The MT-07 Forum

Ready to pull the trigger soon -- but now I'm torn

so1102

• Premium Member

I've joined this forum, read all the topics, and done a metric crap-ton of research.  I think I am ready to finally make a purchase of an FZ-07.

...and then a very experienced riding buddy points out the fact that for the same price as an 07 with the ultimately necessary suspension upgrades I could get a 2015 BMW F800R.  

I've always coveted a bimmer, and up until this year I've felt the F800R was pretty fugly, but this year they updated the headlight and other items and now they've corrected all of those issues.

Obviously I won't spend the cash until I've ridden both, but I want your opinions -- please talk me off the ledge.

(* FTR, I do this with restaurants too -- I agonize over a decision of what to eat, then after I finally order something, invariably someone else's food looks better when brought to the table -- it's a sickness, I know)

Guest whitegas

If at all possible, try to ride both. My favorite thing about the fz07 is riding it, not what it looks like (that comes in a close second) or what brand it is.

• Global Moderator

The BMW looks like a nice bike but it is three grand more. I have a friend with a Street Triple (about the same price as the BNW) and he loves it but is looking at upgrading his suspension. You may end up spending money on the suspension either way.

And BMW's tend to go tits up alot and when they do, BMW is famous for not fixing the issues. There are about 10,000 posts on this subject at ADVrider.com.

Don't believe me? Read this http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/popular/consumer-reports-motorcycle-reliability/

And this http://www.businessinsider.com/harley-davidson-reliability-issues-2014-2

Quote:Yamaha was cited as the most reliable motorcycle brand, BMW the least reliable, and Harley-Davidson next to BMW in reliability issues.

But hey, if ya wanna pay more for a bike that is less reliable than a Yamaha, knock yourself out.

BMW's and Harleys. Unreliable but people buy them to say "Hey, I have a ........

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I've heard that a major complaint of BMW riders is having to talk to other BMW riders.

Besides, the exhaust on the F800R is still big and ugly.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

The FZ07 is everything I need and more.
That BMW looks kinda funky.
Get off the ledge!!

You came to an FZ-07 forum to get talked off the ledge. Somewhere in your mind, you want the Yamaha more.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

• Premium Member
I've heard that a major complaint of BMW riders is having to talk to other BMW riders. 

LOL that's a great point :)

• Premium Member
And BMW's tend to go tits up alot and when they do, BMW is famous for not fixing the issues. There are about 10,000 posts on this subject at ADVrider.com.  

Quote:Yamaha was cited as the most reliable motorcycle brand, BMW the least reliable, and Harley-Davidson next to BMW in reliability issues.

Thanks! This actually helps quite a bit. I was unaware of the unreliability issues -- I just assumed "German engineering" and all...

i just traded in a bmw bike after 8 months of ownership took a bath, but happy to see it go loved the bike but when something goes wrong you cant get parts and the dealers don't care and bmw is even worse my bike was layed up last year for a month for an oil seal which is why I purchased my fz-07 so thanks bmwI absolutely loved the bike but I know that it was going to eat the timing chain but every time I took it to the dealer they told me its normal sound and besides if it does brake its under warranty at that point I would likely loose it for the seasonno thanks the dealers just look at you like, duh what did you expect besides how could you buy a bmw bike without it being the new r1200rfricken beautiful bike but they can keep it also it looks like an fz07good luck on your decisions

• Premium Member

I had a similar situation as you, except I was deciding between one of the the Honda 500 models which are cheaper by a little over a $1,000. Plus, the sticker price on the FZ-07 was more than $1,500 the the Honda models! I rode both bikes and they fit me well, but the Yamaha dealer made the price difference a lot less, so I went with the FZ-07. I'm not looking at any suspension or exhaust upgrades, but I do have the Madstad shield, rear rack, and sliders. You'll probably add some kind of extras to a BMW.

Plus, what's the weight difference between the 07 and the BMW? I usually push my bike up a fairly steep driveway, and it doesn't seem any harder to push the 07 than my former Honda 250. I love looking at BMW's, but I'm happy with the 07. You'll have to make your own decision.

Good luck, and send pics when you're done.

• Premium Member

All you really need for a slick suspension would be the emulator kit amd a shock revalve/respring. That ought to run 600-800 bones.

The BMW runs around 10k? I couldn't find an exact price.

Maybe the BMW will grant you the ultra powers to complain as much as Ewan McGreggor on his bike tour, riding a much fancier BMW.

That's gotta be worth somethin'. ;)

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

so1102 I have to laugh at your post, we must be related. Two weeks ago I pulled the trigger on the 07 and it is a great bike and I have no regrets.
As far as reliability ..... I was having the suspension done last year on my Husqvarna TE449 by a famous racer. When I asked him about motor issues on my bike, he said "are you kidding, these things are bullet proof, just like a YAMAHA!"
My first Yamaha was a 1968 100cc twin (yeah I am that old). I have never regretted a Yamaha.

Archived