The MT-07 Forum

Cyclops LED bulb system *UPDATE - New bulb installed!*

fooschnickens

I suspect there will be pretty much NO incandescent bulbs on motorcycles within 5 years or so. Headlight shapes will be able to change a lot ( like the reflector revolution in the last few years thanks to ray analysis). Currently we are just replacing LEDs into incandescent housings but LEDs don't have the some of restrictions of std bulbs. Have a look what happened to Mountain bike lights in the last 5 years to get some sort of idea and the light bars the offroad guys developed.
As far a leds are concerned we are just out of the carbon filament era to the tungsten. Much more to come.
BTW I got exactly the same LED for my bike before I discovered this forum by coincidence. But I found I had to move the whole light assembly forward an inch to ensure enough clearance behind the fan houding.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

Yes, great to have you here @cyclops. Finally someone with some expertise. Can't wait to get my hands on a bulb and rip out my HID setup.

If you already have a HID setup, why remove it if it is working OK unless you are getting frequency problems from the circuit. Light is good from a high/low HID 35watter. LED won't be an improvement ( yet). If you still have a std bulb then a LED swap makes sense, but if you already installed the HID you won't gain anything by the swap. Neither light nor lower curent draw.

• Global Moderator
If you already have a HID setup, why remove it if it is working OK unless you are getting frequency problems from the circuit. Light is good from a high/low HID 35watter. LED won't be an improvement ( yet). If you still have a std bulb then a LED swap makes sense, but if you already installed the HID you won't gain anything by the swap. Neither light nor lower curent draw.
You are right. There is no reason at all to remove it and install led. But people say I am not reasonable guy (jk).
The main reason would be a cleaner install. A HID setup requires direct connection to the battery and a separate ground. And the set involves extra wiring. A led bulb is plug and play. 
Then there is the fact that HID is not as durable as led. I do have a spare bulb and so far everything works so I am not in a hurry. 

• Premium Member

Mine came in today! Can't seem to find any room for the "power box" thing and plug connector (not actual names I know). Any help?

• Premium Member

Ended up just doing a trial and error method of "what won't crush this at full lock both sides" and just left it

fooschnickens
Mine came in today! Can't seem to find any room for the "power box" thing and plug connector (not actual names I know). Any help?
There's a large "void" to either side of headlight assembly that I tucked it into before bolting everything back in place. I didn't bother taping/gluing the little box anywhere. Once it's bolted back in place nothing shows and it's held in place quite nicely. 

• Premium Member

I actually had a heck of a time because when I installed my LED signals I also installed a pair of blinker genies so that the DRL function would remain, and those things plus the extra wires took up a lot of real estate in that headlight assembly void. Wound up shoving that stuff as much as possible into the turn signal stalk area(s) to clear out space for the box -- after that everything went back together easily.

• Premium Member
There's a large "void" to either side of headlight assembly that I tucked it into before bolting everything back in place. I didn't bother taping/gluing the little box anywhere. Once it's bolted back in place nothing shows and it's held in place quite nicely.
Thanks for the response! I definitely see some space by the turn signals. What I'm having the most trouble with is the "box" or socket the light plugs into that used to sit where the fan assembly is now. It's not as maneuverable as the other one

Fair point Guru. Reliability SHOULD be better with the LED because less wiring and the theoretical life span of the LED.

ericpev,

did is you ever find a spot to locate the extras in?
I am  asking because my LED arrives next week and have read this thread 3 times but would like a clearer idea of what I'm up against as far as space.

FoosC/ericpev,
 Thanks for getting most of us guided in the right direction with your original posts and clear detailed pictures.
You think maybe you could get out the camera and snap another pic of the best location for the extras??
please please please.....definitely help us visual learners.

• Premium Member
ericpev, 
did is you ever find a spot to locate the extras in?
I am  asking because my LED arrives next week and have read this thread 3 times but would like a clearer idea of what I'm up against as far as space.

FoosChnickens......
 Thanks for getting most of us guided in the right direction with your original posts and clear detailed pictures.
You think maybe you could get out the camera and snap another pic of the best location for the extras??
please please please.....definitely help us visual learners.
I actually was able to reassess how things are placed. I was worried about the plug getting crushed at full lock where I had it placed originally. I got the cyclops light power box into the right turn signal space and the plug connection box hangs down south of that between the headlight assembly and the throttle cables. Everything seems to stay and I'm pretty sure the plug piece isn't crushed when turning the handlebars at all. I'll try to grab some pictures

Ericpev,
thanks for the response and pic if you can as that would certainly help me out with install next week when my LED arrives.
I'm willing to bet with all those orders placed, others would benefit as well.

