The MT-07 Forum

MRA Double Bubble Windscreen-Three Month Review.

magsz18

So, its a naked bike.

Yes, purists will hate the fact that i put a wind screen on it.

The purists can dive off of a cliff as far as im concerned.  :P

The majority of my driving is done on the highway and within two weeks of owning this bike (my first bike mind you) i realized that the buffeting at speed was going to get old rather quick.  I started shopping around for wind screens and while this is a new bike, there are already quite a few offerings on the market.  I originally wanted the PUIG touring screen that is approximately 400mm's tall.  Two factors stopped me from getting the PUIG screen.

1.  Everyone was out of stock in mid December.

2.  The edges of the puig windscreen made me nervous.  I had visions of my head being chopped off in a high side crash...dont ask..i know, its overly dramatic. :)

As a result of these facts, i went back into shopping mode.  I stumbled upon the MRA windscreen, gave twistedthrottle a ring and went ahead and ordered it up.  The MRA screen is slightly shorter than the PUIG screen and originally i had some concerns about that but at 380mm's, its not much shorter and it does the job.  Speaking of the job.  Prior to the installation of the screen, anything over 65 was almost unbearable.  I absolutely HAD to tuck in behind the bike to stop myself from being batted around like any poor bastard that ever went up against Mike Tyson.

After the installation of the screen i can remain stark upright at 65 without any issues and i only have to start tucking in behind the screen after 75 mph.  The chest beating is no longer occurring and i am once again a normal human rather than the bobble headed impersonator sitting atop my bike.

Installation literally takes five minutes.  There are two brackets that mount up to the wind screen that utilize your OEM silver bolts.  Once the mounts are on and the screen is attached to the mount the whole assembly is rock solid and i have no concerns that it will ever loosen up.  A little blue loctite on the parts will ensure that it will stay mounted to the bike for as long as you want it to.

My only real gripe is that while the screen is very nicely molded and shaped, the edges arent rolled or beveled.  They're simply flat.  For 107 dollars i would have hoped that MRA would have produced a more finished product.  Still, that is a minor niggle and hardly a deal breaker.

I highly recommend this screen for anyone looking for something that isnt overly obtrusive and wont break the bank.  At 107 bucks before shipping, you're getting a great deal on a screen that is highly functional.

Let the sizzle reel roll!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Thanks for posting this review! I am still deciding which screen to get and your review was very helpful.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Screen looks really nice is the bike vinyl wrapped yellow or paint ?
PlastiDip! 
Six coats of yellow over the stock liquid graphite base.

Three coats of clear metalizer to gloss it up a little and add some sheen!

It cost me 40 bucks and should last a while. :)

I just ordered the Puig sportscreen for my FZ-09. It's the smaller of the Puig screens but when I looked at Puig's wind tunnel test, the taller screen actually didn't reduce that much more air.

The MRA is an great screen too.

Thanks for the write up, so you would say this is a solid choice?
Keep in mind that my sample size is that of one.  I have no experience behind the PUIG screen or any other for that matter. 
What i can tell you is that the MRA screen looks good, it performs well and it made the ride a whole heck of alot more comfortable for me.

Ultimately, i think it comes down to price, aesthetics and whether or not the screen is a fly screen or an actual screen that will deflect wind like the PUIG touring screen or this one.

As i said in the review, an inch difference between the two screens probably wont create a noticeable difference for a new rider.  However, a fly screen versus a screen like this is probably going to be apparent in the difference in performance.

• 2 weeks later...
My only real gripe is that while the screen is very nicely molded and shaped, the edges arent rolled or beveled.  They're simply flat.  For 107 dollars i would have hoped that MRA would have produced a more finished product.  Still, that is a minor niggle and hardly a deal breaker.

Just installed mine in smoke. I also really like the shape. With the Barkbuster Storms in place, the bike no longer looks like I forgot to put the screen back on. In fact, the 2 products look like they were designed to be together 

Did yours not come with some round edging? Mine did. It was still a bit too cold in my garage to try and put it on. But it takes away the unfinished look of those squared edges.   

I didnt use the plastic tubing that they sent me because it looked kind of chintzy.

If you get yours installed and it actually looks halfway decent mind putting up a photo?

I got it on part way on and then stopped. I think the screen will be better looking with than w/o. They give an extra long strip of that stuff. I couldn't decide where to start and stop. I'll probably go from top corner to top corner. One nice thing, it comes off easy enough.

I can post up a pict when it's on.

This is my favorite screen of the bunch that are out there. I'm glad I waited. It's not like i was gonna be riding since November anyway. Man, what a crappy, cold winter. Average temp in Feb. here was a whopping 20F.

MRA makes a winglet thing called Xcreen that can be bought as a clamp-on or screw-on version. The wing articulates full up or completely down - almost flush with the original screen. I might also go that route, but that decision is down the road - literally.

