The MT-07 Forum

Traxxion Damper and Spring Kit Review

craig9080

Hey Everyone,

The FZ-07 is my first road bike and my first time on two wheels since my TTR-125L in Jr high back in the day. Anyway, I love the bike, more power than I thought  a twin could offer, but was very uncomfortable under breaking with the high degree of nose dive.  I looked into ways to remedy this and, of course, Traxxion was the way to go.  I ordered their damper and spring kit with some Maxima 10wt oil and a weekend of wrenching was at hand.  It took me a little bit to work my way though taking everything apart, a few scratches were admittedly had  on the first fork as i figures everything out, but with everything apart I could really admire the quality of the traxxion kit.  The first night after the kit was installed i drove up and down the driveway and for the first time was comfortable limit braking, albeit from 30mph.  Today i went out on a 30 mile Sunday ride and am positively impressed.  The kit definitely firms up the handling a bit, but the composure with which you can corner and brake vastly outweighs the minor comfort decrease.  You just feel the road as you should Honestly, this should be the first $350 (minus 10% member discount) that you spend on your bike.  For reference, on four wheels I have been tracking cars for the past several years and actually started racing in the SCCA F600 series part-time last year, I'm definitely a noob to street motorcycles but can say from racing that this kit gives the composure and feedback necessary for confidence inspiring handling. 

@craig9080 - Thanks for the review mate. I am looking to do something similar before summer.

If possible, could you give us a link to the exact kit that you got. Thanks!

I would suggest just calling Traxxion and they can give you the different options that they offer. They are so very helpful and have an option to fit almost everyone's budget.

Damper Rod and Fork Spring Kit

Check out our Damper Rod and Fork Spring Kit! It comes with two precision CNC machined damper rods, and have all of the normally tedious drilling, deburring, and braizing required to install Race Tech Emulators in your forks already complete! These rods are machined to fit more tightly in the bottom of the fork tube so you won't have to run thick oil which is dramatically affected by temperature. This is a major drawback when using a modified stock damper rod because it forces the use of thicker fork oil.

Included in the kit is a pair of 4101 Emulators, that mate perfectly to the rods with no further machine work required. With these rods, you can do a fork upgrade in a fraction of the time it used to take.

A pair of high quality Traxxion Dynamics Fork Springs, precut fork spring spacers made from aircraft grade lightweight aluminum tubing are included as well. We tailor the spriings and spacers to your weight and intended use to make it a complete package.

Thanks all for the info. Ordered the same. Hopefully it works out good.

Now gotta deal with the rear. Most likely going to go with the re-valve and re-spring route via Traxxion instead of waiting on Elka.

• 1 month later...

Once installed, how do you remove the gold valve emulators to adjust the setting? More specifically what tool do you use?

Once installed, how do you remove the gold valve emulators to adjust the setting? More specifically what tool do you use?
I used these on my 2007 Suzuki SV650K7.That bike had very lousy (harsh) fork action over sharp bumps (like, 1972 lousy) and benefited greatly from the Emulators. You remove the Emulator and adjust the spring preload of the Emulator with an Allen wrench (hex key).The Emulator sits between the fork spring and the damper rod.You remove the fork cap, preload spacer, and fork spring, remove the Emulator, and turn the little Allen bolt to adjust the Emulator spring preload.
Very easy.Just don't make a mess with drops of fork oil everywhere.  :)

I used these on my 2007 Suzuki SV650K7.That bike had very lousy (harsh) fork action over sharp bumps (like, 1972 lousy) and benefited greatly from the Emulators. You remove the Emulator and adjust the spring preload of the Emulator with an Allen wrench (hex key).The Emulator sits between the fork spring and the damper rod.You remove the fork cap, preload spacer, and fork spring, remove the Emulator, and turn the little Allen bolt to adjust the Emulator spring preload.
Very easy.Just don't make a mess with drops of fork oil everywhere.  :)

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific. Do you use a certain tool to fish the gve out of the forks? Magnetic tool?

Reason I am asking is I have them installed and have a track day coming up. If I want to make changes to the emulators, what is the easiest way to remove them without having to turn the forks upside down.

After you remove the preload spacers and springs, bottoming-out the fork legs will bring the Emulators closer to the top of the fork.
Some kind of a magnetic or grabber tool is handy, too.

• 2 weeks later...

telescopic parts grabber with a magnetic end. See your local auto-parts store. And good luck with the fishing. I found it incredibly annoying and tiresome hour after hour and made a mess (I was trying to fix the ZR7-S suspension at the time).

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived