The MT-07 Forum

How to: FZ-07 Dobeck Performance EJK Installation

fzhooligan

I haven't put mine in yet and your illustrations will come in handy, thank you so much for your time and effort! One thing puzzles me, though. I used to work at Applied Materials building gas panels in the semi conductor industry and did nothing but tons of wiring harness and gas line routing. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be easier to install if you put the controller in the compartment under the seat (or where ever you want it permanently) first and then route the wires up through the frame and avoid having to take things off to get the controller to where it will eventually rest? Then just hook up the wires at the injectors. That way you won't have to fight to squeeze that controller between things, just the wires. Am I understanding what you did right. You pulled the controller through everything? So, how did your bike run on the test ride, other than purring at idle? 

Beemer

• Premium Member
I haven't put mine in yet and your illustrations will come in handy, thank you so much for your time and effort! One thing puzzles me, though. I used to work at Applied Materials building gas panels in the semi conductor industry and did nothing but tons of wiring harness and gas line routing. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be easier to install if you put the controller in the compartment under the seat (or where ever you want it permanently) first and then route the wires up through the frame and avoid having to take things off to get the controller to where it will eventually rest? Then just hook up the wires at the injectors. That way you won't have to fight to squeeze that controller between things, just the wires. Am I understanding what you did right. You pulled the controller through everything? So, how did your bike run on the test ride, other than purring at idle? 
I thought about doing it that way too, but in the end connected to the injectors first. The controller is so slim I had no trouble then routing it through to the compartment under the passenger seat.  

• Premium Member
I have the akra carbon and I'm getting so many mixed answers from dealers and forums. I do feel less torque throughout the entire powerband after install, but it's almost not noticable after I got used to it. One dealer told me that power commanders don't work well on yamahas. My engine temp cools down less quickly after rides, but I'm still averaging the about the same mpg. Is buying the ejk really going to assist me, or is it entirely ness. Because I've heard others online say I don't need it, and this point I'm really confused about who to believe. Also how do I get the forum discount for the ejk 

Jbird,

The EJK controller will make a big difference. I have the AKRA full carbon with DNA filter. When i first installed the system, i had a lot of bike fire that you can't do anything about since there isn't an air system on the bike. After installing the EJK controller, the bike fire went almost completely away. Every once in awhile I might get a bike fire but that's high in the RPM range when I'm on it and suddenly left off. Also the throttle is a lot smoother. No more hard engine braking when you let off the throttle. Overall i feel it has made a vast improvement. I'm hoping soon to take it to the dyno just to see how much it has improved. Although I'm only expecting 1-3 HP gain i still want to know. Install is super easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Great write-up FZhooligan. EFI is sort of new to me (except riding with it) since I have ascended from carburated bikes going back 40 years. Is the EJK controller a good idea to have (even with stock exhaust) because the bike will run a bit richer and give better performance, i.e. mileage etc. as well? Second question. Once in and you have the green light do you have to tune it? I see the little buttons on the device so do you have to tune it to how you want it, or does it come preprogrammed -- meaning green light and you're good to go? Thanks again for taking the time and putting in the effort of sharing your work with us.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
That's exactly how I routed mine, set the controller where I wanted it in the trunk and routed the wires to the injectors. This how to made it simple for me.  Thanks @fzhooligan! 
  • Like 1

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

That's exactly how I routed mine, set the controller where I wanted it in the trunk and routed the wires to the injectors. This how to made it simple for me.  Thanks @fzhooligan!
You're welcome! I knew it had to be easier than trying to squeeze that controller through things and having to remove the fuse box to get it through to the rear compartment.

Beemer

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Lol I did that long before your comment, however it will come in handy for someone else in the near future.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Great write-up FZhooligan. EFI is sort of new to me (except riding with it) since I have ascended from carburated bikes going back 40 years. Is the EJK controller a good idea to have (even with stock exhaust) because the bike will run a bit richer and give better performance, i.e. mileage etc. as well? Second question. Once in and you have the green light do you have to tune it? I see the little buttons on the device so do you have to tune it to how you want it, or does it come preprogrammed -- meaning green light and you're good to go? Thanks again for taking the time and putting in the effort of sharing your work with us.
1. Yes - The EJK has benefits even for a stock bike, as you mentioned.   
2. Yes - Once installed I recommend you consult the Dobeck EJK website for a list of common mods and some tested base settings for each: http://www.electronicjetkit.com/Sportbike/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=8120147  There is a listing for a stock bike with and without the snorkel, plus many exhaust options.  

