The MT-07 Forum

Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

The Ohlins valving is soft but that has side-effects - ie has to work harder and thus can cause bigger pressure spikes. Of the ~$600 shocks I think the Nitron does the best job. If after riding it a bit and you really need to adjusted, any of them can be tweaked.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

heartofperformance
On 1/8/2018 at 10:02 PM, pattonme said:

if you have the money and the inclination, the NTR2 gives you the option to tweak things. If you're not really into fiddling, then the NTR1 will more than suffice.

That being said, does the NTR2 has the potential to be plusher/more comfortable than the NTR1(with those more option to tweak things).
I would not be tracking or mountain carving, just to make my daily commute more enjoyable/bearable cheers :D

The R2 allows you to take (more of) the edge off the square bumps since you can adjust high speed comp. 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bigturbomax

Looks like the CBR shock is a good option with air box mods. How are these bikes running with pod filters? You guys using fuel management of some kind? 

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Looks like the CBR shock is a good option with air box mods. How are these bikes running with pod filters? You guys using fuel management of some kind? 

A piggyback shock is a required mod if you are running pod filters!  :)

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2016 at 6:58 AM, pattonme said:

The Ohlins can have any spring you want put on it. That is just the default spring. 70kg=155lb which means you're right smack in the middle of the "default spring" range.

Can I get a confirmation on this?  Just bought a 2015 fz07 with ohlins STX46 shocks and stock front forks.

I am 170 lbs.  

For reference, stock springs are

115N/mm

so this shock is ideal for 135 to 175 lb rider with stock spring??

Thanks in advance.

22 hours ago, sk8norcal said:

For reference, stock springs are

115N/mm

so this shock is ideal for 135 to 175 lb rider with stock spring??

Someone sub-150 might want to go down a step but otherwise yes it'll be fine for you.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On 7/7/2018 at 6:02 PM, pattonme said:

Someone sub-150 might want to go down a step but otherwise yes it'll be fine for you.

Thanks for the response.  I (170 lbs) do find the ride too firm on bumpy roads.  Previous owner (165 lb) had it set up for him by a local suspension guy.

Just checked the sag number today

Rear sag (R1-R3) = 24mm

ohlin manual suggests 30mm

Front sag (F1-F3) = 35mm

ohlin manual suggests 35mm

My friend attempted to adjust rear shock lockring with a spanner wrench, to correct the sag number, but it wasn't the "right" wrench, kept slipping and the space is tight.   So we stopped there.  Any tips?

If I can't do it, will have bring it to a local suspension guy to have him do it.

I do see an ohlin wrench here,

https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o1&cc=us&creative=271546473279&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjw7IbaBRBqEiwA6AyZgiVNKtDoDM3YbNvm3x52JL8TSTciaxzEpo6fpzN4_E0jraNA1_u3cRoCb6UQAvD_BwE&key=Ohlins-Shock-Spanner-Wrench&matchtype=&mrkgadid=3291760320&mrkgcl=500&network=g&product_id=OHL0016-X001-Y001&pssource=true&rkg_id=0&segment=badger-street

Edited by sk8norcal

always buy the Ohlins wrench. They work on pretty much anything and cheap. buy 2.

Sag values need to be specified in pairs - just the bike (static) and with you in the saddle (rider) otherwise it's not very useful.

Stiffness over bumps is typically a function of damping and less so spring (assuming the spring isn't crazy off). If the shock hasn't been rebuilt then get it done and while the tech is in there he can look and change valving.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

16 hours ago, pattonme said:

always buy the Ohlins wrench. They work on pretty much anything and cheap. buy 2.

Sag values need to be specified in pairs - just the bike (static) and with you in the saddle (rider) otherwise it's not very useful.

Stiffness over bumps is typically a function of damping and less so spring (assuming the spring isn't crazy off). If the shock hasn't been rebuilt then get it done and while the tech is in there he can look and change valving.

Thanks, got 2 wrench off amazon.

(rider 170 lbs)

R1-R2=5mm
R1-R3=24mm

(ohlins manual)

R1-R2 6mm
R1-R3 30mm

previous owner put on the Ohlin shock 4k miles ago. (I still have the stock shock)

Does the shock need a rebuilt already?  and how much does that cost?

Too bad this shock doesn't have compression dampening adjustment. 

I think that would help.

And I also understand the two ends are not balanced.  (I can tell the front is too soft and not as dampened as the rear)

Also, another question if I may,

I am coming from a Honda NC700X (470 lbs, stock suspension)

Am I expecting too much for a 400 lb bike to ride as good as a heavier bike?

I always thought that physics wise, a heaver vehicle will always have better ride quality than a lighter vehicle due to inertia.  (given equal quality suspension.)

Edited by sk8norcal

Honda/Showa are generally better at doing suspension than KYB.

4K miles no rebuild necessary. 

Hmm, 5->24 and then 6->30 on rear sag says to me your spring is too light. The delta should be more like 15.

That 170 is in shorts or in riding gear?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

10 hours ago, pattonme said:

Hmm, 5->24 and then 6->30 on rear sag says to me your spring is too light. The delta should be more like 15.

