The MT-07 Forum

Cyclops LED bulb system *UPDATE - New bulb installed!*

fooschnickens

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Beemer,   I tried, we are all entitled to our own way of thinking.  I certainly respect yours.

For me, I am willing to take the chance on that part.
Heck it's really only double the price of the ultra star halogen I was originally using and for possibility of three times the amount of light output.....might just be the difference of someone not pulling out in front of me, saving my arse! 

Now onto the mini
,that's an original Bull Taco mini bike.
With a 3.5 Briggs.
It probably is a fine light bulb. I'm just a worry wart and over think things at times but sensing trouble ahead has also kept me out of trouble at times.  

Bull Taco, lol! I haven't seen a Bultaco since I've seen an old 2-stroke AJS, that's awesome! I didn't even know they made mini bikes. Gotta love the Briggs!

Beemer

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Can you please fix your images? 

http://i.imgur.com/wjzNydI.png
+1 
I just ordered mine a few seconds ago. I'd love to be able to use your pictures as a guide! :)

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

fooschnickens

Oi vey, looks like my imgur got hacked and they shut my account down. In the process of getting it back under control so I'll hopefully have it fixed tonight.

fooschnickens

Ok, should be good to go now. Might have to clear your cache for the new links to start working.

Ok, should be good to go now. Might have to clear your cache for the new links to start working.
Works now, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Question is, who has it at the best price?
Uh, for the Cyclops LED? Cyclops. It's the *only* place to get that particular kit.

Normally on these vehicle specific forums there are dealers signed up as users that give good deals. Thats what I was asking, who do I talk to?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Normally on these vehicle specific forums there are dealers signed up as users that give good deals. Thats what I was asking, who do I talk to?
Here ya go: Cyclops discount   ::) 

Illegitimi non carborundum

If anyone buys this bulb be sure to install it in the housing with the LED modules facing left and right like the manual says, not up and down or else you will get a wonky light pattern and possibly a dark spot in the top center of the light pattern. Mine looks fine.

Beemer

• Premium Member

@Beemer I just installed this bulb yesterday and mine is left and right and I still have a dark spot in the top center..@fooschnickens when adjusting the headlight how many feet/yards is your main focus of light on the lowbeam?

@beemer I just installed this bulb yesterday and mine is left and right and I still have a dark spot in the top center..@fooschnickens when adjusting the headlight how many feet/yards is your main focus of light on the lowbeam?
I can't say exactly how far the brightest part of my low beam goes out. All I thought about when adjusting it was to get the angle just right, I didn't stop to think about just how far it went out. All I can say is when I tested it, it went out further than the stock beam and was much brighter so I'm happy with the bulb. (thank you Cyclops) When I put mine in I had to adjust it down so being that the beam was pointing up so high and far out I didn't see any dark spot. Maybe tonight I can check it out and let you know. 

Beemer

fooschnickens
@Beemer I just installed this bulb yesterday and mine is left and right and I still have a dark spot in the top center..@fooschnickens when adjusting the headlight how many feet/yards is your main focus of light on the lowbeam?
I'll measure tonight. That dark spot is from the "notch" underneath the bulb location in the housing. I've got a piece of silver aircraft tape I'm going to try sticking in that void to see if it fills in the ban pattern at all. I'll let you know later today how it works.

fooschnickens Is your light still adjusted the way it shows in your pics? I have my high beam set to throw almost straight out to light up things far away, the brightest part of my beam doesn't strike the ground like yours does so the 'spot' doesn't show up cause it doesn't strike the road. If you adjust it up that notch in your low beam probably won't be as prevalent. 

On a different note: Since I installed the Cyclops 3800 LED H4 bulb my high beam has been switching to low beam by itself. I ride with the high on in the day time so I figured it was just heating up and fail safing to the low. I talked to Greg at Cyclops and he said it sounded like that's what it is doing, that it's designed that way in case of over heating. So we blabbed about it and in the end it was decided it was best to remove the boot and base plate completely to allow more air flow. That should do the trick and if not I'll drill a couple 1/4 holes in the bottom of the housing. I will test it soon and report the results.

Beemer

• Premium Member

The more I look at your pictures It seems like I got a defective bulb @cyclops @fooschnickens can you confirm which of your pictures is the defective bulb because mine looks like this

fooschnickens
The more I look at your pictures It seems like I got a defective bulb @cyclops @fooschnickens can you confirm which of your pictures is the defective bulb because mine looks like this 

The top photo was the bad bulb, the bottom photo is what the functioning one looks like. 

• Premium Member

okay..sounds good yeah mine looks like the bottom one, like you said let me know what's your distance of the focus of light on low beam

• Premium Member
okay..sounds good yeah mine looks like the bottom one, like you said let me know what's your distance of the focus of light on low beam
the easy way to to it is to back the bike up 25' or so from a wall, and then take a measurement from the ground to the middle of the headlight lens.  Then place a piece of tape on the wall the same height from the ground, and adjust until it matches (roughly)

• 1 month later...
How do these LED lights perform with projector retrofits?
If I had to guess, not well. I am going to email a professional about this and tell you what they think, but these are my thoughts. It probably wouldn't be easy or practical to put a cyclops bulb in a projector. The D2S bulbs that most projectors both OEM and aftermarket, have are always in "high beam" mode so to speak. Meaning the bulbs themselves are not getting brighter by switching on a different filament on the bulb when you switch your high beams on (as our stock H4 bulb does as well as the cyclops bulb). Rather, the cut off shield in the projector moves out of the way for more light to move from the bulb and the reflector bowl in the projector through the lens. You would somehow need to make the cyclops bulb in high beam mode all the time and have your high beam switch connected to the solenoid of the projector if you wanted this to even remotely work. And on top of that, from what I've seen about the cyclops bulb, the light output isn't very uniform and that is an issue with projectors. The projector specific D2S bulbs are designed to throw light evenly throughout the inside of the projector's reflector bowl in every direction and reflect it into the lens and cut-off shield the proper way. The cyclops bulb which was designed for use with our motorcycle's reflector bowl, would not throw light evenly, possibly resulting in weird patterns and dark spots below the cut-off line. And to add even more insult to injury, the cyclops bulb sticks out of the headlight housing a tad further because of the fan on the LED, I think this would probably get in the way because the projector will stick out of the housing further too. 
I'm not saying the cyclops bulb is bad, just for projector retrofitting, you should probably stick with the industry standard D2S bulb, unless your situation calls for something more specific bulbs like a D2R, D2H, D4S, etc. Most of the time, LED bulbs are used for high beam use. That what they are good at, big light that will cover a lot of area fairly uniformly by the use of symmetrical placement of bright LEDs. When you start to branch off trying to incorporate the low/high beam functionality into LED bulbs, you will start to see performance suffering (you may not notice it, but trust me, it's there) because the uniformity of the light output is disrupted by separate LEDs that activate at separate times. I'll update when TRS gets back to me but hopefully this helps.

Archived