The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07? or something else?

phantom27

This is my first post...  Don't have a bike right now, but planning on getting one soon and plan on getting an FZ-07.

So...  I went to my local dealer today (very small town).  I just wanted to sit on an FZ-07...  I know what you all thinking...  You are thinking that I couldn't resist the urge and  I came home with it...  Nope, but I am test riding it tomorrow at lunch...  So anything's possible.

Here's my issue.  I ran into a problem I didn't expect to have.  Competition.  Sitting next to the FZ-07 is a 2013 FZ6R.  Now I'm stuck.  I sat on both bikes and liked them both.  Obviously I'll know more tomorrow when I go riding on them both. 

I totally expected to LOVE the FZ-07...  But now I'm stuck at a crossroads. 

What do you guys think?

Asking a bunch of dudes on an FZ07 forum whether or not they like the FZ07 is probably not going to get you very far.

Boil down for yourself what your necessary must haves are in a bike and buy accordingly.

• Global Moderator

I test rode the FZ6R too. I much prefer the two cylinder characteristics over the four. You really have to wind it out to get the performance of our the four. I think you will have an easy decision one you ride them both. Almost forgot, the 6R is heavy too.

• Global Moderator
I'm an expert and think you should get a Ural.
I totally forgot about the Ural. I would get that for sure. With a sidecar of course :)

I posted in this forum because I joined up a few days ago (I don't belong to any other forums). I was planning on getting an FZ-07. I don't think my plans have changed but you never know.

I did watch some YouTube videos last night. The one by chaseontwowheels was pretty interesting. He just did a first ride on the FZ-07 and really liked it. Then he did another on on the FZ6R and didn't like it much. He even discussed the FZ-07 in the video (saying the FZ6R wasn't as good).

So. For now I'm still undecided but I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the FZ-07.

I'll check in after my test ride at lunch today.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

It depends on if you want to go naked or not.  ;)

Let us know what you think after your test rides.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

You're lucky you get to actually test ride. A lot of dealerships don't do that. You should really enjoy the gobs of torque the FZ-07 has.. and overall everything else as well.

Everything went braap.

Wow. I didn't realize that test riding wasn't a thing. I test rode both of my previous bikes. I just thought it was normal. Like test driving a car. But... I do live in a small town where everyone knows me. The manager at the dealership sold me my last bike so he is comfortable with me. I don't know if they normally allow test riding or not.

Hell yeah, and a farting Bulldog with goggles and a lil helmet to ride in the side car.  
Did you know that Ural's are two wheel drive?
It's selective 2 wheel drive. You can switch it on and off. Haha Pretty neat if you ask me. As far as this dilemma goes, you just have to ride them. I'm sure some like the FZ6R over the 07, but the 07 definitely is more of a street bike with all that low-end torque. For me it is a no-brainer, FZ-07. However if it were between the 07 and a drastically reduced price FZ8, I would have more of an issue deciding.

Plot twist , there isn't anything else.

Just kidding. I say for the price this bike is the best.

The FZ6R just looks funny haha.IMO that is all.

Ok, here's the results.  

I went and rode the 2015 Rapid Red FZ-07.  Loved it.  Light, nimble, quick, comfortable, great low end torque, etc, etc...  Then I hit 80 mph and was just about blown off the bike.  I'm thinking that a wind screen is a MUST have mod.  Anyway...  I loved it.  It was great.  A lot of guys have complained about the suspension and I just didn't notice that.  I'm a little over 250 lbs though, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I also didn't get to take it into the twisty corners or anything.  I did have a few negatives:
[ul type=disc][*]Needs a wind screen (obviously)[*]The back brake felt a little.... soft? mushy? Not a big deal, the front break felt great though. [*]The mirrors.  I couldn't get them adjusted so I could see behind me.  My arms were always in the way.  I'm a pretty heavyset guy so that's probably why.  I would need extenders or something so I could see behind me without having to drop my arm or move my body to the side of the bike.[*]I hate where the key is.  It just seems like a strange place for it.[*]The red looked nice but only the tank is red.  There needs to be more red on the bike to 'tie' it together.  It kind of just looks like a red tank slapped on a black bike.[/ul]
All in all I loved the bike and would be 100% happy with the FZ-07.

