The MT-07 Forum

Starting problem

GaiusDJesse

Hi, I have about 2400 miles on my bike. This problem began after 1000 miles and has happened about five times since. When I start my bike it won't start on first try, it will start on the second or third try but the engine kicks in so weakly as though it is struggling to start. Today, I cleaned up my chain and lubed it up then I tried to turn on my bike and it wouldn't start. I held down the switch for about six seconds until it finally kicked in, but it sounded like it was struggling a lot. What can this be? I changed the oil at 600 miles and 1000 as well as the oil filter. I've kept up with maintenance except for the air filter, could it be the air filter? 

• Global Moderator

It sounds like it is possibly a weak battery. Do you keep it on a battery tender if it will be sitting for awhile between rides? You can get a battery tender for about forty bucks.

I have a float charger but I'll test out the battery. It did begin after I got the recall done on it. I don't if that could have anything to do with it, maybe a terminal could have been left loose. I'll check on that.

Well, just after the recall is not a coincidence.

Because the battery posts are soft (they used to be lead or some alloy of it) even if the leads were put on by a gorilla when new, the posts will crush a bit and those lugs can and will come loose. Also, because the connection at the starter relay was changed, you should also check both (only one was messed with of course, but check 'em both) of those connections as well.

The one place people completely forget to keep up with is the connection that gets the most filth. And that's the one at the starter motor. I've seen clean looking hardware on that lug only to find some corrosion where all the parts touch - where it can't be seen until the nut, washer and lug are removed.

Own a 1000cc Italian twin, and you'll learn all manner of new tricks.

Archived