The MT-07 Forum

How much fuel remains when the light starts blinking?

fairorth

• Premium Member

Man I was under the impression that I had 5 miles or so before I ran out of gas when the blinking started...Now I don't have to refuel so often then..

according to the manual, the "reserve" light comes on at 0.7 gallons.

Panic only well out in the boonies as ya got a good 35 miles before sucking fumes.

65mpg is really hard to adjust to. lol

Damn, most of the MPG averages I've read on here are a good 10mpg above what I've been averaging. o_0  
I'm doing around 45mpg. I can't seem to stay off the throttle for more than 10 minutes.
I think the name "fzhooligan" pretty much sums up your fuel consumption average! But what the heck, if you wanted high mpg you'd have bought a moped. :)
... and called himself something like, Geezergan or Droolagan.

Beemer

I think that shutting it down right away and pouring a half gallon of fuel heading to the nearest gas station would be acceptable. I mean people run out of fuel every day and the restart is fine with no after effects. ?
Exactly. It's more about people who just don't know better who try cranking their car over and over again or leave their ignition on while they try to "diagnose" the problem but don't realize that during this entire process their pump is probably still running and none too happy about it.
Thank you! If running out of gas immediately hurt every fuel pump that ever stopped pumping gas they would use a different design but no, you don't want to keep cranking on it or else you will hurt it somehow.

Beemer

http://www.fuelpumps.com/why-fuel-pumps-fail-ezp-7.html " By running on a low gas tank, the fuel in the gas tank heats up a lot quicker causing the fuel pump to overheat or even worse, run dry."

Can find the same advice anywhere. With very little fuel in the tank - and let's face, there's not much in there to begin with, the pump will get hotter when the tank is very low. Fuel pumps in these tanks look like little toys.

never said it would die immediately - hell, Mobil 1 and others will claim a motor will run for hours after their synth oils are dumped out. It's not anyone is gonna try this.

Anyone know anyone who's owned a KTM Duke or SuperDuke. i bet you know someone who's replaced fuel pumps .

I'm not too worried about it, regardless. I've never ran out of gas and have always made it to a gas station on reserve without a pump ever going bad. If one does, so be it. I will adapt and overcome.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

In California. Fuel mileage sucked coming out here. Depending on how strong the wind was I was seeing a bar drop off ever 25 miles or so. averaged 120 miles per tank. I did bring reserve fuel with me just in case, but never had to use it. Dipped into the flashing bar twice on the ride out, after brimming found i used close to max. 3.5 gals one fill up, and 3.6 the next. Im curious how you Californians can afford gas. 2.69 in PHX for premium gas when I left. 4.05 per gal here in LA.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

save yerself a little money. this thing will run just fine on 87 octane. that's what the owner's manuul calls for

Archived