That 170 is in shorts or in riding gear?

I only  had shoes and pants on at 170 lbs, so probably 175 in full gear.

I think you misunderstood my data.  I did not make any adjustment yet.  The second set of data is from the Ohlins' manual, posted FYI.

(rider 170 lbs with shoes and pants)

R1-R2=5mm
R1-R3=24mm

(from ohlins manual) *recommended 

R1-R2 6mm
R1-R3 30mm

I am positive my spring is 115 N/mm  or 657 lb/in

So, the 2018 MT07 shock is available for purchase in the neighborhood of $310.  Spring rate has been increased by 11%, compression and rebound damping have also been increased, and rebound adjustment has been added.  Sounds like all I'm looking for, so I'm going to try it.  FWIW, I weigh 185.  Anyone else given this any thought? 

you could have a K-Tech Razor-Lite for $470 delivered to your door (CONUS). Unless the 2018 shock was 50 I wouldn't touch it. Pretty much everything that comes from KYB is total crap. Your money so do as you like.

Edited by pattonme
  • Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On 7/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, sk8norcal said:

(rider 170 lbs with shoes and pants)

R1-R2=5mm
R1-R3=24mm

(from ohlins manual) *recommended 

R1-R2 6mm
R1-R3 30mm

I dialed back the preload about 2mm and now my bike sag and rider sag match the recommend numbers.  Much better!!!  Dampener is at +5 clicks.  Looking to upgrade the fork soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

Just did a trackday at Calabogie in Canada.  Suspension was better than the rider!  Had a lot of fun, but its been ten years and took the last session of the first day and the second session of the second to feel comfortable.

Thanks!

Matt Roth

Haymarket, VA

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just Incase anyone is interested I was experimenting with intake options that fit with the cbr600 shock and came up with this: 59FD6399-FF03-4702-BE68-0B891AFE4DA4.thumb.jpeg.0287779d1d6cb8ce261758292aa32167.jpeg

its two #1 intake runners out of the stock airbox. The #1 cylinder turns just enough to clear the res. of the shock. I bought a wrecked bike airbox + my exsisting airbox. and took it out and mounted the uni filters to them. Runs absolutely fantastic I have never felt it pull so well before combined with my two bros full exhaust and pcv + auto tune.

• Like 7

• Premium Member
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, derekfz said:

Just Incase anyone is interested I was experimenting with intake options that fit with the cbr600 shock and came up with this: 59FD6399-FF03-4702-BE68-0B891AFE4DA4.thumb.jpeg.0287779d1d6cb8ce261758292aa32167.jpeg

its two #1 intake runners out of the stock airbox. The #1 cylinder turns just enough to clear the res. of the shock. I bought a wrecked bike airbox + my exsisting airbox. and took it out and mounted the uni filters to them. Runs absolutely fantastic I have never felt it pull so well before combined with my two bros full exhaust and pcv + auto tune.

I like it!  Piggyback shocks are so much nicer than having to clamp a remote reservoir somewhere.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 4 weeks later...

Calling @pattonme and others:

Any idea if I can fit a Penske 8900 series off  a 06-07 CBR1000RR?? According to the seller it's currently measured at about ~315mm from mounting point to mounting point, but it is height adjustable. Remote reservoir.

On 9/17/2018 at 4:23 PM, derekfz said:

That looks like an awesome solution. Ive been on the fence about doing something like this for a while. Not sure how ill adjust my EJK to get fueling right tho. How do you like the CBR shock compared to stock?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 2:23 PM, derekfz said:

Hmm, stock box and a cbr unit is under $60 on ebay.  What size of pods should I be looking at? If I can fix the pogo action for ~$100 that would be great.

firstyammerha

derekfz opened up a whole lot of oem shock options for the forum. Good job. eBay is a goldmine for shocks from wrecked or scrapped bikes. I just had a 2000 GSF1200 shock arrive that I'm installing shortly. No reservoirs but there is a damping selection wheel between the clevis. I hope it doesn't interfere with the link like the remote GSXR 750 shock I bought some time ago did. Maybe derekfz's post could be made a sticky so you don't have to read through 250 posts to find it. I removed the stock shock with the GSXR1000 spring and mounted the new GSF1200 shock with no problem. The damping adjustment wheel looks lower in height than the GSXR750 wheel. This taller wheel interfered with the suspension link preventing the shock clevis bolt hole from lining up with the link bolt hole. Taking the bike out for a 20 mile spin on my test course showed that the compliance over short stutter bumps like seen on approaching stop signs is not as good as the FZ shock and GSXR1000 spring. However this GSF shock eliminated the tendency for the rear end to slide on the broad sweeping turn that I encounter in my test course. But it seemed like it bottomed out hard a couple of times during the ride too. The FZ07 bump stop does a real good job of cushioning when you bottom the stock shock.I'm  going to swap the GSXR1000 spring on the FZ07 shock for the GSF1200 spring to see if that is my best combination.

Edited by firstyammerha
update

There is a used 05-06 honda cbr6oorr Ohlins shock on Ebay right now if anyone is interested . Nope - not me selling it lol .