The MT-07 Forum

Fork upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

the Matris (and Ohlins) cartridge kit are drop-in. No more difficult than doing Traxxion damper rods - I would argue easier. If just playing with oil, start with 45cSt@40 though apparently you can go as high as mid-90's and it still works "good enough" per our Scandinavian friends running the Ohlins spring+oil kit.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen any idea what would be a better front fork set up for a commuter and some aggressive riding on weekend. Bitubo JBH or Andreani?

• Like 1

The Bitubo JBH/Matris/NIX-22 all share a key benefit - simple drop-in solution requiring zero alterations to the fork. The Andreani, Traxxion AK-20, and my GSXR-based solution require a permanent modification. The Andreani, Matris, and NIX-22 all need varying degrees of reworking of the internals to perform acceptably for street use. After that it boils down to price.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
The Bitubo JBH/Matris/NIX-22 all share a key benefit - simple drop-in solution requiring zero alterations to the fork. The Andreani, Traxxion AK-20, and my GSXR-based solution require a permanent modification. The Andreani, Matris, and NIX-22 all need varying degrees of reworking of the internals to perform acceptably for street use. After that it boils down to price.
I've been considering suspension upgrades lately (and budgeting them, sigh) - why are the Bitubo JBH's not listed on the list at the beginning of this thread? Also, the Traxxion kit is currently $300. Deciding between the JBH and Traxxion damper kit is gonna be tough. It'd be nice to be able to adjust without disassembly for a passenger using the JBH kit, though.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

The Traxxion "enhanced damper rod and gold valve" isn't in the same league as proper cartridges.
I'll go update the top post with the Bitubo info. Thanks for pointing it out.
Updated some missing/out-of-date prices.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 months later...
heartofperformance

For daily long commute, super+plush touring like setup, what would be best?

My apology for asking this generic question.

Would the Ohlins Nix-22 able to provide plusher, bumb-absorbing ride? Like a Concour etc

9 hours ago, heartofperformance said:

For daily long commute, super+plush touring like setup, what would be best?
Would the Ohlins Nix-22 able to provide plusher, bumb-absorbing ride? Like a Concour etc

My in-house Showa mod is or has the potential to be the plushest by a healthy amount. Of the commercials, the Matris can get closer to ideal than the NIX or Andreani in reworked form. 

• Thanks 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

How does one obtain the in-house Showa mod?  I assume comp setting would not be external...I have CBRF4i swap onto my 5th gen VFR...and I have the CBR lowers so I have comp and rebound...but unless I'm on a really bumpy track, I don't worry about changing comp settings (hell they re-paved Nelson Ledges...what the hell is this world coming to...).

Matt

4 hours ago, Zupatun said:

How does one obtain the in-house Showa mod?  I assume comp setting would not be external

PM me. The comp is in the cartridge bolt so it's 'sorta' external - pull the axle out of the way to access the needle.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got a CBR600rr Shock and set it up and works great.

I firmed up the the front with sonic springs (.85 ) and adjustable preload caps and 15w PJ oil works better than stock.

The dampening up front over pot holes could still worked on, though its better than before...

My average speed is around 45mph in Hawaii, 

I ride on the following;

90% Streets (70% of the streets are pot holed)

10% Highways (Rarely go over 70mph)

What would the suspension gurus suggest?

I was thinking of getting GVE's next, would that really help much with pot holes?

Though I was thinking of getting the Traxxion gve/damper kit with a stiffer spring in case I ever tour this thing on the mainland.

Edited by Kyuzo

• Global Moderator

@pattonme has some great suspension options.  He is a supporting vendor and very active on the forum.  

On 3/4/2018 at 4:55 PM, Kyuzo said:

I got a CBR600rr Shock and set it up and works great.

What year did you get? Because unless it was 05-06 your shock is 11-17mm too short.

> I firmed up the the front with sonic springs (.85 )

you did? That's no different than stock rate. Actually you went down a little.

> 15w PJ oil

That's pretty heavy (55cSt@40) but it might be fine. If things feel choppy, you might want to thin it down some.

> thinking of getting GVE's next,

Or just drill the damper rods and see how that feels for you. If still not happy, try GVE. The GVE has you over-drill the damper rod and then uses a bleed orifice for small undulations and stability over braking, with a big blow-off valve when you hit a major bump. So yes, it definitely helps with pot holes.

Weight? Rider and Bike sag? 

> What would the suspension gurus suggest?

re-spring and re-valve your shock. Unless you're a bantam weight, you went down from 115N/mm to a 95N/mm.

Edited by pattonme
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On 3/5/2018 at 12:42 PM, pattonme said:

What year did you get? Because unless it was 05-06 your shock is 11-17mm too short.

> I firmed up the the front with sonic springs (.85 )

you did? That's no different than stock rate. Actually you went down a little.

Oh I thought they were .76, oh well...

> 15w PJ oil

That's pretty heavy (55cSt@40) but it might be fine. If things feel choppy, you might want to thin it down some.

I used same setup with with my 2000 SV650 worked great. Its hot here in Hawaii most of the year.

Maybe Ill drill my rods 1st, and see how that goes then maybe look into the GVE's

Thanks!