Rick,

I felt the same way. I had no clue where i wanted to start and stop. When i originally looked at the plastic tubing i figured it would be something that would wrap around the entirety of the exposed screen edge but alas, we are not that lucky. :)

Post a picture when you're all done so that maybe i can get inspired! :)

Here ya go. Don't think I care much for those metal clips out at the ends. i might just put a wee dab of silicone to hold the edging instead. 

Wee doggy. 2 dyas in a row with above average temps instead of 20F below normal. Most of the snow is history. With some rain, hopefully the salt will also be gone. I'm itchin to try out that screen.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1291_zps2dycjfx2.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1293_zpsh7hgodoc.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1292_zpslp47flyr.jpg

fooschnickens

Hmm, I'm liking the looks of this one. I wanted one that stood a bit higher so that I could tuck a phone mount behind it but didn't end up looking like a touring screen.

If only the DPM screen were a bit larger... *grumbles*

I'm reserving judgement until I get some miles with this screen in place. But if I find it's not enough for longer highway runs or when it starts to get colder (again, darn-it) , there's this

Its definitely not a touring windscreen.

In my mind, it is a happy compromise between a gigantic piece of plastic grafted to the front end of our bikes and something that looks sporty.

This is right in between those two ranges and i find that for me, it is effective enough. A touring windscreen would, without a shadow of a doubt be far more functional.

Touring screen? You mean like the barn door rode behind on that R90 in my avatar.

One question though - has it increased your in-helmet noise any. No fairing is always quieter than one with even a short screen. Something about how the air comes over the top of a short screen and swirls underneath the helmet that creates some roar. I've experienced it on both R100RS and K1100RS BMWs and my Aprilia as well.

Rick,

That's a great question but one that i cannot actually answer. My time on the bike without the windscreen was spent in an icon airmada that was slightly too big for me so the wind noise was pretty awful.

The time spent behind the windscreen has been spent in a Scorpion EXO-500.

What i CAN tell you is that if im riding with my chin in the air, the wind WILL invade the helmet.

If i tilt my chin just a teeny bit aggressively downward, the wind hits the chinbar and is not a problem. Im not talking about tucking here, a 3/4 tuck or anything of the sort, just a slight forward tilt of the head.

That touring screen in your avatar is awesome by the way. :)

Yeah they don't make fairings like that anymore. That was a Luftmeister (kid you not) brand fairing. It came color matched right down to the pinstriping. Non-BMW guys were buying Windjammers back then. The Luft-Blasters were a bit nicer. The bike was a 1996 R90/6 (affectionately nicknamed "The Brown Stain" by my buddies all riding inline 4, UJMs of the day) , pict was taken in 1981).

So that sounds perfect. If the brunt of the of the air blast hits me shoulder height and up, I'll be smilin'. Can't wait to find out.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, sorry this took so long to get back on this.

Took my 1st ride of the season today. Man, weeks later than usual. The weather has just been the pits here.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how the double bubble works. Had it up to 65 or so and the wind blast is no longer in my chest but more up at my shoulders now. My Arai is not as quiets as it was when there was nothing out there to block the wind, but that comes with the territory. Small windscreens or fairings with relatively short screens (my Futura, the K1100RS and R100RS that preceded it were no different) all create some roar inside a helmet. That's what earplugs are for.

But there's still plenty of smooth air so as not to get roasted on a hot day.

So great, can't wait to get in a nice long ride. to really get a feel for this set-up. Right now, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to un-nekkid this thing a bit..

Started riding the little FZ for about a week and a half now. Got this screen, plain version, on. I did only one ride without the screen at the beginning. So the difference is quite significant for me. First ride was tough. I kept wondering how I rode this last year lol. April is all windy here in DC. My average speed on daily commute on the freeway is 75mph. On the 'naked' ride, the wind pressure was making it almost hard to breathe plus 30 mph wind gusts tossed in, it was not fun. I didn't expect the little screen to make too much of a difference. But heck, it exceeded expectations!

With the screen, my upper body is nice and relaxed and I am not holding onto the handle bar for dear life. I ride with my natural hunch, or bad body posture at 5'11, and the air hits just under my chin and up. A bit on the top of shoulders. Wind gusts just swirl around me, or so it feels like. All this is true till about 75mph. If I want to cruise at 80mph, gotta scoot back on the seat more and tuck in. I am partially deaf, so can't tell much about wind noise. I use a Shark helmet and haven't noticed any significant buffeting. All in all, a very good buy imo. And I really like the look of the 'plain' version :)

With the screen, my upper body is nice and relaxed and I am not holding onto the handle bar for dear life. :)
yep, that's a perfect description.  

Archived