The MT-07 Forum

Ive been looking at the FZ-07 is has a good spec concern is

westgl

The spec sheet looks good, but my main concern is the bikes weight.

The FZ-07 is a light weight bike, and my thoughts are since it is so light are there certain areas of this bike that are not strong enough for it to be a durable bike.

Can it go a lot of miles, without problems?

I dont thrash a bike and dont ride wheelies, or burn outs, and weigh 190-lbs, and would probably only ride single on this bike.

I have several bikes now and have been looking at maybe adding it to the herd.

Any modern production bike should have zero issues with putting miles on them. If they are taken care of it should last for a long time.

Keep in mind that heavier bikes are covered with fragile fiberglass fairings and pieces that break so easily.

The FZ-07 is solid. Light is good, you will find that out first time you lean, turn and or move one around in the garage.

Light=good, less effort to operate.

Heavy = Bad, harder to operate. This is why so many Harleys end up in the trees.

Heck, the lightest bike I ever owned was a Honda QA-50.   I rode the snot out of that thing when I was ten.  ZERO issues, in fact I would let every kid on the block ride it, I don't ever remember a time when it  went out of service. Had it for years and wish I still did.  Light, well engineered bikes can last forever as long as you service them!
If your concerned about durability, look over to Europe with the MT-07 that's been in service a little longer than in the US.

Thanks Tony,

Seems most people were misinterpreting what I was asking.

Hey FZRDR
my first bike I was in 5th grade, Honda CT70 red, three speed gear box, no clutch, I rode that bike everywhere and was pulled over by the police for riding on city streets, it was a closed end large cul-de-sac.

Yea performance means light, low CofG, mass is centered and low as possible, for best power to weight, and inertia dynamics.

I have had a Lot of bikes in my riding history, one of the Last new bikes i bought was a 09' Vstrom 1000.

Some bikes are light duty in comparison to the work load they have to do.

Due to the Light build weight of the FZ-07, i was wondering if this bike had any issues in being under built, I usually like a bike that is over built, and have it for a long time, and expect it to hold up to the task of daily riding, without any problems, other than routine maintenance.

while other are manufactured poorly or incorrectly or engineered incorrectly for a few specific parts or locations on the bike, and have weak links.

Before the FZ-07 i was looking at the Singapore sling, Honda CB500 and its engine problems due to manufacturing being of inconsistent build quality, and more engines than I am comfortable with leaving the factory with bad quality.

Hopefully this bike is being built in Japan, and not farmed out to a poor quality country

• Global Moderator

The FZ07 is built in Japan. It is not farmed out like many Honda's. There is not doubt in my mind that it will last longer then your ownership period.

OK thanks for the reply's

Good to hear Japanese build.

I will be looking to test ride a FZ-07, some time in the near future, after some more research.

• Premium Member
The FZ-07 is built in Japan. While it is light it is not at all flimsy.
I ride mine pretty hard about 20%-30% of the time and I agree with this, this bike is BUILT.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

The light weight seems to come from the frame being part of and attached to the engine, cutting on the tubing you'd normally need for a full frame. Plus plastic tank, the actual gas tank is under the plastic and only 3.5 gallons. Add on the fact that it's naked, with 700cc engine and it's not hard to see how they got it under 400lbs wet. The bike itself feels very rigid. And it's light weight is very welcome to me, so easy to maneuver for a street bike. I research the shiz out of things before I buy them, the FZ-07 being one of those things... 6 months worth of reading and watching. This bike is amazing and so much fun!

• Premium Member

Same setup as the old CX500's with the engine being mounted under the frame, takes some weight off.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

I had a CX500E, a couple dozen years ago it was my first bike 500cc or bigger, right the engine is used as a stressed member of the frame, to reduce frame weight, bike after that was a CB750, great bike that CB750 was.

My first big bike was a 71' CB350, 100+ mph bike, and a 13.86 1/4 mile, it was fast for a 350, 350-lbs 375-lbs wet, air cooled, handled very good.

I Love naked bikes, like to have removable shields, to go from naked to some wind protection depending on how the weather is and my mood that day.

Here is a bike i converted to naked, it is a 86' Goldwing.

Now, It is a single seat, low, 500-lbs wet weight 1200cc 97h.p. bike that has a good amount of torque, that will pull in 5th gear at 2K rpm pretty well, so shifting often is not really needed.

Now imagine this Goldwing had a large front fairing/windshield, saddle bags, trunk, and a dual seat for rider and passenger, a Big rear fender, and big tail lights, and exhaust was big and heavy, and it was very quiet, it weighed 700-lbs wet.

Now after a weight reduction program, 90% of the 200-lbs I removed off of it, that weight was high on the bike raising the C of G point up considerably higher than it is now, After removing that weight the bike feels like you are riding a 500cc bike, the weight feels very low, and the bike feels Light at the 500-lbs weight that it is now.

Removing that much weight has had a bid effect on the bikes performance, The handing has GREATLY improved, Brakes have SS brake lines, and are much better but the weight made the biggest difference.

I call it a warthog, it is small, short, and low,  compact in comparison to a stock 86' full dress Goldwing.

Picture:

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/westgl1/media/P1020172%201%20comp%20398k_zpsst4isbxf.jpg.html
http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/westgl1/media/P1020174%201%20comp%20398k_zpszxofxtxn.jpg.html

Sorry guys I was going to upload a picture of that bike but cannot figure out how to

I pulled off everything, i could that I did not need on that 86' GL1200 that was above the center line of the Crankshaft, it has all LED turn signals, and 1959 Cadillac bullet Tail lights, those Caddy tail lights have 40 LEDs in each light, they are bright, and the exhaust has a nice roar to it, and a lopy idle.

This bike also has Hydraulic lifters, no valve adjustments ever.

But I like that the FZ-07 has such long mileage between valve lash checks, that is a big plus.

If i can figure out how to upload a picture i will.

Thanks Hippebikerchick,

I was able to up load a couple pictures, the 86' GL1200 was transformed into more of a cruiser with attitude.

So a FZ-07 would be a welcome bike to the heard.

Wow westgl, that is one sick looking Goldwing. Awesome job! And to post, look to the right of your pic. Click direct link, should automatically copy it and then paste it into your post.

Archived