The MT-07 Forum

Post Your Rear Shock Setting...

schalicke

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Alright, this might be in my head but I have it set at factory 3. I am less than 130lbs with all my gear on. I decided to try out 4 today. Normally I'm on the balls of my left foot, all weight, bike sort of tilted unless I prop my right ass upwards then I can flatfoot my left feet but still I feel the weight. 
So oddly today after I set it to 4, I noticed my feet barely had any weight on it. It was just there keeping the bike upright, but I was all twinkle toes. I don't know if it was the road or my imagination but that's what I noticed today.
What you are referring to I think is what has previously been described as "setting the sag" of your bike.  Here are some previous discussions from this forum: 

http://fz07.org/post/19141/thread

http://fz07.org/post/597/thread

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• 1 month later...

145 lbs. all geared up. Still have it set to 3 (stock). I have not thought much about the rear shock yet because the front forks are SOOO bad, it's all I think about. Got to do something about those forks.

135lbs dripping wet. I have the shock set full soft!

The roads here are far from smooth with holes and frost heaves that look/feel like jump ramps. Bike was given to me 2 notches up from the bottom (so [HASH]3) and I got launched clean up out of the saddle a couple times in my 1st 50 mile ride. Sheesh, changed that as soon as I got home.

Now, at least I can feel the shock trying to deal with the nasty stuff instead of just transmitting it to my arse thru that nasty seat. ( ahhh, one more day before it arrives)

Mine is at 5. I'm 195 with gear. Will crank it up another couple notches. I'm thinking stiffer will inhibit the pogo stick effect.

Did a six hour ride today on some good twisties but the pavement had a lot of humps and bumps.

• 2 weeks later...
scobiwonkenobi

160 W/out gear - had it 5 since getting her home. Started taking passengers recently and bumped it to 8. Handled a bit better with passengers, FREAKING LOVE IT w/out passengers on 8.

2015 FZ-07 # 468

I'm 145 lbs and rode with 3 from the factory for 300 miles and I did notice the "pogo stick" effect a lot. I switched it to 4 and to me it feels much better. I'm not an aggressive rider but did come from a CBR 600 as my first bike and I think it's been fine on 4 for the past 400 miles.

Guest unknown

@tommy The manual describes the procedure. There is a wrench that looks sort of like a hook that came with your bike and should be in the toolkit under the rear seat. Use that to rotate the shock collar to stiffen or loosen.

howlinhoss

I would recommend wearing gloves when adjusting preload. If the tool slips your hand will hit metal. Save yourself some cuts. Wear gloves.

• Premium Member

I'm [HASH]145 and I've played around with it a bit now. It came on set to 3, it seemed a little soft. I moved it to 5 and it was definitely too firm over some bumps. I backed it down to 4 and it seems about right. I'm sure a better shock would make a world of difference, but it seems tolerable as it is to me.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Can someone that has many miles on the FZ/MT chime in and tell us what you have it dialed into? Then post your weight and riding style...ie hooligan or cruizer/communter.

Ive got less than 1k miles on her and would like to know what others have their setting on.

Guest unknown

When I had the stock shock on, I was running it at 8 as a "hoolgian/track day" rider. I'm 190 lbs in gear

New rider. >300 miles on it. 6'1" 200ish lbs. I cranked mine up to 8 I think pretty much from the get go. Don't have any reason for doing that other than I didn't think it should sag a whole lot when I sit on it. I don't find it uncomfortable or anything but like I said... Nothing to compare to.

scobiwonkenobi
Can someone that has many miles on the FZ/MT chime in and tell us what you have it dialed into? Then post your weight and riding style...ie hooligan or cruizer/communter. 

Ive got less than 1k miles on her and would like to know what others have their setting on.
160 lbs - 5'11 - 4500 miles - Daily Commuter - relatively aggressive riding style. Dialed to 8. I Kept it soft while learning her - dialed it in harder for passengers, now love how responsive it feels in turns - will definitely put in heavier weighted fork oil when the opportunity arrives.

2015 FZ-07 # 468

• Premium Member
phicurious86

[HASH]135, mostly commuting with some hooligan stuff. At 5 on the pre-load. I often ride 2 up though and my gf prefers that I bump it back down to 3. She's getting used to 5 =P

Mine is at 5. I'm 195 with gear. Will crank it up another couple notches. I'm thinking stiffer will inhibit the pogo stick effect.  
Did a six hour ride today on some good twisties but the pavement had a lot of humps and bumps.
More preload will compensate some for the lame damping available from the shock. But it's not meant for that purpose. Preload adjustment is really only meant to compensate for sag created by the weight plunked down on the seat. If there's not enough preload available, you'll need a higher spring rate.  
 This is likely a twin tube shock that really has no business being on its side as that'll turn it's fluid into a foamy mess after a while. Work it harder on a hot day and that'll just get worse throwing what little damping control it had out the window.. 

