The MT-07 Forum

Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

Added Bitubo option from forum vendor @bellissimoto (PM me rest of your lineup so I can add to this and the fork page)

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tests of the new Tracer 700 say how good the suspension is, the frame looks the same as the MT/FZ
but it as a longer swinging arm,  if the shock is the same dimensions but uprated internally it may
be a cheap update if Tracer 700 owners start updating their standard shocks.

Ha forget the last it is longer with more travel.

• 1 month later...

Fleshed out the Wilbers and Hyperpro and lot of cleanup of the top post.
Forum members get exclusive discounts thru Forks-by-Matt.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 1 month later...

That Tuono shock looks a lot like a sachs shock off a ducati 2005/6, s2 or 800 monster. Put one own a Honda gt 647 Hawk made all the difference in the world in handling! I think I had to use 2 thin washers to make it fit tight. Not often does that kind of improvement come so easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Added Hordpower as vendor. Also K-Tech released a 'Lite' shock for $495. It's the -R minus hose and reservoir with it's compression adjustment

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mean the compression adjustment moves elsewhere on the shock body, or just is not adjustable? I'm guessing the regular is still preferred over the light by racers.

The Lite has no compression adjustment. I think most racers would prefer to have as many knobs to twiddle even if they don't fully understand what they do. :)

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The Lite has no compression adjustment. I think most racers would prefer to have as many knobs to twiddle even if they don't fully understand what they do. :)
Yes, gimme knobs, more knobs=faster, better, more!!! And levers and maybe some dials too. ? 

Actually you could absolutely race the 'Lite' version at the club level. Most of us racers run em as delivered anyway, never messing with setup much once we get it dialed in. I spent a lot of time learning about my components and trying different settings on track and ultimately ended up where I started, right where it was delivered, hmmpf. I do make subtle changes tho depending on weather and temp, morning or afternoon etc. Having said that, I limit myself to a double adjuster model because I know me, any more knobs and I'd be my own worst enemy. 

Good luck

I thought those dials made you go faster! I turned all the dials to fast mode.

• 3 months later...

I was successful in installing the 05-06 cbr600rr rear shock, I had to install 15 degree 2 or 2 1/4 width snowmobile foam filters to clear the shock. It works so much better than the pogo stick it came with, I have yet to change the front, as this has rectified most of my issues. Haven't used forums in a while can someone assist in how to post pics?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
I was successful in installing the 05-06 cbr600rr rear shock, I had to install 15 degree 2 or 2 1/4 width snowmobile foam filters to clear the shock. It works so much better than the pogo stick it came with, I have yet to change the front, as this has rectified most of my issues. Haven't used forums in a while can someone assist in how to post pics?
I'm only helping you because I want to see the pictures :P 

Untitled.png

image processing service

You need to shim the front and rear, as the front eyelet is narrower and the rear is wider(also need a bolt that is 1/2 longer. Fair warning if you don't add enough shims you will crack the case, (hence the visable weld I have yet to paint) it literally has zero give and is really weak laterally. The shock resivoir clears by about 1mm and touches when hitting bumps but the foam filter has lots of give. Shock cost $70 Canadian shipped and filters were around $15 a piece. Cheap solution to rid myself of the pogo. (The add image is only available using the desktop site)

20170630_175722.jpg

free photo hosting websites

20170630_175744.jpg

20170630_175826.jpg

good image hosting site

20170630_175804.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone rebuilt/ re-sprung the oem shock?
1 or 2 I think. Traxxion took a crack at it with one lister. I think one sent theirs to Norwest Suspension or another 3rd party, can't remember. There are so many full-tilt solutions available at $400-600, it doesn't really appeal to folks to spend money on the OE unit.
  • Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
sillyslowfz07

After reading mccawesome's post i bought myself a cbr600rr shock off ebay for 20 bucks and did the swap, bike feels way better now. I wanted to add that the filter you want is the Uni up-4182sa. I previously bought the 2" version and found it was too big to reliably clamp down so i exchanged it for the 1.75" version. Also during the install i had to slightly notch the linkage arm to clear the shock when fully extended, without notching i was unable to insert the bolt through the eyelet. And of course make sure to get a few washers to shim the front and rear as mccawesomw had mentioned, a couple extra steps over the simplicity of an ohlins or penske drop in unit but for less than the cost of an oil change im not complaining.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have one last modification on my MT-07, rear shock. I sort of already mentally committed on a Nitron NTR R1 Sport base model vs: the Ohlins STX 46 mostly on the deal I can get (2-300 bucks cheaper), the differences are most likely semantic, given they are emulsion street shocks.
That said there are some nice shocks coming out of Taiwan now . Gears Racing, who are distributing to the US and sponsoring some riders there. Shocks look good, but have one fixed spring rate, not sure how critical that is unless you are a big guy over 200 pounds. Bur their shocks are basically equivalent to the higher end Ohlins or Nitron with remote reservoir, and independently adjustable rebound, damping, for a couple hundred dollars less.
In the final analysis for me, a bolt on street use shock from Ohlins or Nitron seems adequate,and reputable since I ride alone, don't race and probably don't NEED all that extra adjust-ability.The improvement over the stock unit will most likely be profound.

