The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust

hondanike

Jbird,

Let us know how you like the EJK once you have it installed. I think you will be happy with the results. The Akra Carbon is also an awesome exhaust; one of my favs.

To clarify, you do not always need a fuel controller when adding exhaust and intake mods. Your bike will usually start and run fine. It will be running a bit leaner but probably not lean enough to cause damage.
With the EJK, you will see improved torque and overall smoother operation by cleaning up the fueling.

Our EJK is very different from the Power Commander in many ways. For one, we do not require you to download maps. All adjustments can be done with the buttons on the front rather than needing a computer.
Power Commander uses Alpha-N tuning; we used our patented load based technology. Read more about the difference here: http://www.dobeckperformance.com/load-based-technology.asp

We use the information the ECU is receiving from the various sensors and then extend/reduce the output pulse width (how long the injector stays open).
The PC does not look at the info from the sensors, and runs off a fuel map created by whomever.

Plug checks were a good way to see how a bike was running. Plug readings are not as accurate today because fuels have more additives and are made to burn cleaner. We also no longer have leaded fuels which left a nice residue on the plugs.

As for the missing O2 plugs on the Akrapovic exhaust, I think it was a production error. We received a couple like this as well. Akra was great and got them to our customers right away. I still have a few laying around if anyone is missing theirs or needs one.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I called a few local yamaha dealers and they said it was not nessisary to get the EJK and will not cause engine damage as some rumors were spread. The engine is not running hot, temp is normal, it is hard to tell if the bike boggs, how would I notice? I've put on about 500 miles after the install of the akra, and the throttle feels smoother than the stock exsaust, and avg abt the same if not better mpg. I will still do the ejk later this or next season, any thoughts

Also how would I tell if the bike is running too lean, and causing damage. The only thing I have noticed, is when I look at the avg mpg while riding, it seems to jump around between 90 and 50 mpg during various shift points, but I thinks this is normal, and is perhaps no real way to tell if the fuel management is functioning properly?

Spoke to Doebeck about my backfiring / popping again and ended up changing my yellow setting from 6.5 to 5. This fixed 90% of my problem with the backfiring between gears

bmwpowere36m3
Spoke to Doebeck about my backfiring / popping again and ended up changing my yellow setting from 6.5 to 5. This fixed 90% of my problem with the backfiring between gears
Popping on decel is usually a sign of being lean... and that goes hand-in-hand with adding an aftermarket exhaust.  Since any internal combustion engine is just a big air pump, when the exhaust is "freed up" is allow more air thru and thus more fuel is required.  Some popping is normal due to the straight-thru design of most aftermarket mufflers... their plain noisier.  On carb'd bikes usually a slight tweak of the fuel mix screw (richer) took care of it. 

sigma2chi
Popping on decel is usually a sign of being lean... and that goes hand-in-hand with adding an aftermarket exhaust.  Since any internal combustion engine is just a big air pump, when the exhaust is "freed up" is allow more air thru and thus more fuel is required.  Some popping is normal due to the straight-thru design of most aftermarket mufflers... their plain noisier.  On carb'd bikes usually a slight tweak of the fuel mix screw (richer) took care of it. 

Most of my popping was between gears

bmwpowere36m3

Most of my popping was between gears

Hmm... never experienced that. Though you typically reduce the throttle somewhat when you shift. I've always noticed it on bikes when you decel and the throttle is closed.

I called a few local yamaha dealers and they said it was not nessisary to get the EJK and will not cause engine damage as some rumors were spread. The engine is not running hot, temp is normal, it is hard to tell if the bike boggs, how would I notice? I've put on about 500 miles after the install of the akra, and the throttle feels smoother than the stock exsaust, and avg abt the same if not better mpg. I will still do the ejk later this or next season, any thoughts
I was one of those people and I referred people to the jetrus site that said it is 'best' to have it checked out 'to make sure' it's not running hot, 'not that it would' run hot without it. A lot of people said this and that about the issue and it was confusing for some so I threw that out there to help alleviate all the confusion. So the pipe alone is fine, no excessive heat, just excessive popping. Don't like the excessive popping, >>> EJK.

Beemer

Archived