The MT-07 Forum

ABS?

so1102

Honestly this argument has been beaten to death but it is my opinion that anyone bashing abs for the sake of "taking away the purity of the ride"(or bashing for any reason really) is full of it. A decent ABS system will only intervene under the hardest of braking forces - only when the rider has applied sufficient braking force to break the tires loose. I really don't care that you can successfully brake from high speed to zero without dumping the bike. In a true emergency situation you will not know that it is coming, you might not be going perfectly straight, the road conditions might be less than optimal, etc. etc. Just because you have been riding for a long time and you have been riding without it for years is a shet excuse. ABS is only there to save your ass, having it does not force you to rely on it every time you come to a red light. People saying they can outbreak an ABS system are idiots. You can't, period.

The Europe vs. U.S. issue is also a bit maddening. For whatever reason in the ole U.S. of A. motorcycles are treated as recreational vehicles, while in Europe they are treated as a proper mode of transportation. Hence why ABS is mandatory over there. Seems completely dumb, I know plenty of people, myself included, that commute and use their bikes for transit more than cars. If the FZ had ABS available in the states I would have gotten it without question. Extra weight? Please. Eat a couple less cheeseburgers this week and you're already on your way to nullifying that difference.

EDIT: spelling is hard

Honestly this argument has been beaten to death but it is my opinion that anyone bashing abs for the sake of "taking away the purity of the ride"(or bashing for any reason really) is full of it. A decent ABS system will only intervene under the hardest of braking forces - only when the rider has applied sufficient braking force to break the tires loose. I really don't care that you can successfully brake from high speed to zero without dumping the bike. In a true emergency situation you will not know that it is coming, you might not be going perfectly straight, the road conditions might be less than optimal, etc. etc. Just because you have been riding for a long time and you have been riding without it for years is a shet excuse. ABS is only there to save your ass, having it does not force you to rely on it every time you come to a red light. People saying they can outbreak an ABS system are idiots. You can't, period.  
The Europe vs. U.S. issue is also a bit maddening. For whatever reason in the ole U.S. of A. motorcycles are treated as recreational vehicles, while in Europe they are treated as a proper mode of transportation. Hence why ABS is mandatory over there. Seems completely dumb, I know plenty of people, myself included, that commute and use their bikes for transit more than cars. If the FZ had ABS available in the states I would have gotten it without question. Extra weight? Please. Eat a couple less cheeseburgers this week and you're already on your way to nullifying that difference.

Exactly this. And lets not forget that no matter how much someone would like to think they could, a human IS NOT going to out perform a computer.

I agree about the whole mentality of recreation. I've ridden the last 5 years all year. Rain, hail, snow, ice, tropical storms, and hurricanes. Why? Because it is cheaper than a car.

One can site about and think all day "hur de durr I can brake the best". Yea, sure, you might be good in ideal conditions, but in less your on the track there is no such thing.

If your braking with enough force to trigger ABS in the first place you're braking too hard as the system doesn't enable until you've lost traction.

And don't even get me started on the people that say it gives you a false sense of security. Name me a single time you've EVER used an ABS equipped vehicle and thought to yourself "la de da I have ABS I feel so safe and cozy and will just slam on my brakes because I have ABS and the ABS I have makes me feel safer because I have ABS."

This DOES NOT happen. You don't even know it exists until it saves your ass.

As far as off roading, well there is argument to be had there that a toggleable ABS would be preferred. And that is cool with me. But one shouldn't be mad when a bike that is for street use, and a cheap one at that, doesn't have toggleable system.

Exactly this. And lets not forget that no matter how much someone would like to think they could, a human IS NOT going to out perform a computer.  
I agree about the whole mentality of recreation. I've ridden the last 5 years all year. Rain, hail, snow, ice, tropical storms, and hurricanes. Why? Because it is cheaper than a car.

One can site about and think all day "hur de durr I can brake the best". Yea, sure, you might be good in ideal conditions, but in less your on the track there is no such thing.

If your braking with enough force to trigger ABS in the first place you're braking too hard as the system doesn't enable until you've lost traction.

And don't even get me started on the people that say it gives you a false sense of security. Name me a single time you've EVER used an ABS equipped vehicle and thought to yourself "la de da I have ABS I feel so safe and cozy and will just slam on my brakes because I have ABS and the ABS I have makes me feel safer because I have ABS."

This DOES NOT happen. You don't even know it exists until it saves your ass.

As far as off roading, well there is argument to be had there that a toggleable ABS would be preferred. And that is cool with me. But one shouldn't be mad when a bike that is for street use, and a cheap one at that, doesn't have toggleable system.

I agree in all points... That's why cars have got ABS... Or would you purchase a car without it...? 

Safe riding!

Archived