The MT-07 Forum

Fork upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

On 6/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, Carpetbombing said:

I have a separate thread on this, but just to add another option - Mupo has emulators (they call it their 'Hydraulic Kit') and full cartridge conversions (they call them 'Caliber 22') for the FZ/MT-07. The Hydraulic Kit is under $200, and has separate compression and rebound shim stacks. I installed them a few weeks ago and for my street purposes they're absolutely brilliant. Who knows, maybe I'm rusty and easily impressed. I don't know anything about the 'Caliber 22' system except that they exist. More options to muddy the waters.

More options are certainly better than less.. particularly given that most of the available options all have their own unique flaws still.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Imagine how I feel having these in my possession for a week after waiting over a month to have them shipped:

53077C5F-66BE-48B8-B207-3CB9570C17AA.jpegCompatible, Yes. Unable to commit a time slot, Yes. Nix-22, and springs, Yes. I’ll get at it tomorrow now that I have 25.4 mm of time. The weekend is near and 50F is looking about right for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fzar said:

Imagine how I feel having these in my possession for a week after waiting over a month to have them shipped:

53077C5F-66BE-48B8-B207-3CB9570C17AA.jpegCompatible, Yes. Unable to commit a time slot, Yes. Nix-22, and springs, Yes. I’ll get at it tomorrow now that I have 25.4 mm of time. The weekend is near and 50F is looking about right for me.

Nice! Looking forward to hearing your opinion once installed and on the road. We will have to compare notes 😉

• Premium Member
On 2/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, fzar said:

Took a quick ride around the neighborhood today, seeming it hit 40F. No setup other than recommended by Ohlins. Man these are a lot stiffer but somehow not in a negative way,  they just felt right. I think its the compression and pre-load that make them feel stiffer as in (not diving) and the rebound makes them come back with a sleek feel, if that makes sense. I was expecting the pogo feeling ya know!! what you put in you get out of situation, front braking.

Tomorrow I'll try to take her for a good run and see whats what, unfortunately Sag # will have to take a back seat as I dont have anyone to help right now, ahh you know what I might just buy the tool that allows you to do it yourself as its been an ongoing issue trying to find someone reliable to take measurements accurately.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fzar said:

Tomorrow I'll try to take her for a good run and see whats what

I was impressed from the first ride when I fitted them, ‘plush’ but still firm is a good descriptor. I track ride my bike too (ohlins rear shock also), but it’s on variable quality roads where the cartridges really improve the ride over the stock damper rods. I’m very happy with my setup, and can now make the most of sticky hypersport tyres.

• 1 month later...
  • Global Moderator
9 hours ago, Balooz115 said:

For the swap . I can take the frontend of the R6 and the R1  but why not the front end of the FZ09 SP?

I think the R6 or R1 front end is preferred because they are easier to find and there are a lot of options for upgrades.

35 minutes ago, br4nd0n said:

I'm just curious if a ZX6R front with Showa forks would be plausible.

Anything is possible but putting Honda parts on your Yamaha? Blasphemous. Lol.

I think you'd need to have custom tripples and a stem made to convert it to fit, and different wheel spacers and different rotor offsets and certainly some machine work...or are you going to use Kawasaki wheels too? Almost anything can be made to work, it's just way easier to stay in one ball park. Hence most using R6 stuff, which is arguably some of the best and just a bearing swap away (plus tuning and upgrades in geometry to work right), at least it's supremely upgradable. Just curious.

I didn't realize the R6 was pretty much a straight replacement excluding the bearings. I just happened to see the prices of the ZX6R vs the R6 on ebay and wondered if the cheaper Kawi parts would be worth it. I'm not really looking to swap at the moment, but wanted to know my options for on the cheap. 

Just now, br4nd0n said:

I didn't realize the R6 was pretty much a straight replacement excluding the bearings. I just happened to see the prices of the ZX6R vs the R6 on ebay and wondered if the cheaper Kawi parts would be worth it. I'm not really looking to swap at the moment, but wanted to know my options for on the cheap. 

Honestly unless you already had an r6/zx6/gsxr front end lying around your best bet (financially) is upgrading your stock forks. There's a level of sweetness for everyone's budget, from $100 emulators and a fluid change to $3000 gas charged cartridges. Upgraded stock forks are very capable on the street and even to the highest levels of racing when properly done.

