The MT-07 Forum

Motodynamic tail light in stock!

TwistedTorque

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest August BB
any ones used the tail light with led front signals yet ?
Here you go sspeed. LED front running lights/signal. I just got the MD's delivered today and did a quick connection test to see if the LED running lights work or not with them.

Guest August BB

Alright, installed it.  I have some mixed feelings about this tail light coming from someone who was using a Supabrake II.

First of all, not sure if its from me removing the tail plastics a whopping 5 (well, 6 now) times making the plastics "loose" but it seems the tail light is smaller or something because for me there is a large gap on either side of the plastics.  It was first on the left side (you can see the foam under the body plastic) which bugged me, then when I removed the plastics again (that was what made it 6) I snapped the rightside tab on the tail light.  Now, I removed the tail plastics exactly the same way the previous 5 times and the tab on the OEM light didn't break, but this one time I removed the tail plastic with the MD tail, the tab instantly broke.  This is partially my fault, but also guessing the plastic is just weaker.  I usually pull out the grommet insert closest to the tail light first, I have always done it that way, but the tail light tab rests in a molded holder on the body plastic, so removing it from the back side first causes sort of a "swinging" action which causes an angle or bend in the tab against the holder which was the reason the tab broke.  So a forewarning for anyone who has this tail light installed, for whatever reason you are removing the tail plastics, remove the grommet inserts closest to the front first to reduce this swinging action which may or may not break the tab(s).

Anyway, after the tab broke, now there is a gap on the right side, with the foam visible.  I just said screw it and I'll live with the gap.

*edit- I went back and removed plastics on just one side and kept pulling out and pushing in the tail light grommet and finally was able to get it flush for both sides.  I think my plastics are just loose from all the continual removing I've done.

Well, that aside, I have some beef with the LED pattern.  The OEM has a V pattern as the running light, then the entire thing fills in when you brake.  The MD has all lights filled in by default, and then it gets brighter when you brake.  The amount it gets brighter is not drastic.  So it might not be completely noticeable when you brake.  So thank the heavens it has modulation.  But the LED is obviously brighter during the day- at least I hope it is.  So in that respect, the MD lights will be more visible in the day but I feel the OEM lights are superior for safety at night riding because of the change in light pattern.  It would've been much better if they went with a pattern change like the OEM lights.

One thing I prefer about the MD brake modulation is there is no interval timer on it, so you can re-pump the brake and it will "reset" and remodulate.  The Supabrake II has a interval timer to prevent it from remodulating right away.  But the Supabrake has 2 stage modulation.  The first one is similar to the MD modulation.  The second one is a longer modulation when you do a slow brake.  Such as to reduce your speed, you slowly hang on the brakes.  This will cause the SBII to modulate longer.  But overall I feel MD's redundant modulation is better as I can use this let's say at a stop light and when I car is coming behind me, I can release the brake, re-brake/modulate, and repeat again to do multiple modulations to be sure the guy can see me.  Something you cannot do with SBII (well, you can do it once, but that's it).

Overall if you have a SBII unit installed and do not care for the sequential signals, then the MD tail light isn't much of an upgrade.  But I do prefer the MD for the user repeated modulation and the sequential signals IN CONJUNCTION with external signals.  I feel just using the integrated signals alone isn't the safest route to go because from a distance its hard to discern which side is blinking.  Also if braking had a light pattern change, the MD would've been perfect.  So going with SBII or MD both has pros and cons making it a toss-up.

• Global Moderator

My Supabrake II will "remodulate". That is actually one of the things I like most about it. If the brake had been on for more than 3.5 second and you release and reapply the brakes within less than half a second you get the full seven pulses. The nice thing about it is that if you are in stop and go traffic you are not constantly flashing at the person behind you.

SouthernSpeed
any ones used the tail light with led front signals yet ?
Here you go sspeed. LED front running lights/signal. I just got the MD's delivered today and did a quick connection test to see if the LED running lights work or not with them.  

sweet thanks, it seems to work well with everything  

The torque on this thing is pretty addictive....

SouthernSpeed
@southernspeed, did you have a specific question in mind?
 Yea, I heard that there might be issues with the MD taillight brake strobe when its connected to led signals, there is an optional regulator they provide, just wondering if anyone has had to use this for the brake strobe.  apparently sometimes with led signals it will just randomly strobe the brake light while the brake is activated.  still waiting on my front signals to arrive, but should be able to test this soon also.

