The MT-07 Forum

ABS?

so1102

• Premium Member

I just noticed that our friends across the pond can buy a 2015 MT-07 with ABS.  Does that mean we can possibly see this as an option in the 2016 model year, perhaps?  A retrofit kit would be nice as well.  I don't need ABS, but it would be a little extra peace of mind if available.

I just noticed that our friends across the pond can buy a 2015 MT-07 with ABS.  Does that mean we can possibly see this as an option in the 2016 model year, perhaps?  A retrofit kit would be nice as well.  I don't need ABS, but it would be a little extra peace of mind if available.
ABS will be made compulsory on motorcycles above 125cc from 2016 in Europe??? [url=]http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/motorcycle-abs-compulsory-from-2016/21856.html[/url]

On the Yamaha MT07 Euro model. It adds 3Kg in weight. And is non-switchable............. so not a good idea in my mind! I am old school............ never needed it before!
Originally ordered a non-abs model, but got offered an abs model that someone cancelled their order (same money).
Remember ABS adds weight and cost, an additional £300 in the UK :'(

Mont

Would not even think about a retro fit cheaper to px for a ABS one,
all ABS set-ups are not created equal and I gather there have been
complaints about the 07 one, but I would think it's a personal thing
if you like it or not.

So I know what they say the benefits of abs are but, I was Just wondering for those against abs what are the benefits of running with it?

So I know what they say the benefits of abs are but, I was Just wondering for those against abs what are the benefits of running with it?
Gives a false sense of security to an inexperienced rider! Adds 3kg to overall weight of bike!
More to go wrong...... etc etc! :'(

Every one is different and If you feel better with ABS then go for it,
be aware it cant change the laws of nature though and expect it to save
impossible situations, don't rely on it that will only end in expense pain
and suffering.

My opinion is that I simply learned to ride without it (it wasn't even on cars at the time) and I feel I don't want or need it.
I do not miss it.

Well, it prevents locking the brake.

That's the only benefit, but you asked for benefits, yes?

I like my FZ without.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I like my FZ without.

Just realized the typo sorry, but yea I meant what are the benifits of riding without. This is my first bike and everything I rode before didn't have abs so I don't even know what it feels like On a motorcycle. They do come in handy on my suv during the snow though.

• Premium Member

Again like anything else it is not entirely necessary, but if you aren't 100% certain in your abilities to properly modulate your front brake in an emergency situation (and how many of us actively practice quick stops on a regular basis?), an ABS setup can help keep you from highsiding when the unexpected occurs.

I've not ridden anything with ABS either, but I can see its appeal from a safety standpoint.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

IMO safety goes out the door when you need lock up the back tire on gravel or sand and the dang ABS just lets you keep on rolling...into a hazard. I truly believe that it is an unsafe feature on motorcycles with those few exceptions of only riding in the city without ever seeing dirt or gravel. I've been in a car accident where the ABS didn't even do it's job when it was supposed to and allowed me to slam into the fuel tanks of a big rig. Useless, just useless to me.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

IMO safety goes out the door when you need lock up the back tire on gravel or sand and the dang ABS just lets you keep on rolling...into a hazard. I truly believe that it is an unsafe feature on motorcycles with those few exceptions of only riding in the city without ever seeing dirt or gravel. I've been in a car accident where the ABS didn't even do it's job when it was supposed to and allowed me to slam into the fuel tanks of a big rig. Useless, just useless to me.

Ok I always heard people not use it for dirt and that makes sense. You need to lock up the wheels on dirt cause Its slick. Still learning everyday lol

scordiaboy515

I like my FZ without.
   that's where the fingers come in....and how intuitive one is to what the bike is doing underneath you.....race bikes don't use it so that's good enough for me. 

• 1 year later...

Anyone know if it would be possible to purchase the European ABS parts to install on a US fz07?

I like my FZ without.
Just realized the typo sorry, but yea I meant what are the benifits of riding without. This is my first bike and everything I rode before didn't have abs so I don't even know what it feels like On a motorcycle. They do come in handy on my suv during the snow though.
All I'm going to say is it's better to have had experience with locking up regular brakes and knowing how to use them in a fix before you ever go straight to ABS brakes because if you've never used regular brakes and your ABS goes out you will suddenly be left with regular brakes. If you freak out and freeze up when they happen to lock up you may be in for an unpleasant surprise. 

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Anyone know if it would be possible to purchase the European ABS parts to install on a US fz07?

While it might be technicality possible it would be very expensive with the sensors and electronics needed. I also do nit know if you need any ECU modifications. I would not want to mess with something as important as brakes as the possibility of doing something wrong and ending up in a situation where you have no brakes is a real threat.

Riding styles in the US vs Europe are very different. Most US riders will ride when the weather is nice and dry. European riders ride everyday, shine or rain, this explains a more important need for ABS in Europe and certainly not a popular option in the US.

• Premium Member

After years and years of riding dirt bikes before road bikes, I prefer to not have ABS... I wanna feel the behavior of the tires on the road when I'm having my potential shyt gone wrong moment...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

After years and years of riding dirt bikes before road bikes, I prefer to not have ABS... I wanna feel the behavior of the tires on the road when I'm having my potential shyt gone wrong moment...
Agreed! I want to feel the sensation the tires are feeding back to me, not the pulsating sensation from the brakes.

Beemer

• 2 months later...
Riding styles in the US vs Europe are very different. Most US riders will ride when the weather is nice and dry. European riders ride everyday, shine or rain, this explains a more important need for ABS in Europe and certainly not a popular option in the US.
BEST COMMENT in the thread... riders from USA, see ABS as an unnecessary thing.. but for ppl who wants a Bike with enough power to ride at highways while being able to use it as daily commuter to work.. in a city full of mad drivers and where raining season takes half of the year away... u have to look out in another direction from FZ-07 or beg to YAMAHA to introduce ABS at least as an option.. :(

BEST COMMENT in the thread... riders from USA, see ABS as an unnecessary thing.. but for ppl who wants a Bike with enough power to ride at highways while being able to use it as daily commuter to work.. in a city full of mad drivers and where raining season takes half of the year away... u have to look out in another direction from FZ-07 or beg to YAMAHA to introduce ABS at least as an option.. :(
Totally agree - I come from Europe, it is mandatory to sell ABS bikes (if you see any, this is the adapting period EU gives brands to sell the existing units without ABS) - and this is for safety reasons. I'd go with ABS if possible, if only Yamaha US would bring it here... And at least make it optional!

Safe riding!

In the end I agree that ABS can be beneficial but for me I would only want it on the front. I want to be able to lock up my rear tire so that I can sling the rear end in the direction I want it to go in an emergency stop.

Beemer

pineappleunderthesea

The benefit of ABS for me is seen in videos where the rider grabs a handful of brake to avoid hitting a car and ends up lifting the rear of the bike and topples over. This would not happen with ABS, and since all tires remain on the ground you would slow down a bit more before hitting the object, or maybe be able to avoid it altogether since wheels don't lock and you can still somewhat turn.

Archived