Some folks can and have done ridiculous things to these bikes for the sake of better/faster/lighter/cheaper/cooler/different/cuz I can or whatever reason. You could certainly retrofit some Showa legs into r6 trips with a top bearing swap but again to what end? Before I spent $750 for a used set of questionable forks I'd get a set of Andriani's for $595 spend a buckfifty getting them installed and rock on. Or do AK20's or don't get me started 😉

2 hours ago, br4nd0n said:

Lol, $750... my cheap ass was looking at ~$200-$300 max on ebay

Umm, that's fine if they're decent but for that kinda ching you're buying someone's junk. You're gonna have a full rebuild looking you in the face, another $350 minimum if you don't have bent legs $. I wish this stuff was that cheap...but then I love a challenge too...If it's inexpensive you want try a set of emulators and better fluid, you'll know what you got and they'll be fresh for your $200-300.

End rant

$.02

Thanks for giving your thoughts. Like I was saying, I'm not really looking to do it, but was curious has to how feasible and how cheap you could go without having it break or kill you. Heck, it's been really tough for me to even find the time to do the rear shock swap that I was trying out for the community.

• 2 months later...

If I replace the front springs on FZ07 ( was thinking K-Tech progressives) do I need to replace the fork oil or use original stock oil? Bike only have 1500 miles

11 hours ago, SeanB said:

If I replace the front springs on FZ07 ( was thinking K-Tech progressives) do I need to replace the fork oil or use original stock oil? Bike only have 1500 miles

Replace it, it's cheap and the factory stuff is automatic transmission grade waste oil they buy from McDonald's after they make french fries. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got my first FZ-07 from someone that crashed the front and it appears the tubes are bent. If so many are upgrading the original FZ-07 forks, would it be better to use forks from another model since the current forks need replacement, or replace the forks with the OEM forks and then rebuild them?

I am approximately 174 pounds give or take, and will use this mostly for urban riding, with some  occasional paved twisties when I get the chance.

Some have mentioned R1 and R6 front end swaps. Is that the forks only, or complete  swap of the triples as well?

I'm on a budget as well. I appreciate all your experienced insight and suggestions. Thanks.

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

Got my first FZ-07 from someone that crashed the front and it appears the tubes are bent. If so many are upgrading the original FZ-07 forks, would it be better to use forks from another model since the current forks need replacement, or replace the forks with the OEM forks and then rebuild them?

I am approximately 174 pounds give or take, and will use this mostly for urban riding, with some  occasional paved twisties when I get the chance.

Some have mentioned R1 and R6 front end swaps. Is that the forks only, or complete  swap of the triples as well?

I'm on a budget as well. I appreciate all your experienced insight and suggestions. Thanks.

Get hold of Matt Spicer at Robem Engineering, @Spatt. He had some stock forks for sale that came off race bikes he had converted to r6 fronts. I'm sure he'd hook you up. For every day toodling the stock forks are an easy upgrade away from funzy and plenty good. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
10 hours ago, JohnZ said:

I believe the R1/R6 swap requires different triples as well.  It is definitely overkill unless you are racing or have a fat wallet.  Upgrading the stock forks is the way to go for most of us, it is what I did.  

• Like 2

Thanks mjh937.  I will take your advice. Any idea where I can get a set of replacement forks on a budget?

You mentioned you upgraded your forks, in what way? Did you change the spacers, oil, or go with different springs? Did it make a big difference? I would definitely like to feel more planted around curves and reduce excessive bounce.

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, JohnZ said:

Thanks mjh937.  I will take your advice. Any idea where I can get a set of replacement forks on a budget?

You mentioned you upgraded your forks, in what way? Did you change the spacers, oil, or go with different springs? Did it make a big difference? I would definitely like to feel more planted around curves and reduce excessive bounce.

I did the Matris cartridge system.  It was about $600, but you can get decent results for a lot less money with the right springs and oil.  I replaced the rear shock first (with a Nitron R1) and was amazed how much better it made the front end feel.  The stock shock is the weakest part of the suspension, which is not what I thought before I upgraded.  I was certain the forks were the main problem. 

If I was doing it again and being sensible with the spending I would replace the shock and do new springs and oil in the forks.  You would get 90% of what I have for half the money.  

Hopefully you can find someone that is making a race bike who will sell you their old forks.  I know there are some guys on the forum that have done the R1 or R6 swap so there must be some stock forks around that someone would be willing to part with.

• Like 3