The torque on this thing is pretty addictive....

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
@southernspeed, did you have a specific question in mind?
 Yea, I heard that there might be issues with the MD taillight brake strobe when its connected to led signals, there is an optional regulator they provide, just wondering if anyone has had to use this for the brake strobe.  apparently sometimes with led signals it will just randomly strobe the brake light while the brake is activated.  still waiting on my front signals to arrive, but should be able to test this soon also.
Interesting, thanks for sharing I'll keep that in mind during the install procress. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone will get stopped by a cop that thinks you don't have turn signals (if not using in conj. with stock turn sig.) not that you'll get a ticket, just curious. If anyone does please let us know.

Beemer

• Premium Member
I wonder if anyone will get stopped by a cop that thinks you don't have turn signals (if not using in conj. with stock turn sig.) not that you'll get a ticket, just curious. If anyone does please let us know.
I doubt it, unless perhaps you are in one of the 16 states or so that actually require turn signals (CA, GA, LA, MA, MD, MS, NV, NM, NY, OH, OR, SD, TX, VT, WV, WI), or if the cop is in a particularly bad mood :)

TwistedTorque
Well depends on the state. Some harass b/c of the distance apart (btwn left and right signal). But I think some require it to be DOT approved which basically means factory or bust. But no one I know has ever been harassed.

Well depends on the state. Some harass b/c of the distance apart (btwn left and right signal). But I think some require it to be DOT approved which basically means factory or bust. But no one I know has ever been harassed.
I believe you that no one you know has been harassed but how many people do you know with them, honestly? Other than that, my meaning got lost the first post. I was thinking about how a cop might not be familiar with these kind of lights, not see turn signals mounted to either side of the body and pull someone over 'before' he has seen how the signals work and later realize when shown that they are incorporated in the tail light itself) Are there a lot of these type of lights out there, so many that all cops are familiar with them? I have my doubts.

Beemer

TwistedTorque
I believe you that no one you know has been harassed but how many people do you know with them, honestly? Other than that, my meaning got lost the first post. I was thinking about how a cop might not be familiar with these kind of lights, not see turn signals mounted to either side of the body and pull someone over 'before' he has seen how the signals work and later realize when shown that they are incorporated in the tail light itself) Are there a lot of these type of lights out there, so many that all cops are familiar with them? I have my doubts.
Integrated tail lights are fairly common at least here in NYC but you do still run the risk of a random cop not knowing right away like you said. Of course that one cop that might not recognize it could pull you over like you said and then give you a ticket b/c its not factory or within code. Any time you mod your bike it's always a risk. The majority of the time they won't harass you about it unless your being a douche.

• Global Moderator

In WA state the law says the turn signals have to be nine inches apart. I would think most states have a similar law. Integrated turn signals would therefore be illegal here. I am not sure that you would be pulled over for it, but you could be.

• Premium Member
In WA state the law says the turn signals have to be nine inches apart. I would think most states have a similar law. Integrated turn signals would therefore be illegal here. I am not sure that you would be pulled over for it, but you could be.
Depends upon the state I guess -- actually there are only 16 states that even require any turn signals.  Most riders have a left arm ;)

• Global Moderator

I just checked and WA requires turn signals on motorcycles made after 1960. I guess there are too many riders here with less than two arms.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Are you the one who linked this on /r/fz07 ?  Either way, thanks!
(ಠ_ಠ)

But no, not I. I don't cross streams, if you may. 

• Premium Member

I got the same email but I think I will have to wait a bit longer on this light..I think windscreen, tail bag and pants come first..darn it

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
I got the same email but I think I will have to wait a bit longer on this light..I think windscreen, tail bag and pants come first..darn it

Having pants to wear should ALWAYS take precedent.

• Premium Member

I agree, it's just taking a while to find the right kind that offers protection and fits me..so far i narrowed it down to Dainese Drake Air but they have been out of stock for a while..so yeah I am like $500 before I buy a new tail light

howlinhoss
I agree, it's just taking a while to find the right kind that offers protection and fits me..so far i narrowed it down to Dainese Drake Air but they have been out of stock for a while..so yeah I am like $500 before I buy a new tail light
I bought a pair of Dainese drake air pants. I freaking love them. They look good and you can wear them year round.

Archived