The MT-07 Forum

Help deciding on exhaust

fzpolice

Hey guys, so I've decided I definitely want to have an exhaust ready to go on my bike when I get it next week. Problem is, being such a new bike, I don't have a whole lot of options for exhaust videos, making it really hard to decide what to get.

I almost bought the Ixil Hyperlow on eBay until the seller took down the listing right before I won it for $500.

My preference is something decently loud, with a deep throaty rumble. I drive a 5.0 Mustang and I don't want my bike to sound wimpy by comparison.

I know everyone is going to say Akropovic, but I find them overpriced and I also don't want something everyone has. If it really is worth the extra money, so be it.

• Premium Member

I like the sound of the Delkevic slip on. Others have said the same about the M4. Sadly, there's no way I can let you hear it. @marthy has a few soundbites. Still, for being low qual, the sound sold me. In the real world, it did not disappoint.

I know - pretty useless, even for free advice.

Everything went braap.

I went M-4 on my Fz-09 and it is loud as all hell. Dobeck performance has a sweet M-4/Ejk Fuelcontroller package. I took the baffle out, rode around the block and put the baffle right back in because it was too loud without baffle. My wife can hear me a 1/2 mile away with the baffle.

Two Brothers w/o the powertip is very mean and loud. With the powertip installed, it is just right I think. But it is on the higher price end for full system but I like how it looks and performs so far.

Guest whitegas

M4 sounds throaty to me. But you either need the tools to cut it/grind properly (your stock pipes), have a friend who has the tools, or pay straight time for someone to do it.

Akra titanium WITHOUT baffle sounds that way as well. Double the price though. Can't comment on its carbon one.

I don't know. Just know whatever video you see and hear won't do any justice no matter how well it was recorded. Even Russian Rider's vid with dedicated sound recorder can't do the Yoshimura exhaust justice. Whatever you hear, just assume it will be 3x louder.

The sound bites will never really do the exhaust justice.

I have an IXIL and it sounds completely different from every soundbite i watched online in person. Am i satisfied? Given the price, ease of installation and the way it came out, yes.

Do i wish i had gone for the Yoshi...maybe, but i believe i have grass is greener on the other side syndrome. I chose the IXIL because it has less of a "rice" sound to it, ie a whine and more of a rumble and grumble, low down, throaty kind of sound. I also chose the IXIL because i dont really like cans, i prefer pipes and it looked amazing to me.

So, in the end, buy based on what you like the look of, what may perform the "best" and also what you perceive to sound the best.

There ARE actually sound clips for basically EVERY exhaust out there. Some are better than others but its up to you to scour youtube.

Guest whitegas

Eh.. I don't think it will ever be possible for any exhaust to make the FZ07 to sound ricey. When I think of rice motorcycles, all I can think of is high pitched 4 cylinders.

Yes but, My god, it was so easy to do. I cut mine with a hacksaw in a vise and then borrowed my buddy's grinder to grind the weld down before slipping the M-4 over it.

But keep in mind, it's just a noise maker. A very expensive noise maker. And that's why I went with the M-4, because it really only adds minimum performance to the bike and I wanted to save money for Fuel Controller, ECU flash and Suspension. But to each their own and I see people spending tons of cash on Noisemakers and more power to em.

M4 sounds throaty to me. But you either need the tools to cut it/grind properly (your stock pipes), have a friend who has the tools, or pay straight time for someone to do it. 
Akra titanium WITHOUT baffle sounds that way as well. Double the price though. Can't comment on its carbon one.

I don't know. Just know whatever video you see and hear won't do any justice no matter how well it was recorded. Even Russian Rider's vid with dedicated sound recorder can't do the Yoshimura exhaust justice. Whatever you hear, just assume it will be 3x louder.

Sorry guys, your advice ended up falling on deaf ears because I'm now the proud owner of an Ixil Hyperlow Black.

I thought the eBay seller removed the listing, but apparently I won it. Just got the confirmation email late.

I hope I like it. Dunno if I could really go wrong for $500 shipped.

• Premium Member

Ooooooh I really want to see the hyperlow black on one of ours. Ixil's site pictures just aren't the best quality. What color is your FZ?

• Premium Member

Ive got a 5.0 mustang in the garage too with long tubes, offroad xpipe and flowmaster super 44s, so i wanted the bike to have a nice deep throaty sound too. Very happy with my arrow exhaust system!

Ooooooh I really want to see the hyperlow black on one of ours. Ixil's site pictures just aren't the best quality. What color is your FZ?

Graphite. There will be pics and videos when I've got it on!

Ive got a 5.0 mustang in the garage too with long tubes, offroad xpipe and flowmaster super 44s, so i wanted the bike to have a nice deep throaty sound too. Very happy with my arrow exhaust system!

Awesome! I was sold on the Arrow at first, but kept going back and forth between if I liked the extended exhaust or not.

What year is your 5.0? Are you on Mustang Forums?

• Premium Member

Ive got a 95. I built a motor with H/C/I and a few other goodies so its pretty fun. I was on the mustang forums but not much recently
What year is your car?

2014. I was gonna hold out for the 2015s but I just don't know if I can get into em. Didn't want to wait so pulled the trigger a few months ago.

• Premium Member
2014. I was gonna hold out for the 2015s but I just don't know if I can get into em. Didn't want to wait so pulled the trigger a few months ago.
Nice, Ive been thinking about selling my mustang,and then trading up my daily driver for a 14 GT. not sure about the 15's yet

• Premium Member
Do you guys think the M4 will come down in price after a few months?

Doubt it. They'll see increased demand in a few months as Yamaha moves more units and people arouse to exit their caves.

Everything went braap.

I sold my 02 GT and am in love with the 15, to the point I can't even think about getting one compared to the new body.
However, my goal is to buy 2 condos in the next 5 years, earn my masters in Education and begin earning money of rental properties. End goal is to be back in Thailand permanently in 7 years or so, I will be 33 at the end of next month, so I doubt I will have the income free enough for a 2015 GT :/

And to bring it round on point, I think I might be looking at an Ixil sx1 as it's similar to the leovince but much cheaper. I am looking forwards to the dyno.

Nice, Ive been thinking about selling my mustang,and then trading up my daily driver for a 14 GT. not sure about the 15's yet

Do it man. You'll probably get an awesome closeout deal being end of gen.

I absolutely love mine. I drive it like a grandma for the most part, and when I occasionally get on it it always puts a huge grin on my face. My regional forum is meeting at a local dyno shop in May. Hoping for about 415RWHP.

Archived