Again Im not complaining about flats, there are lots of sections of rough bumby and pot whole roads... Usually I go over them slowly under 30mph putting most of my weight on the pegs. Its just up front still kinda jarring. 

> thinking of getting GVE's next,

Or just drill the damper rods and see how that feels for you. If still not happy, try GVE. The GVE has you over-drill the damper rod and then uses a bleed orifice for small undulations and stability over braking, with a big blow-off valve when you hit a major bump. So yes, it definitely helps with pot holes.

Weight? Rider and Bike sag? 

My weight varies (butt naked weight) during the year 165# summer to 175# winter without gear. I never checked sag in front but I didnt deviate with springs, they were pratically the same size as OEM's maybe smaller by 1mm, have the preload adjusters set to about 1mm. I looked up stock settings for 2006 600rr Honda via manual and checked out forum members from that bike to see what they used on their compression and dampening. So for starters I set my shock (Preload @ -1, dampening  @ -1 and comp @ -1) click below factory setup seems to work great! I messed around, btw, setting them at the highest and lowest to see how it felt for shits and giggles. But yeah the roads here really suck so having them a tad softer really evens things out. The 600rr shock is night day compared to oem shock. Best $10 I spend on ebay and the bike ($15 to ship). 

> What would the suspension gurus suggest?

re-spring and re-valve your shock. Unless you're a bantam weight, you went down from 115N/mm to a 95N/mm

Thanks for the info! Theres no track here in Hawaii so I dont want things to get too complicated and involved. But If they ever do build a track I look into your fork setup and get a nice $700+ rear shock!

Thanks again for your help and info!

Edited by Kyuzo

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Kyuzo said:

Saw that Traxxion is making a new damper kit.

Looks like they incorporated their own valves into the damper rods...

Anyone try yet? 

Discuss

http://traxxion.com/product/ar-25-axxion-rod-damper-kit/

already discussed. Please continue discussion over there. But thank you for reminding me to put their entry on the 1st post.

Edited by pattonme
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

pattonme,

All of the links that say "forum thread" ( underlined) in the original post, no longer work.

• Sad 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

*sigh* the software replacement didn't port things over well (at all?)...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 1 month later...

How does the Gold Valve Cartridge Emulator Kit  compare to the Traxxion Dynamics  AR-25 AXXION ROD DAMPER KIT  ? 
Are you just better off doing the Matris Fork cartridge kit?
Riding will be street, twisites and highway. 

If you're going to spend the money on damper rods then take the AR-25 solution over the simple GVE route. But a crisp Benjamin will have you in style with the Matris F15k cartridge.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 months later...

@pattonme You did an Andreani set up on my FJ09, very impressed.  I'm 225lbs. geared up, easy riding tourer type.  Just had a quick couple of question if you have the time. Short answer is fine.  I just got a 2018 MT07.

For your own bike if you had to choose:

Matris MY1201KD.                           $500

K-Teck Razor-Lite                              $495

JRI 350 PRO.                                      $545

Hyperpro YA07-5AE.                         $485

Wilbur's 640-1141-xx.                       $450

Hagen M62092.                                 $350

YSS M2506-310 TRL-39.                  $499

Next, are these prices still current?

Is the Matris F15Y125K fork cartridge still $575.00 installed by you?

Is the Traxxion Dynamics AR-25-Axxion rod damper still available?  I was on their sight today and it wasn't listed.  Nothing for the MT07 was shown.

$ dictates I do 1 upgrade at a time, I know not ideal.  Which would you do first?

Thank you for your time.  Hope we can work together again.

Edit: Sorry, I ment to put this in pattonme's vendor section.

Edited by scotto
Wrong thread
  • Like 1

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone ever contemplate a Street Triple R front end swap?

(FZ07 Fork length is about 31"?) Correct me if i am wrong...

Think these specs are close on street triple 2008+

Top Triple diameter: 50
Bottom Triple: 56

Length of Fork:
Top of Fork to Top of Axle (unweighted): 711mm approx (28")
"" to Mid Axle: 724mm approx (28.5")
"" to Bottom: 736mm approx (29")
Radius of Axle inside fork: 25mm approx (1")

Edited by Kyuzo
metric to american meas.

• 5 months later...

I remember someone talking about it in another thread on the Street Triple, Dunno if they ever did it though.  I might be able to source S1000RR parts from a good friends bike that was killed while riding. Couple of us would like to have some frankenstein pieces in our various bikes as a way to remember him. Haven't looked it up yet, but those forks are likely too beefy, braking power would immediately be placed into the stratosphere.

Edited by Redempire

• 3 weeks later...
Carpetbombing

I have a separate thread on this, but just to add another option - Mupo has emulators (they call it their 'Hydraulic Kit') and full cartridge conversions (they call them 'Caliber 22') for the FZ/MT-07. The Hydraulic Kit is under $200, and has separate compression and rebound shim stacks. I installed them a few weeks ago and for my street purposes they're absolutely brilliant. Who knows, maybe I'm rusty and easily impressed. I don't know anything about the 'Caliber 22' system except that they exist. More options to muddy the waters.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you for all the input in this thread. I have a lot of reading to do as I'm due for an unscheduled upgrade after lowsiding my bike this past weekend. 😅😓😖