The MT-07 Forum

Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

There are a lot of used 05-06 UsedCBR600 shocks on ebay right now.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, prospeed44 said:

There is a used 05-06 honda cbr6oorr Ohlins shock on Ebay right now if anyone is interested . Nope - not me selling it lol .

$500 seems steep to me. I'm curious to know is it a Ohlins spring with Showa internals? How do the non Ohlins stock shock perform?

It is an actual Ohlins . Not showa . Price seems fair to me but you'd think they'd give it a good clean before posting . Is it worth $475 more than a stock CBR shock for an FZ-07 conversion tho ?. I don't know .

On 10/17/2018 at 8:43 AM, Bigturbomax said:

That looks like an awesome solution. Ive been on the fence about doing something like this for a while. Not sure how ill adjust my EJK to get fueling right tho. How do you like the CBR shock compared to stock?

The shock is a huge improvement I hope to never go back to stock. way smoother. When you remove the airbox you need to put a breather filter on the valve cover which I bought for 6 bucks on amazon & I used the 1 3/4 angeled uni two stage filters but if I went back these would mount easier to the intake hoses. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F331103988670 and  ESupport™ 12mm Mini Sliver Cone Cold Air Intake Filter Turbo Vent Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U8L6MJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PRh4BbR9ADT0A

essy mod I would do it even without upgrading the shock. You could put the two intake hoses straight no problem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, derekfz said:

The shock is a huge improvement I hope to never go back to stock. way smoother. When you remove the airbox you need to put a breather filter on the valve cover which I bought for 6 bucks on amazon & I used the 1 3/4 angeled uni two stage filters but if I went back these would mount easier to the intake hoses. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F331103988670 and  ESupport2122.png 12mm Mini Sliver Cone Cold Air Intake Filter Turbo Vent Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U8L6MJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PRh4BbR9ADT0A

essy mod I would do it even without upgrading the shock. You could put the two intake hoses straight no problem. 

Awesome! Has the filter change affected performance? Positively or negatively?

58 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

Awesome! Has the filter change affected performance? Positively or negatively?

Very positively. I was running a dna filter config and it picked up a few horses for sure. I would compare it to the hordpower airbox probably. If you look closely at the pictures of his airbox it’s the intake runners from the airbox! I tuned it with a power commander and auto tune 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derekfz said:

Very positively. I was running a dna filter config and it picked up a few horses for sure. I would compare it to the hordpower airbox probably. If you look closely at the pictures of his airbox it’s the intake runners from the airbox! I tuned it with a power commander and auto tune 

Very good to hear. Ive been running a ported K and N with a portmatched MRW lid and adjusting with EJK. It had a butt dyno noticeable midrange bump and felt far less flat up top. But my EJK appears to have pooped so i took it out and put stock filter and lid back in till i hear back from them 😕 . I wanted to do a custom filter setup with the stock runners but didnt know how to tune it. Depending on what dobeck tells me, i may try to get AFR plus from them and THEN make an airbox mod. Thanks for the info!!!

• 1 month later...

2006 CBR 600RR Shock 

Wanted to give stock/factory shock settings via 2006 CBR 600RR Manual if anyone has gone this route and were interested.

This is for the 2006 Shock with gold reservoir, yellow spring, and silver link.

(top of shock)Compression Damping = 12 clicks counter clockwise from full hard

(bottom of shock spring)Spring Preload = #4 Position (counter clock wise from full soft) out of 10 slots.

(on silver link) Rebound Damping = 2-1/2 counter clockwise from full hard

Edited by Kyuzo

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, haggar said:

Has anyone tried to swap the newer shock from the MT-07  B4C-22210-10-00 and how has it worked.

it would fit, but it's still a very crap shock, don't bother...

• 4 months later...
Bigturbomax
On 2/6/2019 at 10:41 AM, haggar said:

Has anyone tried to swap the newer shock from the MT-07  B4C-22210-10-00 and how has it worked.

I literally just did this. Ive only got about 60 miles on it so far.  But it is definately an option for those on a budget. Its a big improvement from the 15-17 shock. Its not a Kteck of course, but for the money id buy it again. That having been said im a street rider. I wont say is an amazing shock but it doesnt bouce for days and i havent been launched off the seat yet lol. Ill let yall know more after i get some more miles on it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are there still any possible rear shock swap candidates that haven't been tested yet? If it's cheap enough, I may be willing to try.

Well, I decided to take one for the team and purchased a used 08-16 R6 rear shock. I have no clue if this thing will even fit, but I figured I would get measurements and let everyone, including @pattonme , know the numbers.