• Premium Member
Ericpev, thanks for the response and pic if you can as that would certainly help me out with install next week when my LED arrives.
I'm willing to bet with all those orders placed, others would benefit as well.
Here are a couple pictures. Kind of an are to try to get good angles but maybe these will help a little. You can see the plug behind the throttle cables and I tried to show the cyclops power box inside the signal stalk through the hole.

lYL6z68.jpg
1xNiMqS.jpg
PWWlIpw.jpg

ericpev,
That's what I'm talking about!  
Thank you very much for taking those shots, now I have a better idea where to place them when my LED arrives.
Great work!

• Premium Member
ericpev, That's what I'm talking about!  
Thank you very much for taking those shots, now I have a better idea where to place them when my LED arrives.
Great work!
Yikes didn't realize my pictures were so big haha. But no problem and glad I could help. Thanks goes to @fooschnickens and @so1102 for the location idea

• Premium Member

Also @fzrdr,
I personally did NOT need to modify the boot to get everything to fit. Just in case you were wondering

Also @fzrdr, I personally did NOT need to modify the boot to get everything to fit. Just in case you were wondering
Oh yeah I was..... thanks again

fooschnickens
Also @fzrdr, I personally did NOT need to modify the boot to get everything to fit. Just in case you were wondering
It's not required to make it fit, but I wanted to give the fan plenty of airflow to keep things cool. Plus if I ever go back to a standard bulb (for some reason) it's a $5 part that is easily replaced. 

About that notch shadow in the low beam pics, it appears that the square/angled metal piece just below the bulb in the picture of the headlight is the culprit. Can that notch be tucked in behind the reflective plate (doubtful) because it's blocking the reflective material and causing the empty spot in the light pattern? Also, I know the bulb has a long life but I can't help but wonder about the life of that tiny fan. If it goes out the bulb will only be as good as the fan if you catch my meaning. I don't know how long tiny fans typically last, maybe it's nothing to be concerned with, IDK. It's just a point no one has brought up yet and since people are making good and bad points .... I give credit to the bulb, it sure is bright! 

Beemer

? Also, I know the bulb has a long life but I can't help but wonder about the life of that tiny fan. If it goes out the bulb will only be as good as the fan if you catch my meaning. I don't know how long tiny fans typically last, maybe it's nothing to be concerned with, IDK. It's just a point no one has brought up yet and since people are making good and bad points .... I give credit to the bulb, it sure is bright! 
Beemer, It comes with a 12 month warranty, stated right on their site.
That's pretty good considering your typical halogen comes with no guarantee.
So if the fan part does go bad at least I know I can get in touch with Cyclops.

From Cyclops Site:
Color temperature 5500K

Power draw 20 watts on Low 40 watts on high

Life span 30,000 hrs

12 Month Warranty

You're looking at it one way, you assume whatever happens will happen within the first year and yes, I know it has a year warranty and I know the specs, I checked out the web site as well, a lot of products have a 12 mo. warranty but that doesn't answer my question or put my mind at rest since not all things expire before their warranty is out. I generally only ride about an hour a day on average so if a cheap little electrical fan goes out after 365 hours/days, I'm not going to be too pleased, especially if someone on the other end says, sorry, Bub, your warranty has expired and there's no replacement fan, you have to buy a new bulb. Thanks for your input, I know you tried.

Nice mini bike, is that a Tecumseh?

Beemer

Hey Beemer, 
 I tried, we are all entitled to our own way of thinking.  I certainly respect yours.

For me, I am willing to take the chance on that part.
Heck it's really only double the price of the ultra star halogen I was originally using and for possibility of three times the amount of light output.....might just be the difference of someone not pulling out in front of me, saving my arse! 

Now onto the mini
,that's an original Bull Taco mini bike.
With a 3.5 Briggs.

fooschnickens
About that notch shadow in the low beam pics, it appears that the square/angled metal piece just below the bulb in the picture of the headlight is the culprit. Can that notch be tucked in behind the reflective plate (doubtful) because it's blocking the reflective material and causing the empty spot in the light pattern? Also, I know the bulb has a long life but I can't help but wonder about the life of that tiny fan. If it goes out the bulb will only be as good as the fan if you catch my meaning. I don't know how long tiny fans typically last, maybe it's nothing to be concerned with, IDK. It's just a point no one has brought up yet and since people are making good and bad points .... I give credit to the bulb, it sure is bright! 
There's actually nothing to bend out of the way, there's simply nothing reflective in that little patch directly below the bulb. if anything a small patch of foil tape might help fill that spot in. Might be worth a try. 

Archived