Then I rode the 2013 Blue FZ6R.  It felt VERY similar.  In some ways it was more comfortable (body position is slightly more bent over) but the seat isn't quite as nice.  The windscreen/fairing was nice at 80+ mph.  One thing I wasn't expecting was that it felt a little better in the turn.  I think it might have been because the back tire is a little narrower.  I wasn't able to go to a real twisty part of road but did hit a couple curves.  

There were a few negatives though:

[ul type=disc][*]I didn't like the display compared to the FZ-07 (the gear indicator on the FZ-07 is really nice!)[*]The display also just seems to be at the wrong angle to really be seen right.[*]I just don't like the 'look' of the FZ6R as much as the naked look of the FZ-07.[*]Not nearly as nimble as the FZ-07.[*]It was WAY heavier! (In all fairness it had a full tank and the FZ-07 was on fumes).
[*]Back brake was soft and mushy like the FZ-07 but the front break felt nice.
[*]Throttle didn't have a nice liner torque curve like the FZ-07.  I didn't like the engine as much.  It didn't really feel underpowered or even less power than the FZ-07 but something was different, and not as nice (I don't really know how to explain it).[/ul][div]
All in all, I liked it more than I expected I would.  I would be happy with the FZ6R.

Final Thoughts:

I think I would be happy with either bike.  I will probably go with the FZ-07 because it looks like it already has a larger following and community than the FZ6R does.  It's also a naked bike so should be MUCH easier to work on.  I'm not a mechanic but I think I can figure out how to do some mods and change oil and stuff.  With the FZ6R it just looks like you have to have a degree just to figure out how to do some basic maintenance.  I don't want to have to take it in for every little thing.  I want to learn to do it on my own.

All in all, it was a great day (even though it was 45 degrees when I rode)!  It felt great to be back on a bike![/div]

• Premium Member

The 07 is really easy to work on. Everything for the most part is pretty simple and straightforward. So if you're inclined, you'll find most tasks aren't difficult to perform.

What helmet do you use? I upgraded to a better, more aerodynamic helmet and that really improved my riding experience. That said, 70 mph I consider all day cruising speed. Any speed above that and I get exponentially more fatigued. I'm a bit smaller than you though.

Several members have installed touring/taller screens to pretty good effect. About a $100-150 accessory. I have the OEM flyscreen and can say it's only for looks and to keep the key area protected.

Good luck with your decision!

Everything went braap.

I installed the Givi windscreen, which I purchased from RevZilla. I find it is a nicely functional screen without looking out of place on the FZ-07.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Thanks guys. I won't be able to buy it for a few months but when I am ready I'm pretty sure that I'll get the FZ-07. I'm sure I'll have the windscreen ordered the same day. Or maybe already purchased.

What helmet do you use? I upgraded to a better, more aerodynamic helmet and that really improved my riding experience. That said, 70 mph I consider all day cruising speed. Any speed above that and I get exponentially more fatigued. I'm a bit smaller than you though.

I use a Gmax 69S (I think).

• Premium Member

I use a Gmax 69S (I think).

The reviews didn't look like many people complained about wind resistance, so an upgrade may or may not benefit much in the area of stability. Most reviewers looked to be riders of faired bikes however.

Everything went braap.

Ok, here's the results.   
I went and rode the 2015 Rapid Red FZ-07.  Loved it.  Light, nimble, quick, comfortable, great low end torque, etc, etc...  Then I hit 80 mph and was just about blown off the bike.  I'm thinking that a wind screen is a MUST have mod.  Anyway...  I loved it.  It was great.  A lot of guys have complained about the suspension and I just didn't notice that.  I'm a little over 250 lbs though, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I also didn't get to take it into the twisty corners or anything.  I did have a few negatives:
[ul type=disc][*]Needs a wind screen (obviously)[*]The back brake felt a little.... soft? mushy? Not a big deal, the front break felt great though. [*]The mirrors.  I couldn't get them adjusted so I could see behind me.  My arms were always in the way.  I'm a pretty heavyset guy so that's probably why.  I would need extenders or something so I could see behind me without having to drop my arm or move my body to the side of the bike.[*]I hate where the key is.  It just seems like a strange place for it.[*]The red looked nice but only the tank is red.  There needs to be more red on the bike to 'tie' it together.  It kind of just looks like a red tank slapped on a black bike.[/ul]
All in all I loved the bike and would be 100% happy with the FZ-07.

