The MT-07 Forum

Multiple-Day Outings

hobbs

• Premium Member

This year I'm planning to get out on my bike as much as possible. There's a few landmarks I want to travel to, but generally I just want to explore my country piece by piece. This brings up a few questions though.

I've done a ton of camping on foot and by car, but not via motorcycle yet. I'm wondering some of the best ways you guys like to make shelter for a night.

My 60's era biker vet neighbor recounts tales of old where they'd just sleep in a little spot of gravel on the side of a road, or a bench at a rest stop. I feel like that might get you arrested these days - although I still feel compelled to try it.

Does that only really leave state/public campgrounds? Anyone had exp on a trip (3 maybe 4 days) just showing up to wherever is nearby. Does it work best to reserve spots weeks in advance? I know some of this is relative, but I just want to hear your overall experience.

I'm trying to avoid motels/hotels cause they a) cost money and b) suck compared to being out in the world.

Thanks for your input.

Everything went braap.

I haven't had experience with it but it sounds rad. I've seen a few companies make a "lean-to" style tent that you can unroll and attach from the bike to the ground to make a little shelter. (keeps you warm too if the bike's been running recently enough haha)

I'm sure pulling this at a rest stop could get you some weird looks but I don't think it's against the law. I'd be more inclined to do it somewhere off the beaten path so nobody screws with you.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• Premium Member

Hope someone can answer your questions as they're good ones to ask!

Most trips I've heard from others found fellow riders/friends along the way to spend the night at or were out in the middle of nowhere, so camping a tent didn't seem out of the ordinary.

I guess it really does depend on where you go. Reserving sites and such can definitely be a big part of figuring out a trip. I know I've lost on a few camping trips cus sites were already full.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived