The MT-07 Forum

Very hot weather pant recommendations?

so1102

• Premium Member

Anyone have any riding pant recommendations to help me survive the extreme Phoenix heat?  I already have a mesh jacket, gloves and boots, and I also use Bohn mesh underwear armor under regular jeans, but I was looking for something perhaps a bit cooler to wear on my commute.  Something with an optional liner would be ideal as I could wear these in our frigid winters too (it sometimes gets down to 50 during the day time! 8-) )

I'm not a small guy at 250 -- I wear a 38x32 levi's jean

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I actually wear composite material riding pants. They have an optional liner and are mesh vented much like your jacket. There are many brands and types out there but I am a Scorpion brand man. I burnt my old riding pants and will buy a pair of new Scorpion pants here soon.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I recently bought a pair of Duluth Trading Firehose work pants. Very abrasion resistant without being overly thick or heavy. Croch gusset for bending/moving, super comfy. I read about people using them for riding on other forums, so I figured I'd try a pair. Reading random reviews online...they seem pretty dang tough, riding or otherwise. Plus, for $50 instead of $100+ I figured it'd be a good starter pant to try.

Looks like they even have a "summer" version blended with polyster for hot temps, but you still get the firehose canvas material.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-cooldry-fire-hose-summer-work-pants-95115.aspx

• Premium Member

Just a friendly reminder, that polyester in the blend is likely going to melt as your ass slides across the pavement. Things get real hot, real quick in such a scenario. I guess worse things could happen though.

Everything went braap.

I doubt a blend with thick cotton canvas would cause any issues with melting, but who knows. If you want to avoid the polyster, they have the original firehose pants, and their DuluthFlex firehose pants, which are a bit thinner and have a little more stretch in them.

• Premium Member

I never rolled down the road, but I was doing a lot of welding in pants I -thought- were 100% cotton. Turns out it was a bit of a blend.

Long story short, a little slag fell on my thigh. I was able to brush it away before it burned entirely through but had to check myself out anyway. A quarter sized chunk of burnt skin came off along with my pantaloons. Something that should not have happened with pure cotton.

YMMV, I just think it would be terrible to endure if something similar happened after a good tango with the tarmac.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I have a pair of Textile joe rocket alter ego pants with a removable liner, and zippers to expose some mesh areas. I made it through our summer here with them being pretty comfortable, although your weather is a little warmer I imagine

• Premium Member
I have a pair of Textile joe rocket alter ego pants with a removable liner, and zippers to expose some mesh areas. I made it through our summer here with them being pretty comfortable, although your weather is a little warmer I imagine
I don't know -- does it stay above 110 for two months in Vancouver, only dropping to the low 100's in the wee hours?  :)

• Premium Member

I think there's always going to be a give/take when it comes to protection and what will be cooler (temp-wise) to wear.
So in the end, it's what you personally want that gets priority.

There's the knee/shin guard route that can go over a pair of pants.

Or you could always just go bare ass... 8-)

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 1 year later...
I don't know -- does it stay above 110 for two months in Vancouver, only dropping to the low 100's in the wee hours?  :)
I know this thread has been up awhile but I don't see where you found a solution so here it goes. It's hot enough in Fl. so I can't imagine how you must feel riding in a desert. I bought these mesh pants (were cheap) awhile back but they were too big, so I returned them. I never re-ordered so I can't really speak for how well they worked in the heat but i can say they weren't polyester and they did have some abrasive quality to them. They did feel heavy, like mesh jacket does but they have to be cooler than regular jeans. IDK, you would have to try them out to see for yourself if they work well in hellish heat. I just bought some Bohn under armor yesterday for the legs myself and wore them under regular jeans. Although they are made with the mesh material the mostly solid material (the armor) makes the legs heat up and sweat some, maybe a degree or two hotter so it's no big deal. My guess is although they're black (which absorbs heat) the mesh will bring some airflow that jeans can't. good luck! 

https://www.amazon.com/Firstgear-515242-Motorcycle-Riding-Pants/dp/B00440ZYDA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470321908&sr=8-3&keywords=mesh+motorcycle+pants

Beemer

• Premium Member

I actually bought a couple of different pairs of mesh pants (in white), and for extra protection I wear my Bohn bodyarmor underneath. Tons of airflow.

I actually bought a couple of different pairs of mesh pants (in white), and for extra protection I wear my Bohn bodyarmor underneath. Tons of airflow.
Excellent! Do you have a link to the white ones?  
*UPDATE: these are the only white ones that I've found so far that I like. Do they look as good as yours? They do have a removable liner, check the specs.

https://www.amazon.com/SEDICI-Arturo-Mesh-Motorcycle-Pants/dp/B00IPYR0Z6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470326788&sr=8-4&keywords=mesh+motorcycle+pants

Beemer

• Premium Member
Excellent! Do you have a link to the white ones?  
*UPDATE: these are the only white ones that I've found so far that I like. Do they look as good as yours? They do have a removable liner, check the specs.

https://www.amazon.com/SEDICI-Arturo-Mesh-Motorcycle-Pants/dp/B00IPYR0Z6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470326788&sr=8-4&keywords=mesh+motorcycle+pants
I actually have a pair of these, and they are all right.  I like em, although they are more light gray than white.  I also have a pair of Icon Anthem 2 mesh pants as well that I need to lose some weight to wear because they are sized a bit more snugly than I thought in the waist.

• Premium Member

I have these: REV'IT! Airwave 2 Pants

I've had the regular Airwave pants too.

They flow a TON of air. Knee and hip protectors are included. Fit nice. Comfortable and I feel protected when I ride.

I don't know about AZ heat though. Up in NY it doesn't get that hot!

On the hottest of days around here I'm pretty good with all my REV'IT mesh gear. (Pants & Jacket)

No liner though. Sorry bud.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• Premium Member

[attachment id=2089" thumbnail="1] :D ...a dab of sunscreen and voila!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

:D ...a dab of sunscreen and voila!
In a slide a heavy coat of sunscreen will allow you to leave a long, greasy trail like a bug on a windscreen, awesome!  :o

Beemer

I lived in North Queensland until a couple of years ago. It's the tropics. That is it is ONLY EVER HOT and very humid. I found RST adventure pants with zip vents to be good ( NOTHING is good when you aren't riding) and well as working well in the cold and wet when touring down south.
http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/RST-Pro-Series-Adventure-II-Black%7B47%7DSilver-Pants.html?gclid=CPSn1-n1rc4CFdOSvQodOLAFOg

I did find they are one to one and a half sizes bigger than they say they are. ( ie I used thier chart and it indicated I needed XL. Bought them and the were ridiculously too big. Ordered Large. They would fit but still too big. Ended up with medium which fit well.

For short rides I use Draggen Jeans

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
:D ...a dab of sunscreen and voila!
In a slide a heavy coat of sunscreen will allow you to leave a long, greasy trail like a bug on a windscreen, awesome!  :o

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived