The MT-07 Forum

Hitch Mounted Motorcycle carriers.

phyciocc

• Premium Member

Hello everyone:
I have not posted in a while. I am hibernating (zzz) (zzz) (zzz)

Outside is a balmy 5 degrees and I have visions of putting the bike on a carrier and moving down to Florida.
I might do that someday (I am 5 years away from being able to retire...), so I looked a bit (nothing else to do, as we are snow bound), and I have found that now there are hitch mounted motorcycle carriers of large capacity
Never saw them before. This one caught my eyes:

Hitch Carrier

It claims a capacity of 600lb (the FZ-09 is 397lb wet). I have a truck...

Does anybody have any experience with these? A regular trailer hitch rated for highway use is easily over $1000 and is much more involved (storing, towing etc).

Thanks!
Marco

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

I'm not familiar with that brand, but I have used one in the past. It worked ok, but there was a little slack in the male/female attachment point so the whole deck rocked some. It was slightly difficult to load then tie it down by myself but not impossible, just have your stap ready. Overall not bad, much easier than loading it in the back of a truck.

Edit: Some electric tape around the male side took up some of the slack.

• Like 1

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

I have used a hitch mounted carrier for a number of years. In general they worked well. On some vehicles that much weight hanging off of the back can make the handling a bit wonky. I always checked my tiedowns at every stop, sometimes would find one would have a little slack. The amount of slack between the carrier and the receiver hitch can vary, one of mine had a much tighter fit than the other. Good idea about the electrical tape. Hope this helps.

• Premium Member

Looks like they work then. Just getting one that is properly designed and well executed. I have seen them range from about $600 down to $130. It makes the notion of transporting the bike on vacation not an insurmountable proposition...
(wheels spinning)
Thank you all!
Marco

I've been looking at one of these devices for myself. I need to install a receiver hitch on my vehicle first, but I'd love to be able to get around transporting my bike on the back of my SUV.

If you end up getting this (or another brand) please post back with a review! I would be very interested to see how one works out for you with our bike.
Thanks!

Your vehicles tend to be bigger than UK ones but likely still worth checking the all up weight
wont be over the permitted axle load, quite a few get pulled for being over weight in the
UK, it's still quite a weight to have hanging so far off the back, remember you are likely
to have other stuff on board not just the bike and carrier.

• Premium Member

I have a 2009 Honda Ridgeline. It has a OEM 2" receiver, rated at a max of 600lb tongue weight and 5000 lb towing (less if the vehicle is loaded). Considering that these carriers are about 100lb by themselves, the max bike weight is about 500 lb (the fz07 is 400lb). I am sure that handling will be affected, but not as much as if you have a big trailer back there.
I might actually get one this spring...
Right now, however, I am looking forward to defrosting...no end in sight: instead of snow, this weekend ice is expected :(
Marco

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an aluminum hitch mounted motorcycle carrier. iti s rated to 400 pounds and I use it for my little Kawasaki KLX140G dirt bike. The Kawa weighs only 209 pounds dry and that is good because my Tacoma has a three inch plus lift and the ramp that came with the carrier is too short and thus very steep. Instead, I lift the front wheel in and then the rear. Getting a MT-07 on the carrier, NFW!

On 5/29/2019 at 2:06 AM, martinbrown1287 said:

can you suggest me a motorcycle carrier that which is best for professional use i have to use that for Lockout Service Queens NY.

I have this black widow rated at 600 lb. Which is the highest rating I've seen. Most aftermarket hitches are rated for 350 lbs or 500 lbs.   Pickup with good suspension required in my opinion, I have air bag helper springs and rides great. LED tail lights from harbor freight.  Added Traction coating on-ramp is helpful.

Added link - https://www.discountramps.com/hitch-mounted-steel-motorcycle-carrier/p/MCC-600/

1296279842_Bikebikecarriers.thumb.jpg.570ce80d7a281a563b89b1eb4da0a59e.jpg

1988771790_Hitchbikeracks.thumb.JPG.1d95dc19e8800c5e0fffadc1e3ab4e76.JPG

Edited by elmo
Added link

How are you liking it so far? I've thought about getting one, I like how they leave the truck bed open for other things like my kayaks and gear but I've been leery about getting one because the rating is so close to the weight of the bike. My fear is that I would hit an unexpected bump or pot-hole too hard and have it either bend or break. 

Beemer

On 6/8/2019 at 8:30 AM, Beemer said:

How are you liking it so far? I've thought about getting one, I like how they leave the truck bed open for other things like my kayaks and gear but I've been leery about getting one because the rating is so close to the weight of the bike. My fear is that I would hit an unexpected bump or pot-hole too hard and have it either bend or break. 

Purchased carrier 3 years ago, only use it for 6-8 track events a year. No issues so far with any deflection or weld failure, including the occasional deep pothole impact. My concern, need the correct vehicle that will handle the tongue weight, near 600lbs. 

1297606650_carrier1.thumb.jpg.e335ba1581e9cd9330240a63725e6874.jpg141783342_carrier2.thumb.jpg.17e52b0443dfe0be81bb742f1f74a0d8.jpg253144675_carrier3.thumb.jpg.07a37dca0cc4618ff38fbc4d0deae28d.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I have the same Amazon 600lb as Elmo. Have used it steady for almost 5 years daily on the back of a minivan with airbags and air shocks. The rack will rock and the collar can come loose, mostly from low ground clearance with my minivan. I added 2 extra reinforcing bars at each end bolted to the frame which made it rock solid. Before that I was running heavy duty straps from the roof to the corners to minimize this which worked well to alleviate rocking.

I also drilled another hole into the hitch insert so that the carrier wouldn't stick out as much and insert further in to minimize lever effect and forces. 

Also ran an FZ6R for two years before I got my Fz07, which is even heavier, and no problems. Class III hitch btw.

IMG_20180222_164520-640x480.jpg

IMG_20180222_164540-640x480.jpg

IMG_20171013_121721-640x480.jpg

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 6/8/2019 at 8:30 AM, Beemer said:

I have the "Black Widow" #600 carrier, but mine has an aluminum main channel for the bike to sit in? I'm TOTALLY happy with it!!! I bought it last winter to get my FZ-07 from Minnesota, to Arizona. For a 1,600 mile journey (in the dead of winter), "failure" wasn't really an option for me.... I couldn't be happier with my choice. I attached it to a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500. The truck "squatted" a bit, but handled it well. I just needed to be aware of it when entering a parking lot with a steeper entrance. Even then, I never had an issue. I'm a happy customer-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of these after a good bit of reading and research.   

http://www.mototote.com/

I put it on an FJ Cruiser . have hauled both a DRZ400 and now my MT07 without issue.

Gone from Wisconsin to Cali on slab.

Truck suspension is definitely something to keep in mind, i'm pushing it with the FJ. the weight of the MT is enough to make steering a bit vague.