The MT-07 Forum

LED Headlight kit coming soon

Cruizin

FYI, I'm working on a plug and play headlight kit for you! This kit will be around 3800 lumens and so much brighter than stock. Plug and play, LED kits that draw less power than stock and alot less than HID but very very bright.

This will not be Chinese junk like most of the stuff you see for sale, we are talking Cree here.

Stay tuned, I will post an update when testing is done. Pricing will be affordable!

Awesome! I put in LED headlight this past weekend, it made a big difference. Looking forward to seeing pictures / update on testing!

Photo looks good, but the first review will really tell the story. I went with a $35 kit from eBay and it is much brighter than the stock bulb but messes with the light spread and I'm not sure I get much more throw when it's on high. The one place that I do notice the gain on it though is the fact that the hi-beam doesnt shut off the lo-beam - hence I don't have a 10ft gap in front of my tire that isn't illuminated when i have my brights on. I'm looking forward to seeing how this bulb works with the stock reflector, the above shot looks like it plays nicely.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Awesome! Plug and play, even better! I need an upgrade because it's so easy to override the stock headlight but I've been intimidated by talk of the fan in back not being quite right when some members have tried to upgrade. Would someone please educate me on the difference between the stock bulb, HID and LED and the benefits of each?

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Awesome! Plug and play, even better! I need an upgrade because it's so easy to override the stock headlight but I've been intimidated by talk of the fan in back not being quite right when some members have tried to upgrade. Would someone please educate me on the difference between the stock bulb, HID and LED and the benefits of each?

Stock Bulb: electric current through a metallic filament (tungsten). The filament gets hot, it glows, light comes out. Want more light? Use more current, filament gets hotter, last much less. Not very efficient: most of the energy is wasted in heat. To see what I mean, light up a regular incandescent light bulb. You will not be able to touch it without burning yourself. Mature (some say overripe) technology. Cheap!

HID: High Intensity Discharge: still has an electrode made of Tungsten but the main difference is that, in HID, the light is coming from electrons exciting gas and emitting light (Arc Light). Loosely speaking, HID is lightning in a bulb...More efficient that a regular light bulb, as all the energy in the discharge is light that we can see, and not much goes into heat. Requires HIGH voltage to come on (the arc discharge has to be started), and that's why they "don't like" it if you turn them on and off quickly.... Expensive, not as reliable as regular and LED bulbs. I think that its automotive use window is closing.

Led: Light emitting diode. There are no mowing part, no high temperature discharge, only current going trough a piece of Silicon and other impurities. Through a mechanism called recombination,some of the energy passing through is emitted as visible light. The process is highly efficient, and there is no material being consumed. LED run fairly cool (compared to regular light bulbs and HID) and unless too much current is passed through them, they will last a LOOOOng time. The fan in the back of the LED kit is to keep them cool, as they are operating near the max current they can handle. If they get too hot, they melt. LED are very efficient, and basically most the energy is converted into light. They are not "bulbs" in the classic sense (there is no glass enclosure to break): just a chip with appropriate wiring and cooling.
Up to too long ago, LED could not produce enough light to be feasible in motor vehicles application, but things have changed. In five years, all cars (and our homes) will use LED lights.

Aren't you sorry you asked? :o

Marco

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

Ok, the LED unit will be made by Cyclops LED and it is fantastic. Stronger output than others in that price point and also it will have a fan to keep things cool.

Will post more updates when we are ready to take preorders.

fooschnickens
Ok, the LED unit will be made by Cyclops LED and it is fantastic. Stronger output than others in that price point and also it will have a fan to keep things cool.  
How will it differ from the one they currently sell? Specific fitment/design for our bikes? 

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Looking forward to it!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted them about this.....here is their response.

HI

we have been selling thousands of the new H4 bulb, it does fit the fz-07 well, unfortunately we sold out last night. the back order list will start growing today. Your welcome to come down to the shop and get setup, we should have stock again in a few weeks.
Regards

So what is different about the one Cruizin is talking about?  On a side note.....I hate it when a company representative is not capable of sending out a professional email.  

fooschnickens
So what is different about the one Cruizin is talking about? 

I was wanting to know as well. I have one of the "regular" kits so I'm interested to know what the differences (if any) are between it and the one they have in mind. So far the only thing I've been able to get out of it is that there will be a slightly cheaper price for forum members.  

• Premium Member

My assumption has been that it will be a "plug and play" kit specifically for the 07, with no cutting or soldering required -- but I may be wrong.

fooschnickens
My assumption has been that it will be a "plug and play" kit specifically for the 07, with no cutting or soldering required -- but I may be wrong.
It's already plug and play.  

Archived