The MT-07 Forum

Best radiator guard?

rowdy

SouthernSpeed

I ordered the evo tech guard a few days ago, still waiting on it to arrive. Looked like the best to me, I got it from Motostaz also. Will post pics when I get it installed with other goodies.

The torque on this thing is pretty addictive....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've asked this of Ryan's guard, but have any of you monitored before and after motor coolant temps? From what I have seen the open areas in some of these guard can be as low as 40% which is effectively taking away cooling capacity. Just curious, the bike may have more than enough excess cooling to handle the guard.

• Global Moderator

My temperatures seem to be about the same as without the Evotech. In 50° weather it is running between 165° and 180°. I will have to see how it is in summer temps, but it seems about right.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I've asked this of Ryan's guard, but have any of you monitored before and after motor coolant temps? From what I have seen the open areas in some of these guard can be as low as 40% which is effectively taking away cooling capacity. Just curious, the bike may have more than enough excess cooling to handle the guard.
Both Ryan and I live in areas where it gets pretty damn hot in the summer.  He said the thing performed well in his desert temps so I'm sure you won't have a problem. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member

So I got the EvoTech installed today.  It was so easy, it can't even really be called an "install".  Let's just say I put it on. ;)
Here's some pics:
ep2_zpsyxtb0fm8.jpg
ep2_zpsp5hwdo6k.jpg

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

I just got my Pyramid Radiator Guard from the United Kingdom. It took 3 weeks to get here but well worth it. I am going to paint it Blurple as soon as my paint arrives. Simple 5 min install fits great and good coverage.VVnEfdc.jpg?1bz6q0ff.jpguhBqpIG.jpgaWEauyI.jpg

• Premium Member

I like the evotech but being that the embossing is the same as my initials, I don't need those that know me thinking I'm THAT self centered hahaha

• Premium Member

Went with the evotech anyway lol. Quick question for those that have this. When you received it, is it supposed to be bent? Mine seems twisted a bit and when I twist it the other way, it springs back. Normal?

• Global Moderator

They do that. When it is installed it stays straight.

I just got my Pyramid Radiator Guard from the United Kingdom. It took 3 weeks to get here but well worth it. I am going to paint it Blurple as soon as my paint arrives. Simple 5 min install fits great and good coverage.
I just got this guard too, can you take a pick of the rad after you paint it? I'm considering doing that too.. Also where did you get the paint that you are going to use and do you know what color code it is?

• Premium Member

I just installed @rotaryryan24's rad guard and side plates. I'm really impressed at the build quality and how rugged it is.

Everything went braap.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I have the RG Radiator guard. The screw holes are oval shaped and oriented laterally. Each screw fit tightly towards the inside laterally. By the time I was tightening the fourth screw, I had very little play left and it was a tight fight, and difficult to get the threads to take hold.
 I got the R&G Radiator guard because it was supposed to fit with the Yamaha aftermarket side covers. Fair warning:It was a real struggle to install and an additional trip needed to Home Depot to get it fit. The holes were not measuring up very well with the radiator and to got it attached, I needed to by smaller screws to get them fit through the not matching very tight holes. It could be avoided if R&G did a better job measuring up their radiator guard with the actual radiator!   [attachment id=145" thumbnail="1]

Love to ride!

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I have the RG Radiator guard. The screw holes are oval shaped and oriented laterally. Each screw fit tightly towards the inside laterally. By the time I was tightening the fourth screw, I had very little play left and it was a tight fight, and difficult to get the threads to take hold.
 I got the R&G Radiator guard because it was supposed to fit with the Yamaha aftermarket side covers. Fair warning:It was a real struggle to install and an additional trip needed to Home Depot to get it fit. The holes were not measuring up very well with the radiator and to got it attached, I needed to by smaller screws to get them fit through the not matching very tight holes. It could be avoided if R&G did a better job measuring up their radiator guard with the actual radiator!   

Not a dig or anything, but Ryan's won't have that problem and I have to say again, the pictures of his do not do it justice as can be seen in person.  Very nice and much better quality products than most at the same price. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Does anyone have any recommendations for radiator guards that will fit the Billet radiator side covers from the Yamaha site? Looks like the Evotech is the only one that will fit with the other accessory.

• 7 months later...

I just bought this rad guard.

It fits all I wanted from a purchased rad guard.
1. Cheaper than the other commercial ones available. Only $72 USD.
2. It fits the entire trim of the radiator, including the bottom right hump. Very clean looking.
3. Holes are not too big/small
4. Solid edges to give more resistance to flexing when debris might hit it.
5. It's in black!

Only downside that some may have issue with is the UK flag at the top lol. I'll make a review thread for this radiator guard once I install it.

Nice radiator guard, @07echelon !
Regarding the UK flag, the seller write "Can be supplied without badge on request." ;)

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Nice radiator guard, @07echelon ! Regarding the UK flag, the seller write "Can be supplied without badge on request." ;)
Seems like final exams have gotten the best of me, since I thought I read the description...guess not lol.  
I wonder if they can create different flag badges on request. Other buyers might like that.

Archived