The MT-07 Forum

Tank Bags

Guest montana07

Guest montana07

Anyone pick up a tank bag for this bike yet?  I'm looking to pick one up, but with the plastic tank panels I don't want to go in blind.  Also concerned with obscuring the instrument screen since it's mounted so low.

I'm having the same problem trying to find a small tank bag to hold my phone to use as GPS and maybe a few small things ecig and a small pistol for solo back road riding

• 3 weeks later...

I have ordered the Yam saddlebags/mount bracket at DHY dealer. Sadly the Yam tank bag is not listed as a FZ07 part. The bolt on bracket is sized to the FZ09 which has the same fuel filler cap. It seems that the more forward position is why on the 07 it can't fit. Pity, the snap on bracket is a big improvement over the typical magnets or straps. Part 1RC-F41B0-V0-00

• 3 years later...

Has anyone bought and used this bag? If so, can we get some pics of it mounted on their bike. Someone put up pics of their ring style tank bag recently (same bag???) but it's not listed here where maybe it should be so people can find it easier. 

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Luggage-Racing-Yamaha-2014-2017/dp/B0783Q141D/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529328202&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=tank+ring+tank+bag+for+FZ-07

Thanks for any help!

Beemer

I have this one from oxford

https://www.amazon.com/Oxford-OL185-Black-Magnetic-Motorcycle/dp/B00SN99ARO

Its not available now but they make similar.  I attached rare earth magnets under my fairing and also replaced the magnets in the bag with rare earth magnets. https://www.magcraft.com

It works very well.  I did review and work in progress on here when I did it.  It was a while ago, before the site changed but my handle back then was nmrider.  

2 hours ago, Daniel Cox said:

I have this one from oxford

https://www.amazon.com/Oxford-OL185-Black-Magnetic-Motorcycle/dp/B00SN99ARO 

Its not available now but they make similar.  I attached rare earth magnets under my fairing and also replaced the magnets in the bag with rare earth magnets. https://www.magcraft.com

It works very well.  I did review and work in progress on here when I did it.  It was a while ago, before the site changed but my handle back then was nmrider.  

I just put some of the same type magnets under my tank fairing as well (didn't change out the bag magnets)) and even though they seem to hold the bag down pretty well a gust of wind from the side can push it sideways and I don't trust the magnets alone to keep the bag secured. Your bag may behave differently, IDK. I may just go old school and buy some of the mini bungees to secure at least the top of the bag so it can't fly off the tank completely. That's all I worry about.

A little slippage to the side may prove a little annoying but no biggie for me. It may not look as good with a bungee attached either but I'm usually moving too fast for anyone to tell it's there and who cares what anyone thinks anyway. I guess I'll try a bungee cord before I buy a new bag. Thanks!

Beemer

Light gauge Cordura straps with plastic ( strong) slip clamp cleats works well and will damage the tank surface less. That's what I use. One around the steering head one either side at the back. For heavier loads you could add a couple at the front sides.

If you are using the bag a lot then you could add some quick release clips on the bike itself to get on and off easier. That's what I had on my Husky for my big trip.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

topazsparrow

I just bought a backpack and put the shoulder straps over the "scoops" on the gas tank plastics. It works better than any tankbag I've ever had.

Bonus points for bags with the cinch straps on the sides for when it's not super full. Amazing on long road trips because you can lean against it, and it looks pretty decent on the bike too.

9 hours ago, Beemer said:

I just put some of the same type magnets under my tank fairing as well (didn't change out the bag magnets)) and even though they seem to hold the bag down pretty well a gust of wind from the side can push it sideways and I don't trust the magnets alone to keep the bag secured. Your bag may behave differently, IDK. I may just go old school and buy some of the mini bungees to secure at least the top of the bag so it can't fly off the tank completely. That's all I worry about.

A little slippage to the side may prove a little annoying but no biggie for me. It may not look as good with a bungee attached either but I'm usually moving too fast for anyone to tell it's there and who cares what anyone thinks anyway. I guess I'll try a bungee cord before I buy a new bag. Thanks!

Ya know I was kind of the same way but the bag I have "oxford of some kind" has a security strap that runs around the front fork pivot (I swear I cant think of the name of it!)  It does give some peace of mind but after going on the second yr of use, the thing has never budged.  I work in a secure area and have to show a badge at multiple checkpoints.  I keep my badge in the clear pocket on the bag where you would put a phone.  Even zipping and unzipping that pocket, the bag doesn't move.  I also just did the magnet on the fairing at first, and wasn't confident, but when I cut the stitching and put the rare earth ones in the bag too it was like night and day.  When I slide it back into place after fueling, they POP into place.  

97xQ+X9EToiPjt6GmgC5uA.jpg

5 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

I just bought a backpack and put the shoulder straps over the "scoops" on the gas tank plastics. It works better than any tankbag I've ever had.

Bonus points for bags with the cinch straps on the sides for when it's not super full. Amazing on long road trips because you can lean against it, and it looks pretty decent on the bike too.

Do you have any pictures of it? I'm intrigued but can't quite envision it...

topazsparrow
1 hour ago, mick97702 said:

Do you have any pictures of it? I'm intrigued but can't quite envision it...

I dont have any very clear pictures, but here's the general idea from a long trip I did:

Capture.thumb.JPG.66db71d3485308e04fc2bfdf36b3745f.JPG

IMG_20160707_134454.jpg

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

17 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Sounds good but would it take longer to undo, move out of the way to fuel up and re-strap afterwards? I have a nice back pack like what you described with the cinch straps plus a pocket made to hold a water bladder. Maybe some quick release clips like @gregjet said to put on/take off quicker. Sounds nice for long trips when you need something bigger than a tiny 1 liter bag like mine. I'll have to remember to try that some day.

Beemer

topazsparrow
57 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Sounds good but would it take longer to undo, move out of the way to fuel up and re-strap afterwards? I have a nice back pack like what you described with the cinch straps plus a pocket made to hold a water bladder. Maybe some quick release clips like @gregjet said to put on/take off quicker. Sounds nice for long trips when you need something bigger than a tiny 1 liter bag like mine. I'll have to remember to try that some day.

Not at all, it takes 2 seconds to take off. It's just like putting it over your shoulders except it's on the tank. It's only held on by the shoulder straps and gravity. It doesn't move laterally much and unless you're doing stoppies, it's not going to slide forward or anything.

Anyway, most people already have a backpack, it costs nothing to try and I have yet to find a better solution for long trips. I can fit a whole weeks worth of clothes plus rain gear in there! The water bladder is a nice bonus on long hot trips.

Archived