The MT-07 Forum

Flasher relay

jsmithrtr

Can someone please tell me where the flasher relay is located? I want to change it to an LED relay. Sorry if there's already a thread on this. I can't seem to find any info anywhere. Thanks in advance.

• Global Moderator

Underneath the left side tank plastics. It is just in front of the thing with the cooling fins on it. Unplug what you think it is and if the turn signals stop flashing then you have the right part.

• 2 weeks later...
migglesworth

Just replaced mine. This one is plug and play. All it requires is some slight cutting of the plastic tab on it. Once you get to the relay, it is ultra obvious what to do. Super simple install once you get the plastics off.

This was detailed by user @manuel in this thread

• Global Moderator

I installed that unit and did not cut anything. I just velcroed it in the same location the old relay was.

• Premium Member

That's the one I used also. Plug and play, but I mounted mine with a screw.

- Paulie

aftermath07

Quick question gents, I replaced my rear turn signals with some LED ones off amazon along with the tail tidy i purchased. When I was doing the initial install, I tested with a single led turn signal and it was working ok, albeit blinking fast.. Once I installed the second one I lost all flashers. I still have the stock signals on the front, leds on rear. Front running lights working fine but I have no flashers / 4 way for front or rear. I ordered and replaced the flasher relay unit today with LF1-S-FLAT. This made no change. I verified that I wired the led signals in the rear correctly, and also tried switching out the flasher fuse without luck. still have running lights, but no flashers even after replacing the flasher relay.

I salvaged the connections from the original tail, so i connected the wired to the back end of those connections and still use the stock connectors to tie in to the electrical harness. Didn't make any unnecessary modifications to the electrical but im at a total loss and this has become slightly aggravating to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not sure if there is an additional relay or something I need to change or if having the stock lights up front and leds in rear is causing an issue. I am going to go grab a multimeter so i can check the voltage going to those signals on the rear, but I'm really lost.

Thanks in advance.

migglesworth
I installed that unit and did not cut anything. I just velcroed it in the same location the old relay was.
Yeah I just cut a bit of the plastic tab off so it would fit into the rubber unit holding the old relay on. There are trillion was this thing can be mounted. I was stoked to find there was no nonsense when I got to it.

migglesworth
Quick question gents, I replaced my rear turn signals with some LED ones off amazon along with the tail tidy i purchased. When I was doing the initial install, I tested with a single led turn signal and it was working ok, albeit blinking fast.. Once I installed the second one I lost all flashers. I still have the stock signals on the front, leds on rear. Front running lights working fine but I have no flashers / 4 way for front or rear. I ordered and replaced the flasher relay unit today with LF1-S-FLAT. This made no change. I verified that I wired the led signals in the rear correctly, and also tried switching out the flasher fuse without luck. still have running lights, but no flashers even after replacing the flasher relay. 
I salvaged the connections from the original tail, so i connected the wired to the back end of those connections and still use the stock connectors to tie in to the electrical harness. Didn't make any unnecessary modifications to the electrical but im at a total loss and this has become slightly aggravating to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not sure if there is an additional relay or something I need to change or if having the stock lights up front and leds in rear is causing an issue. I am going to go grab a multimeter so i can check the voltage going to those signals on the rear, but I'm really lost.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah that is baffling. Seems like you've run all necessary tests as well. I am certainly not skilled with understanding electrical systems, but perhaps disconnecting the DRL wire on the front flashers and giving that a try. That's the only test it seems like you haven't run. Not particularly helpful I realize, but trying to add something as I know how frustrating this type of issue can be. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cjwwd2

Is replacing the relay necessary to getting LED turn signals to blink correctly? I've tried adding resistors to the circuit and they still blink fast.

Is replacing the relay necessary to getting LED turn signals to blink correctly? I've tried adding resistors to the circuit and they still blink fast.
Replacing the relay is just easier to be honest.

Guest cjwwd2

Am I correct in seeing that the relay is under the panel on the left side of the bike? I'm not really sure how that is easier than wiring a resistor in to the circuit when I'm wiring up the new turn signals?

Am I correct in seeing that the relay is under the panel on the left side of the bike? I'm not really sure how that is easier than wiring a resistor in to the circuit when I'm wiring up the new turn signals?
Considering you have to go back and essentially redo what you've already did, making twice the work for yourself, yes replacing the main relay would've been much easier had you started with that.  But in your position it won't make too much difference. 
But overall, replacing the main relay is much more cleaner and efficient.  Having to shove those individual relays in your headlight assembly?  More wires.  More bulk.  More mess.  More points of failure.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator

I was more concerned that the resistors are going to get hot when you are using the signals. The relay is very easy to replace.

Yeah, there is that too. The heat.

Guest cjwwd2
Considering you have to go back and essentially redo what you've already did, making twice the work for yourself, yes replacing the main relay would've been much easier had you started with that.  But in your position it won't make too much difference. 
But overall, replacing the main relay is much more cleaner and efficient.  Having to shove those individual relays in your headlight assembly?  More wires.  More bulk.  More mess.  More points of failure.
I still have the bike pretty broken down at the moment. Headlight is off and tail is down to the frame in preparation of installing tail tidy and turn signals. I guess it might be worth it to go ahead and take off left tank fairing.

The good thing about this bike is removing everything is absurdly easy. You going to keep your bike out of service for a few days or even over a week?

Guest cjwwd2

Well I'm waiting on one other piece to show up but it should be here Saturday. Gonna be too cold to ride anyways until next Tuesday.

Guest cjwwd2

Got the LED relay installed this morning and it works perfectly. Completely plug and play. I drilled a hole in the plastic where the OEM one was attached and attached the new one with a zip tie. This one is what I used --> Relay

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Got the LED relay installed this morning and it works perfectly. Completely plug and play. I drilled a hole in the plastic where the OEM one was attached and attached the new one with a zip tie. This one is what I used --> Relay
When you swapped out the relay with this one,  did it fix the flash rate for front and back?

• Global Moderator
When you swapped out the relay with this one,  did it fix the flash rate for front and back?
There is only one relay that controls both front, rear and hazards. 

If anyone wants one...I have a spare one but it is not plug n play. you would need to crimp on some connectors.
I bought it off ebay and wasnt patient enough for it to arrive so I bought an overpriced one.

$5 shipped

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a link for one of these on eBay or amazon

Archived