In my experience thus far, I found the base suggested setting for my setup to be good, but I am still tweaking it.  Variances such as elevation above sea level and personal preferences can make a fair difference in what your particular bike and setup need.  I've only gone by the ole butt dyno, but I do intend to rent the SAFR tool to check the readings and tweak further, as necessary.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 2 weeks later...
Pleas someone post a picture of where the ejk connectors plug in an circle it or something, help us all out
Did you not read the first post in this thread, i.e. the 'how to' with photos?  There's some pretty clear photos there.  
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Pleas someone post a picture of where the ejk connectors plug in an circle it or something, help us all out
You might find this clip helpful (it's easier to see in full screen). I show the right injector in it, but the left is hidden underneath the fuel line and left frame bar.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaL7_-RlN_o]

Nice!

You know, I didn't think of it until watching Phi's clip, but I did remove my snorkel. That might be in the way if anyone still has theirs installed. Other than the snorkel, which I had removed right before moving the gas tank, I did not remove anything else; nothing else seemed to be in the way for me. Not sure if that helps, but just a thought...

I just did this, with the snorkel in, and without moving the fuel tank to a different location. Good write up, btw. What I did was just use the front bolt of the gas tank as a pivot and support the rear of the gas tank on a 2x4 for some clearance. That was enough for me to remove the injector connectors with a needle nose pliers from the side, and I was able to snake in the new harness and get everything connected. I'm sure you have more clearance with the gas tank out of the way, just wanted to say that it is possible without actually moving the gas tank.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I just did this, with the snorkel in, and without moving the fuel tank to a different location. Good write up, btw. What I did was just use the front bolt of the gas tank as a pivot and support the rear of the gas tank on a 2x4 for some clearance. That was enough for me to remove the injector connectors with a needle nose pliers from the side, and I was able to snake in the new harness and get everything connected. I'm sure you have more clearance with the gas tank out of the way, just wanted to say that it is possible without actually moving the gas tank.
Thanks, these are the types of hints I appreciate in how to threads. We often install things and take on projects simply by educating ourselves online or just reading install instructions. Doing something always takes longer the first time because it takes that first time to figure out the little tricks that make your day longer. I think we've all removed and replaced something that should have taken only a few minutes but ended up taking half the day. All to find out...."oh I wish I would have known that".
Something that seems obvious to one of us may not seem like it to others.

• Like 1

Yup! That's pretty much how I did mine. I had a folding table off to one side and a seat cushion on top of it and rested the tank on the cushion. I was able to reach (barely) the connectors with my fingers from the side and did the job like that, wasn't too hard to do.
  • Like 1

Beemer

Thanks, these are the types of hints I appreciate in how to threads. We often install things and take on projects simply by educating ourselves online or just reading install instructions. Doing something always takes longer the first time because it takes that first time to figure out the little tricks that make your day longer. I think we've all removed and replaced something that should have taken only a few minutes but ended up taking half the day. All to find out...."oh I wish I would have known that".

So true!  I've been there at least a hundred times over the years! Ask me about the first time I re-jetted a carbureted bike ha.  I probably opened it up, changed jets and shims, put it all back together, test rode... over and over again.  Must have repeated the process 10+ times before I had it dialed in.  That was an adventure, but I got better at it each iteration.  Electronics make some things a lot easier.  
  • Like 1

Absolutely!  I wouldn't have half of the stuff done to my bike if people hadn't already made how-to's on them, and I only imagine it will get better.  I can see this bike being a good seller for Yamaha for the foreseeable future.

• Premium Member
Who thinks I should trade the bike to an r3 to avoid accumulation of speeding tickets ?

If you have a speeding problem and you do that, then youll just be a frustrated guy tryin to speed on an R3

Who thinks I should trade the bike to an r3 to avoid accumulation of speeding tickets ?
That's like an alcoholic asking "Who here things I should just drink beer instead of drinking liquor to avoid getting a DUI?" 
  • Like 2

So maybe this is a dumb question, but the EJK tune for almost all exhaust kits lists the 02 sensor as disconnected. Am I supposed to leave it wired in and zip tie it somewhere on the bike, or disconnect it from the wire connector, or what? And is this gonna throw a constant check engine light or anything?

2015 FZ-07, Graphite
Puig Touring windscreen, custom fit frame sliders, graves fender eliminator, evotech radiator guard, mad hornets adjustable levers, and coming soon, two brothers S1R and EJK
RIP 01 DRZ-400 (crank failure)