Then I rode the 2013 Blue FZ6R.  It felt VERY similar.  In some ways it was more comfortable (body position is slightly more bent over) but the seat isn't quite as nice.  The windscreen/fairing was nice at 80+ mph.  One thing I wasn't expecting was that it felt a little better in the turn.  I think it might have been because the back tire is a little narrower.  I wasn't able to go to a real twisty part of road but did hit a couple curves.  

There were a few negatives though:

[ul type=disc][*]I didn't like the display compared to the FZ-07 (the gear indicator on the FZ-07 is really nice!)[*]The display also just seems to be at the wrong angle to really be seen right.[*]I just don't like the 'look' of the FZ6R as much as the naked look of the FZ-07.[*]Not nearly as nimble as the FZ-07.[*]It was WAY heavier! (In all fairness it had a full tank and the FZ-07 was on fumes).
[*]Back brake was soft and mushy like the FZ-07 but the front break felt nice.
[*]Throttle didn't have a nice liner torque curve like the FZ-07.  I didn't like the engine as much.  It didn't really feel underpowered or even less power than the FZ-07 but something was different, and not as nice (I don't really know how to explain it).[/ul][div]
All in all, I liked it more than I expected I would.  I would be happy with the FZ6R.

Final Thoughts:

I think I would be happy with either bike.  I will probably go with the FZ-07 because it looks like it already has a larger following and community than the FZ6R does.  It's also a naked bike so should be MUCH easier to work on.  I'm not a mechanic but I think I can figure out how to do some mods and change oil and stuff.  With the FZ6R it just looks like you have to have a degree just to figure out how to do some basic maintenance.  I don't want to have to take it in for every little thing.  I want to learn to do it on my own.

All in all, it was a great day (even though it was 45 degrees when I rode)!  It felt great to be back on a bike![/div]

You weigh in the same range as me. When I rode test rode the FZ-09, I also didn't understand the suspension complaints by both readers and every single magazine writer. And then the snow melted and i went riding up in the mountains and hit the corners at speed, hit a bump and the front end kicked out on a corner doing 55mph. I came within inches of a car coming the other direction.

The reason it didn't feel bad at first is that at 260 lbs, my damn suspension was actually almost fully compressed. And, the FZ-07 suspension is slightly worse than the FZ-09.

The first thing any reputable motorcycle safety training traine will tell you is to set the sag on your bike. IT is the first thing that most riders do when they first get their bikes. On the FZ-09 and FZ-07, it is impossible to set sag with the lack of adjustments.

Wonderful bikes, but looking at the low price points of ea bike, they skimped on suspension in order to get to such a low price, knowing that anyone who hauls ass on bikes will enhance their suspensions for their weight and riding style anyways.

No big deal to me, as I add weight appropriate springs and dampening to any bike that I buy.

Wow.... Great comment admin!! Ok. So I know NOTHING about suspension. I didn't know most are adjustable and I didn't know the FZ-07 was not. You mentioned weight appropriate springs and dampening. I'm guessing I need to budget to add that right away when I buy the bike. How much (roughly) is that? Where do I get the parts? Can I do it myself?

Guest daufcguy

Dude, the fz-07 is a sweet bike, when I sat on one for the first time at the long beach motorcycle show, I was immediately impressed by the comfort and how planted it was. plus you got this great fz brotherhood: FZ-07, FZ-09 and now FJ-09, thats got to be worth something.

I was really interested in a Ducati Monster 796. I love the sound of a V-Twin, though a triple is nicer than an inline 4.
Well, in my area a left over Ducati is $8300 Vs the $6300 for the FZ-01 (both before taxes/tags/title) Then you have to check the valves every 7500mi on the ducati vs 25,000mi on the FZ-07 (I believe)
So really it wasn't hard for me to sway towards the Yamaha (the 09 just has more power than I need).
Hope to pick one up after Easter. Getting the down payment, exhaust, windshield, and suspension money ready now.

Guest daufcguy

yeah, i've never owned a duc but you hear enough people say they have a lot of maintenance and are expensive to maintain and you can't help to believe it (not that i'm ducati bashing, all bikes are beautiful)

Archived