• Like 1

So, far it's not looking so good for a 2008 R6 shock. It seems like it may "just" fit, but considering how the airbox seems to slant downwards on the left side it may not work because the little canister sticks out towards the left. I then looked and it seemed like maybe flipping it upside down so the canister is facing the ground may have worked, but the tiny lips around the engine that hold the bolt for the shock may block it.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure until I actually remove and try to place it in there.

Edited by br4nd0n

19 hours ago, br4nd0n said:

OK, I had some time today to grab a bunch of measurements for anyone that was curious.

So, it doesn't fit?

I don't know yet, I haven't had the time to actually take out the shock and see. All I did was eyeball it by holding it as close to the bike as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 8:05 PM, br4nd0n said:

I don't know yet, I haven't had the time to actually take out the shock and see. All I did was eyeball it by holding it as close to the bike as possible.

So, were you able to install the shock?

Sorry, I've been busy with work and other things so I probably won't be able to do anything for a couple of weeks. If it doesn't work out, I'll try to see if I can do anything to make it work without a lot of money or effort.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 6:18 PM, derekfz said:

The shock is a huge improvement I hope to never go back to stock. way smoother. When you remove the airbox you need to put a breather filter on the valve cover which I bought for 6 bucks on amazon & I used the 1 3/4 angeled uni two stage filters but if I went back these would mount easier to the intake hoses. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F331103988670 and  ESupport™ 12mm Mini Sliver Cone Cold Air Intake Filter Turbo Vent Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U8L6MJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PRh4BbR9ADT0A

hi. i like your mod. i bought uni sock filters 1 3/4 but i have not been able to put them onto intake hoses with internal forming "like a spring". i am thinking about uni two stage straight, but i think i should definitely need to go to bigger diameter

IMG_20190818_172003.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've had an R6 shock now for a couple of years but the length is the big problem. Pattonme pointed this out sometime ago and a link about an inch or so longer which matches the R6 shock clevis to the suspension link is required to make things work. A guy with a machinist mind  should be able to fab something up. That shock has a lot of damping adjustments built in and other forum members have shown ways to work around a piggyback reservoir interference issues. One day someone will pop one on and amaze the site.

I also have a R6 shock, but it's a 2008 model and is only 17mm short instead of 20mm like the earlier model years. Anyways, I don't know if I'll get to it anytime soon as I've taken on another project that I was putting off for a while and has turned into a big time sync... 

• Premium Member

All I can say is my life has been greatly improved with the addition of the Ohlins  STX46 shock. I know it’s not the top of the line, but my word what a difference. I contacted Ohlins to check the spring rate to rider weight ratio to my dismay they were completely off, by a long shot. I bought a used shock with 2 different spring rates and before I installed it I thought I should ask the boss ( Ohlins USA) they recommended a 115 Nm for my weight. I had bought a 130Nm and a 140 Nm. I relayed this to the seller @cornerslider and he assured me he sold me the correct springs. I got a call from from trackside labs who serviced the shock and gave me setup numbers. Whaaaoo. What a difference, I was dragging something every corner.Basically he asked me my weight with gear/ability/ and type of riding, ignore (Ohlins USA) and just try it. I’m glad I did.. shoutouts to Brandon @tracksidelabs and @cornerslider. Sag#s are off as I just got them today. Looking forward to track days. Couple a clicks in here and there, it’ll be good! Better.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, fzar said:

All I can say is my life has been greatly improved with the addition of the Ohlins  STX46 shock. I know it’s not the top of the line, but my word what a difference. I contacted Ohlins to check the spring rate to rider weight ratio to my dismay they were completely off, by a long shot. I bought a used shock with 2 different spring rates and before I installed it I thought I should ask the boss ( Ohlins USA) they recommended a 115 Nm for my weight. I had bought a 130Nm and a 140 Nm. I relayed this to the seller @cornerslider and he assured me he sold me the correct springs. I got a call from from trackside labs who serviced the shock and gave me setup numbers. Whaaaoo. What a difference, I was dragging something every corner.Basically he asked me my weight with gear/ability/ and type of riding, ignore (Ohlins USA) and just try it. I’m glad I did.. shoutouts to Brandon @tracksidelabs and @cornerslider. Sag#s are off as I just got them today. Looking forward to track days. Couple a clicks in here and there, it’ll be good! Better.

Glad to hear how well the shock worked out for you. Can’t go wrong with Ohlins suspension.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
On 9/28/2019 at 5:28 AM, Evill_Ed said:

Glad to hear how well the shock worked out for you. Can’t go wrong with Ohlins suspension.

Ed

I might go ahead and do the front right away as it seem like a fools errand to not to both. I didn't want to do both at the same time as I wanted to see how much one change, either end would improve or adversely affect anything.

• Like 1