The MT-07 Forum

Front Stand

ch3rryghost

• Premium Member

I've read up on rear stand thread and understand the importance of it--but what about the front? How advantageous is it for me to have one around the garage? What type of maintenance absolutely require a front stand?

For those that have one, what kind do you have? TIA

If you have a front stand that lifts by the bottom of the fork legs, you can remove the front wheel.
If you have a front stand that lifts by the steering stem, you can remove the front wheel and fork legs.You use a rear stand to stabilize the bike.
I have both types, myself.
If I want to remove the triple clamps, too, I hang the bike from tie-down straps through the frame.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Hey, does anyone know the pin size for a triple tree lift?
For a pit-bull stand, it is the #33 for this bike

Hey, does anyone know the pin size for a triple tree lift?
For a pit-bull stand, it is the #33 for this bike
The Stand I am looking at comes with these pin sizes: 13mm, 15mm, 16.5mm, 17mm, and 18mm. 

• Premium Member

Isn't having both stands also helpful for storage? It help keep the tires from getting flat if you aren't riding it for a long period of time?

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Pitbull also makes one that will lift from both the bottoms of the fork legs and the stem.It's the one I have as I wind up working on friend's bikes as well as mine.

They may all look similar, but the tubing Pitbull uses has to be 3x as thick judging just by how much their stuff weighs.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Just thought i would bring back this post. I ordered a venom front stand on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Front-Headlift-Lift-Stand-For-Honda-VTR-1000-Interceptor-Super-Hawk-/161691468021?hash=item25a59000f5&vxp=mtr The stands works great. I doesn't feel flimsy like its going to break. Easily lifts the front of the bike. I also use it on my Ninja 300 as well. I had preordered the pitiful [HASH]33 pin from revzilla http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pit-bull-front-stand-pin and it arrived before the stand. Everything worked great and i now feel better lifting the front of the bike instead of using the forklift stand. it always made me nervous. Another note is that the pitiful stand pin has a hole at the bottom for the clevis pin to fit into. The hold is too small but not a big deal. The pitiful pin bottoms out and will lift the bike just fine. It will not fall out.

20150921_190022.jpg
how to do a screen shot

20150921_190051.jpg
greenshot

• Premium Member

The stand came with smaller pins but it i could drill it out. Didn't really seem to be too important since it bottoms out.

I also got the venom ones but not for the tiple tree. Wasn't sure bout the sizing and all so got the other one for the front tire

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member

For anyone who has the Venom stand, if you don't want to go the way of the [HASH]33 Pitbull pin, Venom has a set of 20, 21, 23, 24, and 27mm pins for about $20 shipped.
amazon link

I just ordered it and will update later but I'm pretty sure the 20mm should work fine for the FZ-07.

EDIT: the 21mm is a better fit

• 1 month later...
For anyone who has the Venom stand, if you don't want to go the way of the [HASH]33 Pitbull pin, Venom has a set of 20, 21, 23, 24, and 27mm pins for about $20 shipped. amazon link

I just ordered it and will update later but I'm pretty sure the 20mm should work fine for the FZ-07.
did it work? 

• Premium Member

So I'm kind of a motorcycle newbie and haven't had to use the front stand yet. So someone can help answer my question.
I tried the 20 and 21mm pins that I got and the 21 seems to fit better
My only question is if it the pin should go up this high:

first the 20mm:
https://s32.postimg.org/gm4q25lz9/IMG_20160729_111829.jpg

and the 21mm:
https://s32.postimg.org/7trjca5dx/IMG_20160729_111724.jpg

Is the pin supposed to bottom out and carry the weight of the bike or is the pin there just to keep the bike from moving around and the weight of the bike is supported directly by the stand?

9Q2fFwX.jpg

I used it for my 06 GSXR750. I don't know what pin size it is but it works. I could find out I guess if someone really needed to know.

Also this stand is maybe 10 years old? Love this stand. Fully adjustable rear for spools or swing arm.

Greatness

Guest ChicagoAJ

Excuse my ignorance, but where does the pin go under the triple tree? I have a big rubber grommet in the only spot that looks available for something to put in and lift. Do I just pop that out? I didn't want to pull on it in case it was doing something important other than stopping dust from collecting (it didn't come out with easy pulls so I figured I'd ask first).

• Premium Member
Excuse my ignorance, but where does the pin go under the triple tree? I have a big rubber grommet in the only spot that looks available for something to put in and lift. Do I just pop that out? I didn't want to pull on it in case it was doing something important other than stopping dust from collecting (it didn't come out with easy pulls so I figured I'd ask first).

That's how I felt at first
Yep
Pull it out

Guest ChicagoAJ
That's how I felt at first Yep
Pull it out
Awesome, thanks! I just found the attachment on eBay for the triple tree stand since I already have the venom front stand (I really didn't want to have to buy a whole different stand). Hope one of those 5 pins that comes with it works. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
That's how I felt at first Yep
Pull it out
Awesome, thanks! I just found the attachment on eBay for the triple tree stand since I already have the venom front stand (I really didn't want to have to buy a whole different stand). Hope one of those 5 pins that comes with it works. 
I'm doing the same thing. Already have front and rear venom stands. Spending $53 on the triple tree conversion is worth it imo. Eventually I'll get the pit bulls when these wear out. For the most part these guys are pretty good for maintenance and mod installs.  
Did you order/receive the attachment? Did any of the pins that came with it fit?

Suppose I want to lift both wheels, do I place the rear stand first, or the one on the front? You know, stability-wise.
I ALWAYS lift the rear wheel before lifting the front. I'm not sure if that's the only way but it way to unstable to do the front first in my opinion.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

Guest ChicagoAJ
I'm doing the same thing. Already have front and rear venom stands. Spending $53 on the triple tree conversion is worth it imo. Eventually I'll get the pit bulls when these wear out. For the most part these guys are pretty good for maintenance and mod installs.  
Did you order/receive the attachment? Did any of the pins that came with it fit?

Suppose I want to lift both wheels, do I place the rear stand first, or the one on the front? You know, stability-wise.
I ALWAYS lift the rear wheel before lifting the front. I'm not sure if that's the only way but it way to unstable to do the front first in my opinion.
I didn't order it yet, but from what I understand the pin that fits our bikes is a 21mm. So when you order the attachment you need to make sure you get the kit with that pin in it. They sell two kits, one with smaller pins and one with larger pins. The kit with the larger pins has the 21mm pin we need. I just searched eBay for Venom Headlift Attachment for Yamaha FZ07 and the correct kit comes up. Hope that helps. 

take the 23mm pin to your local Lathe operator and have him cut 1/2 of it down to 22mm.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

My mistake
I confused the 20/21 pins with 21/22 pins. I deleted that post.

You're right. It's the 21 pin that works the best.

Archived