The MT-07 Forum

Fully adjustable cartridge retrofit for Forks $400

pattonme

I'm 230lbs so I need to get fork springs to fit my weight and then send those with the forks from the bike? Any recommendations on brand of springs? I'm sure there's rear shock upgrade posts but do you recommend one above any other to match your forks?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're happy with Sonic, that's the 'house' brand and no need to purchase beforehand - I keep a selection in stock. If you want Racetech or Traxxion or
somebody else's springs, then you'll need to source and send along or just pass your order to me and I'll order them for you. Whatever you're comfortable with.

230lb => .95kg/mm

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
correct, just pull the axle out of the way. You can leave the wheel, calipers, etc as-is. When I get around to doing a SFF (single-function fork) which has just 2 pistons instead of 4, then all adjustments can be made from the fork caps. More convenient for sure, but I have to work out the shim stack needed to handle the higher pressures.

Just a suggestion here, drilling axle for adjuster access.

Ducati used this method on thier tubed axle on Showa forks for many years.

The rotational positioning of the axle changes with torque and over time. What you could do is drill the small'ish hole, loosen enough to (re-)align, do the adjust and then re-torque to spec. Not a bad idea.

Except the number of people willing to cross-drill the axle is probably going to be small.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

This type of design works with notching on the axle
But the Fz is a little different as you say but still worth while
The clamping bolts do the real work anyway
(Edit: although this model doesn't use through axle adjust, others did)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
crazycracka501
What the stock spring rated for rider weight? I'm 145lbs maybe 155 with gear. Haven't noticed much of this "pogo stick" feeling.
You weigh as much as I do and you probably won't notice the pogo stick sensation, but, you wouldn't believe the difference in handling the bike has when changing the fork springs and so forth.  I thought the handling was due to my lack of experience with riding hard, turns out majority of the issue was my lack of experience coupled with terrible suspension.  Confidence level went from a 4 to an 8, experience went from a 2 to a 2.5  :D

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

What the stock spring rated for rider weight? I'm 145lbs maybe 155 with gear. Haven't noticed much of this "pogo stick" feeling.
You weigh as much as I do and you probably won't notice the pogo stick sensation, but, you wouldn't believe the difference in handling the bike has when changing the fork springs and so forth.  I thought the handling was due to my lack of experience with riding hard, turns out majority of the issue was my lack of experience coupled with terrible suspension.  Confidence level went from a 4 to an 8, experience went from a 2 to a 2.5  :D

Nice! I can tell that it will help a lot. Just deciding on what to upgrade first.
The forks?
Or the rear shock?

Any ideas

Honda Grom
CB 350

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Nice! I can tell that it will help a lot. Just deciding on what to upgrade first.
The forks?
Or the rear shock?

Any ideas
Since the rear shock is actually made for guys our size I'd say the front forks, but other (smarter) guys may disagree with me.  

Nice! I can tell that it will help a lot. Just deciding on what to upgrade first. The forks?
Or the rear shock?

Any ideas
Since the rear shock is actually made for guys our size I'd say the front forks, but other (smarter) guys may disagree with me.  

Yea, think I agree. I've been able to observe and feel what I think. After couple days in the canyon, I can really feel the front end lacking in those twisters. Needs more feedback and actual feel. I'll look at my options, but think I'll see what Matt can do.

Honda Grom
CB 350

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

@gremlin, Good choice, although I still would like a better shock for the rear. I'm sure the bike would be a lot better without that bouncy POS they have on it. I just don't want to pay $700 + dollars for it lol.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Well I had my forks back, finally got them installed. I've been on a couple of rides and all I can say is money well spent on this upgrade ! The front end feels so much better and safer. It feels like there is now something connecting the handlebar and front wheel. Thanks Matt !

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up from my install. Matt and I live about 90 minutes away from one another...he was able to meet me halfway and sell me a DIY kit with the proper springs, oil, and random bits.

Directions were pretty good, install went well, and I was very happy with the upgrade right away. Now that things have seated in and broken in I guess I've been tweaking and getting things tuned. Very happy with my purchase and Matt was great at answering my questions when i was left scratching my head a couple of times. HIGHLY recommend this kit and buying stuff from Matt. Thanks sir!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
bmwpowere36m3
[div][/div]Still sell DIY for 99-02 SV650? If so price list?

Hi Matt, Is the Showa fork retrofit still available?
PM him. I received mine recently.  Can't wait to install.

• 2 months later...

Did someone outside the US sent you their forks? I'm interested but I live in Quebec, Canada and I'm wondering how well it's going to be with the borders and the shipping costs...

Yes I have had several Canadian customers. Best if you're close to the border a shipping service cuts down a lot of time and can save shipping.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived