The MT-07 Forum

Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

until someone risks some capital and time to get one of these, the state of the art will not move forward. **2004-06 CBR1000RR (314, 58) - 12kg/mm

Ebay has several under $30.

Is this the one?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Honda-2004-2005-2006-2007-CBR1000RR-CBR-1000-RR-Rear-Shock-04-05-06-07-/262293661964?nav=SEARCH

How is that reservoir going to fit?

I am willing to be a test subject but would like to know the info on the stock shock dimensions eye-to-eye, spring rate, etc. any relevant info

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

@ryan4130, just look the very first post that started the thred. ;)
http://fz07.org/post/25292

I don't know if the reservoir will fit. You'll have to eyeball your bike, maybe take a picture of your fist shoved in there roughly where the reservoir would go. Does it have a prayer? Does it require moving the battery entirely? Would it work if the shock is flipped with the reservoir down? Maybe not, in which case we can forget about that particular option and I'll scratch it off the list of candidates.

Yes that's one of the ebay candidates. there were like 7 of them $20+ when I looked last night.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Are these the stock shock measurements?
"Length 312mm, Stroke 61mm, Rate 115N/mm=11.7kg/mm=650lb/in"
What about the dimensions for the mounting width profiles on both ends?

Based off the info @RobMoore has on page 5 of this thread, he tried to use a 2007 GSXR 1000 shock which has a reservoir in a very similar location to that of the 2004-2007 CBR1000rr shock and it did not fit. I am a beginner to bike suspension and don't know if reversing the shock would work because the mounting profiles are of a male/female type. If the mounting hardware unscrewed and could be swapped end-to-end than it would get interesting

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

I measured stock shock at 310mm long.
Stock spring measured 620# on my tester.
Travel is 43mm before hitting bottom out bumper.
Upper mount is 30mm.
Bottom mount is 25mm.
Mounting some other shock from other bikes may have issue with lower mount, you need pretty long clevis to clear out link if adding any ride height.
For our bike I ordered Penske to my specs. You can go here and see what I did for suspension and some other stuff to make it race ready.
http://twfracing.com/vbforums/forum/not-so-technical-of-discussions/general-discussions/2452-yamaha-fz07

• Like 2

@twf great job on the race conversion. Thank you for the stock shock data. I really hope to find a compatible swap for rear shock. I am not fortunate enough to afford the Penske or the like

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a CBR1000RR shock. It definitely won't fit as is because the reservoir/airbox interference. Next weekend I'm gonna take the airbox apart and see what can be done. I have an idea for a fairly simple workaround.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
I ordered a CBR1000RR shock. It definitely won't fit as is because the reservoir/airbox interference. Next weekend I'm gonna take the airbox apart and see what can be done. I have an idea for a fairly simple workaround.
Pictures please...
i'm still looking for a shock and dont mind making room

@pattonme
why would it not work with the res side down?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Well good news and bad news. The good news is that the reservoir-airbox interference problem can be solved. I was planning on removing the airbox and replacing it with dual filters; something like this leve enough room and I'd imagine flow more air: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RU-2320.

Bad news is that the clevis that mounts to the swingarm is not as long as the stock clevis on the stock shock.(see this add for illustration http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR1000RR-CBR1000-RR6-RR7-FIREBLADE-REAR-SUSPENSION-SHOCK-GOOD-2006-2007-/380917284605) You can't put the crossbolt through because the rear linkage interferes with the clevis. You could potentially machine away some of the clevis but there's not a lot of room before hitting the adjustment screw, or you could notch the linkage piece. I'm not willing to make either of these mods so if anyone would like to have the shock that I bought, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

Added K-Tech shock (Razor-R). Made inquiries with respect to DSS 'Lite' and 'Pro' offerings.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the 2011-2015 ZX10r probably works too but you'd have to machine the wishbone to accommodate the eyelet. Nice thing is that you can go back to using a clevis end just by putting a spacer back into the slot.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 1 month later...
the 2011-2015 ZX10r probably works too but you'd have to machine the wishbone to accommodate the eyelet. Nice thing is that you can go back to using a clevis end just by putting a spacer back into the slot.
 I have a (probably dumb) question. Assuming I could machine the wishbone to accommodate the eyelet, while also assuming that both shock eyelets (top and bottom) were the same size, could I install the shock upside down (reservoir up and towards the rear) inorder to get around the airbox space issue?  

the only way to know is to try it, but that seems reasonable.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

thomascrown

Just an FYI, from my shopping around for a shock:

Wilburs can be specified to be 25mm taller, with a height adjustment range of +-12mm, for those who want to save money they'd otherwise spend on a linkage to increase rear ride height.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Is anyone running a piggy back reservoir shock with pod filters yet? Would love to see pictures if they are. Thanks.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

mikeromedia1

What about dirt bike shocks? I just happen to glance at my dad's dirt bike and noticed it has a remote reservoir.

bmwpowere36m3
What about dirt bike shocks? I just happen to glance at my dad's dirt bike and noticed it has a remote reservoir.
Likely too long and the valving will be wrong. 

• 1 month later...

So I noticed that the ohlins shock has a fixed spring rate of 115N/mm, whereas the nitron is setup for your weight. Is that likely to be an issue? (FYI - I weigh 70kg in my birthday suit)

The Ohlins can have any spring you want put on it. That is just the default spring. 70kg=155lb which means you're right smack in the middle of the "default spring" range.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Cheers pattonme. Most of the resellers here in UK seem to just sell it with the default spring. At least if I just hit the order button online!

Do you know what the ideal spring would be for me? What is the best way to calculate it? Like, what tells you that 70kg is in the middle of a 115Nmm spring range?

"Rule of thumb" is many Japanese bikes come configured for a 150lb rider +/- 20lb. You're within that range, QED use standard spring. If you have linkage ratio, wheel rate and bike weight you put into a formula and out pops a spring rate recommendation. Zoran likely has a copy of the software. @gregjet does, but I don't.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Any one think of another bike that might be a swap candidate? Looking at a long Minnesota winter coming up to tinker with the bike maybe get some results for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered the front cartridge kit from Matris through Matt .... i'm really excited to see what the the bike feels like after the changes.
In my eyes, it made more sense to order the cartridges to Matt since he can make the shim stack upgrades and order the right springs for me.
Waiting for shipping sux!! I wonder how long it takes from Virginia to Florida.

• Like 1