The MT-07 Forum

Intake DRL

p0k3yiii

fooschnickens

Same here. My first thought when I saw the bike in the flesh was how cool it would be to have lights in the scoops since it wasn't blocked off. Would be super easy to daisy chain an extra set of turn signals inside there if you wanted to keep the stockers in place.

Guest whitegas

If you don't have OCD tendencies, I can see it working, but that extremely visible regulator heatsink on the clutch side would bother the **** out of me even though I won't be the one seeing it.

I had this same idea. The Retrofit Source was selling Switchback Silicon LED Strips that I was going to buy to do this with, but they were closeout items and someone else bought them before I could. I had this idea for integrated front turn signals and to put the rear turn signals here:
n9iYvCf.jpg
Under the blue mesh. This would get rid of both the sets of stock turn signals. I want to do this over the summer.

• Premium Member

Freak coolest mod I have seen for the bike. Gotta look into this for additional lighting even if just as turn signals to help cagers see me! Love it!!

That'd be pretty cool, but I'd worry about visibility during the day behind the mesh.
I did too but I think I have a solution for this. The piece of plastic that is behind the blue mesh on the back of the bike, I plan on wrapping it with chrome mirror vinyl so it can act as a reflector. This should increase visibility by a lot.

I don't know. It looks pretty visible in the video. It looks like it illuminates the whole mesh panel, and that mesh that becomes lit up is bigger than the stock turn signals. As far as the brightness of the amber turn signal parts, those don't look the brightest, but I bet they look brighter in real life than in the video.

fooschnickens

Well sure it looks bright in a dimly lit room. What happens when you get out in the sunlight? No sense calling them DAYTIME running lights if they're essentially useless during the time of their intended use.

Well then I could just do what that guy did and have them only turn on at night. To each their own. We'll have to see what they actually look like. I'll be testing them out in the future.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

So cool

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

ill probably do some flush mounted front drls in conjunction with the intake leds. back just the integrated tail no indicators

• Premium Member

This is a cool idea. This setup should be called night time running lights. If I were to set this up, I would not use them as turn signals and actually use them as straight DRL's.

ill probably do some flush mounted front drls in conjunction with the intake leds. back just the integrated tail no indicators
This is probably what I will end up doing in the future

fooschnickens
This is a cool idea. This setup should be called night time running lights. If I were to set this up, I would not use them as turn signals and actually use them as straight DRL's.
Aye, although wiring them to turn off or blink would help with visibility. Lots of cars that use LED DRLs have them turn off when the blinker is in use because the white nearly masks out the blinker completely. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm tempted to. Seems rather cheap to do as well.

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm tempted to. Seems rather cheap to do as well.
I ordered the strips earlier this month. Should be here soon. Will let you guys know when they get here.

So, I just received the LED switchback strips. I went with these ones after doing some research and going on HID Planet and reading the The Retrofit Source was selling a few of these and an HID Planet forum member actually bought them and said he recommends these. I have to say, I am actually very pleased with the overall quality of them. I mean, for the price though, I should be. They don't feel cheap in any way and the finish is very professional. Here is what the kit looks like when you open it and take the stuff out of the bag:

cnZuOFQl.jpg

It comes with 2 of the switchback strips and 2 switchback controllers. It also comes with end caps for the silicon strips so you can cut them and seal the end off. There are also some holders for the silicon strips to drill into whatever you are going to mount it on, but I think 3M double sided tape will work much better in this application.

4R7hp5Ll.jpg

Here's a close up of the switchback switches, end caps and holders:

0q4yx8sl.jpg?1

I was pretty impressed with the brightness. As others have pointed out, it really doesn't look like it would be bright enough to replace the turn signals, but it is still really bright. I plan to use these as supplementary turn signals and DRLs. Here is the White LED DRL:

kkrmfbul.jpg

Here is the Amber turn signal part:

0LXvI5Gl.jpg

I think they look pretty darn good. The only problem is, they are so long and I would only need about half the length they are to do this mod. I plan on doing this mod eventually. Right now my life is very hectic with my spring semester wrapping up and exams and what-not. I may do a how-to when I install this if anyone is interested. Let me know what you guys think/if you want a how-to. Overall, would buy them again. Looking forward to doing this.

• Premium Member

@panzer716 -- I'm just digging the pants! Dolla dolla bills, y'all! :D

Seriously I wonder how those would look if you were able to curl them up into loose spirals behind the intake screens -- maybe pretty cool

@panzer716 -- I'm just digging the pants! Dolla dolla bills, y'all! :D 
Seriously I wonder how those would look if you were able to curl them up into loose spirals behind the intake screens -- maybe pretty cool
Yeah. Haha those are my money pajama bottoms. Lol 100 dollar bills man! But I wouldn't do loose spirals because they may shift over time and you might not be able to see them as well. I would fasten them in layers to make use of as much of the strip as possible. I have to take the side panels off and see what I have to work with.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
before just seeing this thread today, I ordered this lights to make this work..I doubt they will be as bright as the ones bellow but is good to know there are better options out there.. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221063433000?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Just a warning for the wise, don't waste your money on cheep LEDs, the bulbs may last but the ballast goes bad pretty quick on most of the cheep stuff.  I bought some cheep LEDs for my license plate light and front running light and both went bad within less than 6 months.  You may get lucky but I have learned that if I'm gonna take the time to install these things, I will pay the extra dollar to get the better system so I don't have to do it twice because "time is money".

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
before just seeing this thread today, I ordered this lights to make this work..I doubt they will be as bright as the ones bellow but is good to know there are better options out there.. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221063433000?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Just a warning for the wise, don't waste your money on cheep LEDs, the bulbs may last but the ballast goes bad pretty quick on most of the cheep stuff.  I bought some cheep LEDs for my license plate light and front running light and both went bad within less than 6 months.  You may get lucky but I have learned that if I'm gonna take the time to install these things, I will pay the extra dollar to get the better system so I don't have to do it twice because "time is money". 
I agree with cheap is not always good, I was unsure how it would work..if i wanted to just install DRL for the whole bike body what cable do I tap into turning signals/headlight or something else?

@tino206, If you just want to use them as DRLs, you should just be able to hook them up to the parking/running light that your bike has a wire going to in the front. It would just send a constant 12V signal to it and just make it a running light.

And yes, I agree. When it comes to lighting and electronics, cheaper is almost never better. Let us know about those ones you ordered though. You never know, they might surprise us!

Archived