constant 12V power to the first wire starts back up and the white LEDs that are wired to that constant 12V first wire begin to constantly run with your turn signal DRLs again. The ground is just a ground and that is pretty self-explanatory. If you just wanted these to work as DRLs and NOT turn signals, all you do is tap the constant 12V DRL wire from your turn signal and the ground as well. Leave the second "Pulse" wire alone and just wrap some electrical tape around it. This allows the white LED DRL to be on when the turn signal DRLs are on, but still shuts the white of when the stock turn signals go on so the white doesn't wash out the turn signals and also does not engage the amber LEDs in the strip, so those won't go on with your turn signal. I hope that isn't too confusing and I hope it helps, but keep in mind, I am only referring to these specific LED switchback strips I bout and have pictured above.

• 4 months later...

After seeing this post I decided to go for this mod myself.

I ordered a way cheaper version of the LED switchback strips (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-set-60CM-LED-Flexible-DRL-Strip-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-With-Turn-Signal-LED-Tube/32296417187.html) and installed them in my intakes. Really looks cool in my opinion :) The strips look exactly the same as AlLan's and were packaged in the same manner. The wires, hardware and connectors are also the same as Allan's kit, but for a fraction of the price.
6p4YlCD.jpg

bH4kAxh.jpg

EWzbq0H.jpg

I decided not to wire up the blinkers as the orange from the strips wasnt really that bright.

In the pictures is also my LED bulb from Aliexpress (and a LED parking light from ali). It looks exactly like the Cyclops (minus the logo on the LED driver) for less than 1/4th of the price.

• Premium Member

As soon as I realized the intakes were real I decided I wanted to put led strips in them. Im curious though, did you tap into the drls going to the turn signals or the marker bulb under the headlight?

I tapped the LED strips to the 15A headlight fuse, I didnt know there was a DRL line running to the turn signals? Didnt see that on the schematics atleast

What is the DRL power used for? Front signals dont do anything when not flashing, altough I do have a MT-07 instead of a FZ-07

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

ALL of these neon led strips come from china. Its just a crap shoot who assembles which parts.
US companies scoop em up and charge 5 times what you would have payed if you were to order from a place like aliexpress. This IDENTICAL kit is about 15 bucks with free shipping to boot.

i

Just a warning for the wise, don't waste your money on cheep LEDs, the bulbs may last but the ballast goes bad pretty quick on most of the cheep stuff.  I bought some cheep LEDs for my license plate light and front running light and both went bad within less than 6 months.  You may get lucky but I have learned that if I'm gonna take the time to install these things, I will pay the extra dollar to get the better system so I don't have to do it twice because "time is money". 
I agree with cheap is not always good, I was unsure how it would work..if i wanted to just install DRL for the whole bike body what cable do I tap into turning signals/headlight or something else?

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
ALL of these neon led strips come from china. Its just a crap shoot who assembles which parts. US companies scoop em up and charge 5 times what you would have payed if you were to order from a place like aliexpress. This IDENTICAL kit is about 15 bucks with free shipping to boot.

They may seem identical because the Chinese are really good at knockoffs.  Materials will have the same labeling and everything, but they just apply labeling (safety, quality check) without authorization or clearance to do so.  This is the issue the world is having with Chinese products, even when they are busted, there really are no sanctions applied, maybe a slap on the hand in extreme cases.  When it comes to LEDs You Get What You Pay For.  Someone may get lucky 1 in 10 times buying the knockoff stuff, but chances are you'll get burned.  I learned the hard way.  I have no problem with other people doing the same, just trying to save a few people time, money and frustration. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Archived