There's really only one solution for the problem - especially you guys carryin some heft - replace it with something decent (monotube, DeCArbon type or one with a remote reservoir) with a spring to match your weight and toss the OE pos in the bin. Then you can set (and forget) the preload for proper sag and then mess with rebound (and compression for those with big pockets) control for varying ride quality. 

• Premium Member
More preload will compensate some for the lame damping available from the shock. But it's not meant for that purpose. Preload adjustment is really only meant to compensate for sag created by the weight plunked down on the seat. If there's not enough preload available, you'll need a higher spring rate.  
 This is likely a twin tube shock that really has no business being on its side as that'll turn it's fluid into a foamy mess after a while. Work it harder on a hot day and that'll just get worse throwing what little damping control it had out the window.. 

There's really only one solution for the problem - especially you guys carryin some heft - replace it with something decent (monotube, DeCArbon type or one with a remote reservoir) with a spring to match your weight and toss the OE pos in the bin. Then you can set (and forget) the preload for proper sag and then mess with rebound (and compression for those with big pockets) control for varying ride quality. 
Ohlins 46DR with upgraded spring should be here Friday. 
Signed,
A guy carrying some heft

Signed,
A guy carrying some heft
 Yep, that 46DR (with a lighter spring rate than yours) is on my to-do list, soon. 
A guy who would only have to drop a few pounds to go super featherweight (sounds way better than 2 lbs up to "lightweight" lol). 

• Premium Member
Signed,
A guy carrying some heft
 Yep, that 46DR (with a lighter spring rate than yours) is on my to-do list, soon. 
A guy who would only have to drop a few pounds to go super featherweight (sounds way better than 2 lbs up to "lightweight" lol). 
Yeah I don't know how some of you adult men do it.  My 13 year old son weighs 140, and he is solid muscle and only 5'5".  Yes, I am pretty far overweight, but I can also squat 500lbs, so I have that going for me ;)

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Yeah I don't know how some of you adult men do it.  My 13 year old son weighs 140, and he is solid muscle and only 5'5".  Yes, I am pretty far overweight, but I can also squat 500lbs, so I have that going for me ;)
Cripes! Pretty sure your son could kick my 135 lb, 28 year old ass. It's all about the knees and back though man. I plan on still being able to play competitive ultimate at 50 :cool:

Mom was 4'10". In that respect, genetics was not on my side.

Do kids still line up in gym class by height? When the command was given to dress right, I was always the one at that right end looking forward. Doh!

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
speedingtickets

I am 260 with gear. I set the rear at 7, I went back to 6 for a day just to be sure and 7 was it. I ride very fast and hard. I just added preload adjusters and a little goes a long way. They come in above stock and just before the first marker is enough. My braking distance is better and I don't skid as easy with no more nose dive. 

It took 1/2 hour. I used a Pit Bull front tree with [HASH]33 pin and rear lift. Back the adjuster off all the way or you will never get it on. Don't forget the rubber O rings. Push yellow pin with thumb and twist on with hand, it is tough but it can be done. Once threaded, use a rag and an adjustable wrench so you don't scratch it, after about 50 1/8 turns you should have it on. 

I will buy a true supersport before doing any major suspension upgrades, these babies (SSR Preload Adjusters) are only $100

. [attachment id=635" thumbnail="1]

• 2 months later...

I've been playing with rear shock settings for a while. I'm 200 lbs gear included. What I found with pushing the bike hard:

At the stock setting of 3 the ride was nice but too spongy. Rebound is a bitch.

Worked my way up to 9 thinking rebound would be less. Wrong! Not only is the preload more so is the rebound. So I ended up with a back breaking ride over bumps and a vicious rebound.

So I went back down to 6 today and the ride was much improved. Dropped it back down to 5 for the next ride. I will settle at 5 or 6.

There is no getting around the lack of rebound dampening. Echoing others; overhauling the suspension is the only option for hard riding.

• Global Moderator

I know its a bit late to chime in
but here goes

260 and between 12 and 40 lbs extra in gear depending on the day... school books suck ass

I have 12,877 miles on my bike as of this post, stock shock preload at max... 9-10 whatever it is. Sag is 1.125" at the rear and .75" in front.
I commute 45-80 miles a day depending on school, but like a hooligan most of the time.

Ive been saving up to get them both swapped out but haves yet to do so.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived