The MT-07 Forum

How to: FZ-07 Dobeck Performance EJK Installation

fzhooligan

• Premium Member
phicurious86
So maybe this is a dumb question, but the EJK tune for almost all exhaust kits lists the 02 sensor as disconnected. Am I supposed to leave it wired in and zip tie it somewhere on the bike, or disconnect it from the wire connector, or what? And is this gonna throw a constant check engine light or anything?
The plug is already tied to the bike under that right side frame cover, so you can just put some electrical tape over the plugs ends if you want, after you disconnect the plug. It shouldn't trip an engine light, however some members experienced a warning pop up when they were pushing the bike near red line for an extended period of time. Believe they fixed the warning issue by just plugging the o2 sensor back in for a mile or 2 and then unplugging the sensor again.

So maybe this is a dumb question, but the EJK tune for almost all exhaust kits lists the 02 sensor as disconnected. Am I supposed to leave it wired in and zip tie it somewhere on the bike, or disconnect it from the wire connector, or what? And is this gonna throw a constant check engine light or anything?
The plug is already tied to the bike under that right side frame cover, so you can just put some electrical tape over the plugs ends if you want, after you disconnect the plug. It shouldn't trip an engine light, however some members experienced a warning pop up when they were pushing the bike near red line for an extended period of time. Believe they fixed the warning issue by just plugging the o2 sensor back in for a mile or 2 and then unplugging the sensor again.

Awesome,thanks! I will be installing the EJK tomorrow after work.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite
Puig Touring windscreen, custom fit frame sliders, graves fender eliminator, evotech radiator guard, mad hornets adjustable levers, and coming soon, two brothers S1R and EJK
RIP 01 DRZ-400 (crank failure)

Is it just me or did Dobeck send me the wrong F'ing controller?http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/Mtbsinger85/20150626_180540.jpg[/image]

2015 FZ-07, Graphite
Puig Touring windscreen, custom fit frame sliders, graves fender eliminator, evotech radiator guard, mad hornets adjustable levers, and coming soon, two brothers S1R and EJK

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Is it just me or did Dobeck send me the wrong F'ing controller?style=max-width:100%http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/Mtbsinger85/20150626_180540.jpg[/image]
Maybe not. There should be two connections for each EJK line. One female that connects to the fuel injector and one male that connects to the female factory line that runs to the ECU. What you've got in your hands look like the factory female and the EJK female.

That being said. I don't remember that color for the EJK female and it looks like it's the wrong shape. Good chance you got the wrong unit. Call Dobeck with the part number?

Is it just me or did Dobeck send me the wrong F'ing controller?style=max-width:100%http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/Mtbsinger85/20150626_180540.jpg[/image]
Maybe not. There should be two connections for each EJK line. One female that connects to the fuel injector and one male that connects to the female factory line that runs to the ECU. What you've got in your hands look like the factory female and the EJK female.  
That being said. I don't remember that color for the EJK female and it looks like it's the wrong shape. Good chance you got the wrong unit. Call Dobeck with the part number?

I sent an email to Dobeck, but I dont think it will be seen until Monday. The picture is of the EJK plug (gray) that is supposed to plug into the injector, next to the stock harness plug that goes to the injector. http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/Mtbsinger85/20150626_180442.jpg
This is the EJK plug that is supposed to plug into the harness. Obviously not a match either.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Dug through some pictures of my installation and the EJK stuff looks correct. I specifically remember those grooves in female harness and the side prongs on the male connector.

If the grey with orange in-side is your EJK, then I'm worried about that factory female. The factory female should look just like the EJK. Can you send a picture of where you're getting at your fuel injectors?

Dug through some pictures of my installation and the EJK stuff looks correct. I specifically remember those grooves in female harness and the side prongs on the male connector.  
If the grey with orange in-side is your EJK, then I'm worried about that factory female. The factory female should look just like the EJK. Can you send a picture of where you're getting at your fuel injectors?

I cant get a picture of the injector without pulling the injector, and I don't want to have to deal with that. The gray plug is from the EJK, that should be exactly the same as the black plug.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite

• Premium Member
phicurious86

I cant get a picture of the injector without pulling the injector, and I don't want to have to deal with that. The gray plug is from the EJK, that should be exactly the same as the black plug.
This is my factory female at the blue injector.

6f89ba05590c163cdb2273794b0dda7b.jpg

This is my factory female at the blue injector. 
6f89ba05590c163cdb2273794b0dda7b.jpg

Is this not connected right at the injector? I was trying to plug it in right on top of the intake manifold, right at the injector. Does it plug in between the cpu and the cable that goes to the injector?

2015 FZ-07, Graphite

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Is this not connected right at the injector? I was trying to plug it in right on top of the intake manifold, right at the injector. Does it plug in between the cpu and the cable that goes to the injector?
The grey bit, the part identical to the EJK female connector, unplugs from the injector (it's kind of pain to unplug, used some needle nosed pliers on mine). That's what you want to unplug and then plug the EJK female connector onto the the same spot on the injector. Then you connect the male connector on the EJK to the factory female connector.

The grey bit, the part identical to the EJK female connector, unplugs from the injector (it's kind of pain to unplug, used some needle nosed pliers on mine). That's what you want to unplug and then plug the EJK female connector onto the the same spot on the injector. Then you connect the male connector on the EJK to the factory female connector.

Ok, I was definitely looking at the wrong thing and I feel like an idiot. Thanks for your help, I should have it done this weekend.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Ok, I was definitely looking at the wrong thing and I feel like an idiot. Thanks for your help, I should have it done this weekend.
Hey no worries. The instructions that come with the kit are super minimalistic. Glad I could help you get it sorted. It should be worth all the hassle once you get it rigged up.

Hey no worries. The instructions that come with the kit are super minimalistic. Glad I could help you get it sorted. It should be worth all the hassle once you get it rigged up.

I was trying to plug into the coil pack, I totally mind blanked while I was trying to install this until I looked at one of the pictures I took and realized what a rookie mistake that was.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite

Sooo, anyone else have trouble getting the 02 sensor clip apart? I just spent a half an hour trying to get that damn clip apart, and it just won't go. Im sure yamaha dealers have a little forked tool to push in the little side clips while they hit the front one with a screwdriver. I on the other hand, apparently need some trick to get this undone that I have not figured out yet. Any suggestions?

2015 FZ-07, Graphite

Sooo, anyone else have trouble getting the 02 sensor clip apart? I just spent a half an hour trying to get that damn clip apart, and it just won't go. Im sure yamaha dealers have a little forked tool to push in the little side clips while they hit the front one with a screwdriver. I on the other hand, apparently need some trick to get this undone that I have not figured out yet. Any suggestions?
Very small straight screw driver. I just installed my EJK yesterday and gently pried the O2 sensor apart starting on one side and working my way around it. 

• Premium Member
phicurious86
The side clips were irrelevant as far as I could tell. The only clip to worry about is the the one facing out from the bike. I just used a small flathead screwdriver to depress the clip while pulling down on the bottom half of the plug.  

Very small straight screw driver. I just installed my EJK yesterday and gently pried the O2 sensor apart starting on one side and working my way around it. 

I finally got it by wedging a small flathead screwdriver under two of the prongs, and a third, I pushed in and pried from above the prong, and it worked.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite

• 1 month later...

Question regarding the 2 breather hoses attached to the bottom of the tank: if you didn't siphon fuel out of the tank, would fuel leak from the tank after disconnecting those 2 hoses? I'm not sure exactly where those 2 nipples lead.

• Premium Member

No it doesn't leak. I did it with a full tank and flip flopped it around and nothing came out. Not sure how exactly how it doesn't leak but you will be fine.

• Like 1

MRMAGS,,,
I removed my tank completely to install the EJK and my tank was approx half full and it leaked quit a bit ( from vent tubes ) as I lifted and removed the tank. If I take the tank off again I am def going to block off each tube with plug caps.......

• Like 1

MRMAGS,,, I removed my tank completely to install the EJK and my tank was approx half full and it leaked quit a bit ( from vent tubes ) as I lifted and removed the tank. If I take the tank off again I am def going to block off each tube with plug caps.......

Good to know... I'll try to do this job on an empty tank, and I'll plug those tubes. Thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member
Hm. I just installed my EJK. Not difficult to do with the how-to write up. Thanks fzhooligan! I am tripping a check engine light though from mid throttle and up. It's very frequent, not just at redline. The bike feels smooth and doesn't feel like anything is wrong thankfully.
I set the EJK to the recommended starting settings for a Yosh/K&N/snorkel IN/02 disconnected. I'm going to plug it in for a little while and then unplug it to see if that helps. You guys think it might be because the settings are for the snorkel OUT not the snorkel IN like I have?
EDIT: Well, that didn't work. I plugged it back in and STILL got the light even with it plugged in. The bike feels fine, it feels awesome actually... Any ideas?

EDIT 2: Spoke with Dillon from Dobeck today. He sent me another unit. I'll report back to you guys when I swap it out.

EDIT 3: Swapped out the unit, works mint! Need to tune a little now. Awesome customer service.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• 4 weeks later...

Just placed my order over the phone with Dillon for this bad boy and cant wait to have it rolling with my two brothers exhaust. I have definitely noticed a change in throttle response and power since putting in the after market exhaust (even lost some MPG) and cant wait to get it running rocking with some fuel management. Dillon was responsive and super helpful. Always feels good to help an american made company. and no sales tax in wyoming! hehe

bigdaddybane

I received my EJK and installed it last night. The whole install took about an hour and a half and I did it without removing the gas tank. Anyway Brent from Dobeck was super helpful and able to answer my dumb questions regarding unit programming ... these guys are truly amazing! Customer service like no other! The bike is running much much smoother and popping on my Yoshi is almost totally gone ... got to play more with Green settings but overall I'm really pleased with results.