pic of the lower end Gears racing 600 bucks, they, as an Asian company don't give a lot of info on there adverts, they have a FB page of all things and a link there to a price and spec website. https://gears-racing-gear.myshopify.com/products/yamaha-fz07-mt07-gears-ev2-rear-suspension. both shocks require cutting or removal of the tire hugger chain gaurd.

s_l500.jpg

There EV 2 shock 900 bucks. https://gears-racing-gear.myshopify.com/products/yamaha-fz07-mt07-gears-h2-rear-suspension

16649231_1244025352351588_4401752476123062956_n.jpg

thanks for the introducing the new player. Please create a review when you get one.

I will say though that the 'NTR1' equivalent shock from Ohlins and K-Tech is $450-500. And the Bitubo XxF11 is under $800 and is a known quantity that performs very, very well. So at those asking prices I think they're going to have a tough time finding buyers in the States at least. Anybody can make pretty components, what matters is the piston and the valving. That they won't customize the spring is very strange. Eibach at retail is $60, so it's not like they couldn't stock a variety of rates.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

thanks for the introducing the new player. Please create a review when you get one. 
I will say though that the 'NTR1' equivalent shock from Ohlins and K-Tech is $450-500. And the Bitubo XxF11 is under $800 and is a known quantity that performs very, very well. So at those asking prices I think they're going to have a tough time finding buyers in the States at least. Anybody can make pretty components, what matters is the piston and the valving. That they won't customize the spring is very strange. Eibach at retail is $60, so it's not like they couldn't stock a variety of rates.

you got that right pretty on the outside, but unknown entity inside, I'm not getting either of the Gears Racing setups. will get the Nitron at 600 bucks delivered from the UK to Philippines, the equalizer for me is the 100 bucks shipping, the Gears had my attention because they offer free shipping to Philippines from Taiwan, but were unable to answer questions, other than offering only one spring, if you look at the site, and I am no expert on suspension, it looks like the 900 dollar model has a lot going for it and it is not a direct comparison for the other entry level shocks mentioned. but no remote preload option either. just thought it was interesting to pass along the info.

• 2 weeks later...
You need to shim the front and rear, as the front eyelet is narrower and the rear is wider(also need a bolt that is 1/2 longer. Fair warning if you don't add enough shims you will crack the case, (hence the visable weld I have yet to paint) it literally has zero give and is really weak laterally. The shock resivoir clears by about 1mm and touches when hitting bumps but the foam filter has lots of give. Shock cost $70 Canadian shipped and filters were around $15 a piece. Cheap solution to rid myself of the pogo. (The add image is only available using the desktop site) 
20170630_175722.jpg

free photo hosting websites

20170630_175744.jpg

20170630_175826.jpg

good image hosting site

20170630_175804.jpg

Are there any other year models of the CBR 600 RR shock that matches this size/spring spec,mounting ends, etc... or is 05-06 the only years? I ask because I have one laying in the shop but am not sure of it's exact year.  
Also, other than the reservoir being in the way, it only takes a little shimming to get it fitted? 

If the only real concern is the reservoir, I might have an idea for that...

• 4 months later...
heartofperformance
On 8/18/2017 at 12:55 PM, pattonme said:

Dear Pattonme,

Purely for road usage, as I commute 100 miles round trip everyday, rain or shine, for best possible road comfort, will NTR1 be suffice? Or should I opt for the NTR2 as they got separate rebound and damping adjustment(also external reservoir, if that is a good thing)?

Please advise.

Very much appreciated :)

Edited by heartofperformance
typos

if you have the money and the inclination, the NTR2 gives you the option to tweak things. If you're not really into fiddling, then the NTR1 will more than suffice.

• Thanks 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Which one of the mentioned shocks would be best for really shitty pot holded roads? Im not looking for a racing shock I want a comfortable one. Thanks!