The MT-07 Forum

Cleaning Wheels - Recommendations?

wingnutted

I'm up in the rainy PNW, and am having a tough time getting wheels clean, specifically the rear. The front cleans up great with just water and clean shop rags, but the chain lube, dirt, etc is making the rear one a pain.

It seems like a fair number of people use plain old WD-40, some others have been talking about Meguiars Hot Rims cleaner.

Thoughts / feedback? What do you all use?

Mods - if this is duplicated anywhere else, please link? I haven't really been able to find much...

I use sonax wheel cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDOCWMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use a speed master speed brush to agitate
http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

Also use a lug nut brush
http://www.autogeek.net/lug-nut-brush.html

I applied paint sealant to my wheels to help make cleaning faster
http://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss.html

I used bar keepers friend but I keep it up with Wurth quick spray detailer.
I've heard wd40 works wonders.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• Global Moderator

I have been using Napa engine degreaser because I had some in the garage. It seems to work well.

• 1 year later...

old post, i know, but I'd use hot soapy water and just let the supper bubbly or foamy stuff marinate in the wheel for a while. then reapply after a little while since hot water evaporates quickly. Essentially a touchless wash. Then once you go in there with an old microfiber towel it should clean right up without putting harsh chemicals in the paint. Afterwards, just toss FS-365 (or WD-40 or something similar) on a clean rag and wipe THE WHEEL ONLY, NOT THE TIRE. This preventative maintenance will keep the bike clean underneath all the crap so that you can just wash it off later.
NOTE: it's better to use warm water instead of hot water for other things that you don't want to remove the grease from, like the chain,cables,etc. Then if you just follow that last step it's just a matter of washing it with regular old water out the hose!

elbow grease.. if you got the Flour yellow.. then God help you.. I think I am 10x more fit in shoulders and arms after owning these color scheme.

I use blasic Silcone Spray it keeps 99% off the rims by beading up rain but it only works 2-3 days max in rainy days. I also clean with light soap in the wheels to break up grease.

elbow grease.. if you got the Flour yellow.. then God help you.. I think I am 10x more fit in shoulders and arms after owning these color scheme.

I use blasic Silcone Spray it keeps 99% off the rims by beading up rain but it only works 2-3 days max in rainy days. I also clean with light soap in the wheels to break up grease.

• Premium Member

I just lubed my chain yesterday and wiped down the rear rim with kerosene and a rag. Worked great. No effort required.
I keep some kerosene around for chain cleaning, rim cleaning, general grease removal.

Why can't left turners see us?

I just lubed my chain yesterday and wiped down the rear rim with kerosene and a rag. Worked great. No effort required. I keep some kerosene around for chain cleaning, rim cleaning, general grease removal.

Yep, leaves a nice shine too.

What would you use if you had vinyls on your rims?
If I had vinyls on my rims I would either use warm soap and water from a bucket and a mild pressure rinse or stand further back with a pressure wand to clean them.

Beemer

What would you use if you had vinyls on your rims?
If I had vinyls on my rims I would either use warm soap and water from a bucket and a mild pressure rinse or stand further back with a pressure wand to clean them.

Yep, I'm avoiding specific products for rim cleaning just in case. ✌️️

Safe riding!

• Premium Member

I use Motul chain lube and it get on everything an is sticky but it works good IMO to clean off the wheel I use the motul cleaner to get it off, I just spray a little coat on and it wipes right off.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 4 months later...

I have night fluo rims, degreaser then quickly soap and thorough wash with water, no elbow grease needed and they come up spotless ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I use chain wax so there's less fling on the rear wheel but there is always some. Comes off with elbow grease.

I wax the bike with liquid car wax every month or two. So I wax the wheels too. Helps get the brake dust off faster with just water and a rag. Still builds up like you wouldn't believe. Nothing seems to "keep" them cleanexcept frequent cleaning. The longer you put it off the longer it will take to get them sparkling again...

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Archived