The MT-07 Forum

Dyno tune ruined my bike?

ugly

So, I'm really upset and my heart hurts!

Bought my first ever motorcycle, brand new 2015 Yamaha FZ 07, rapid red. Awesome and in love!

Bought a stainless steel Yoshimura full exhaust system. Fell more in love.

Bought a Power Commander V and did a Dyno run to get the air to fuel ratios adjusted. Did not gain anything (hp + torque), but at least the bike should run better.

WRONG!

From time to time, while in 1st gear, the bike becomes scarily unstable. It struggles to get going, and becomes very abrupt. I give gas, but it feels like the engine is not getting anything. It wants to die and take me with it.

I did all the installation and dyno run at Bob Lanphere's Beaverton Motorcycles. They are trying to fix the problem, but the issue doesn't occur every time the bike is in 1st. So they are having a hard time replicating it.

I'm really afraid to ride the bike now and concerned that this issue might not get resolved.

Here is a short video of it happening a couple of times:

Any thoughts or help or anything?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Not gaining any HP or TQ after installing the yosh and PC V is the first red flag. You should have gained at least something.

I'm wondering if the power commander screwed with a portion of the bikes electronics, or if it's a faulty unit.

Real bummer to hear about your misfortune. Hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

It seems like a mapping issue. As much of a pain it sounds like doing is to troubleshoot this by removing the fuel controller. Good luck though, shitty situation to have to deal with.

• Premium Member

I would pull the power commander out. Bike should run without those issues with just the exhasut installed. At least you can ensure it is issue with the setup on the power commander or a faulty one.

I agree, yank the PC-V out and take the bike out for a spin, see how it runs without it. 
If it runs fine at least you will know the cause, which many here have guessed at.

scordiaboy515

I'm not clear on a couple of things....who did the install of the PCV?  Did you bring it to a reputable race shop to do the pulls on the dyno and get a print out of the before and after results.  Also when installing a PCV, the o2 sensor is removed, when the final mapping is established it's locked in with the lap top. It boils down to having qualified people work on your bike.  There are literally thousands of PCV's on race bikes and track bikes across the country....just doesn't add up to me :-S

Guest whitegas

Holy hell, that place has some bad yelp reviews. But then again... that seems to be the norm with larger motorcycle dealerships.

Did they have the plugs out? if so check the caps are on right.
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere off that vid check any
connections that were disturbed.

power commander maps fz07 Before you yank the pcv, you could try downloading their map for your setup.

Try one of the off the shelf maps before going though the work of removing the PCV. It sounds like a shitty tune to me, I have pcv with no issues, and off the shelve map.  I personally went with the pcv for the ignition tuning, timing will generally give more gains in power over just fuel ratio. Finding a good engine tuner is key to have the system work correctly. You could have a full stand alone motec system, but without a good tuner it would still run like shit.

fooschnickens

Something definitely doesn't seem right. May as well try that base map that graham posted before you do, though. It's possible they messed up the low-end tuning which would cause that horrible bogging. The fact that it's intermittent makes me think that it's more than likely a bad connections, or a faulty unit. I echo the others in removing the PC completely from the bike and seeing what happens if the base map from PC does nothing.

Since they're trying to make it right I'd give them a chance, but if they're unable to fix it getting a second shop's opinion may help.

......need some input from mr ugly....

Sorry guys, my dad is visiting from Bangladesh. I get to see him once a year, so spending all the time I can with him.

I will post a scan of the dyno run soon.

I really appreciate all the help! Don't give up on me yet!

Thank you.

• Premium Member
The problem I have with Powercommander is that you are completely at the mercy of the the Dyno shop/tuner. 
Mark Dobeck invented most of their technology years ago, including their Dyno's.

He then found a better technology for the every day rider. (you and me)

He sold Dynojet, took his top engineer and started a new company.

And this is why Dobeck Performance is gonna be the supporting Vendor here for Fueling and exhausts. The average guy can hook up their Fuel controller and dial it in and have perfect fueling all across the RMP range and in any load condition easily, and doesn't have to pay a Tuner to mess with his bike and can Avoid having to put their bike on a Dyno.

Do you guys know how many Bike engine blow up on Dyno's? Do some youtube searching.

unless I decide to go racing fulltime and hire a full time racing team, the Dobeck EJK Fuel controller is perfect for me.

After some research, and thanks to this forum i decided on the EJK too, should be here next week!

• Premium Member
Awesome! Remember to leave a review after you have it dialed in! Did you also rent the Fueling gauge?
Will do.  
I do have a wideband ive used for tuning my cars, might see if i can rig that up to the bike. Otherwise i may just buy one of the dobeck safr fueling gauges, between me and my friends with bikes im sure it would get used enough

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Here are some facts about Dobeck vs Powercommander by Dynojet. And, keep in mind, Mark Dobeck founded Dynojet back in the day and invented the Dynojet Dyno, then sold the company and came up with a better solution and launched Dobeck Performance and the EJK Fuel controllers.  
Three key differences between Dobeck and DynoJet Products:

You should work for Dobeck, your knowledge and enthusiasm would make you and them money.  :))

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Would be nice if ugly had an AFR guage to monitor what the bike is doing when the bogging happens. I can bet he's running extremely rich in his low rpm range.

Here are some facts about Dobeck vs Powercommander by Dynojet. And, keep in mind, Mark Dobeck founded Dynojet back in the day and invented the Dynojet Dyno, then sold the company and came up with a better solution and launched Dobeck Performance and the EJK Fuel controllers.  
Three key differences between Dobeck and DynoJet Products:

You should work for Dobeck, your knowledge and enthusiasm would make you and them money.  :))
Yup, hit the nail on the head. 

Thank you everyone for all the feedback, support and ideas. I really appreciate it.

Here are a couple of dyno run graphs:
i-K4r2zHf-L.jpgi-WHRxKzC-L.jpg

So here is where I am right now. 

After 3 days in the shop, no one was able to figure out what was wrong. So they took out the Power Commander V, and boom! The bike is running normal again!

I tried to get a replacement from Revzilla, but they really did not want to help me. Only after a while of back and forth, did they finally give me a return authorization. It seems to be a long process and they will send the PCV off to Dynojet for assessment.

Got in touch with Dynojet, and that was not a pleasant conversation either!

The problem I have been dealing with is intermittent and the dealership had a hard time replicating it. For them, the issue surfaced while in neutral, and for me, in 1st gear. It does not occur every time the bike is ridden. If the Dynojet people are not patient with the PCV, they most likely won't experience the problem, and send the unit back to me.  

At this point, I am worried that I will get stuck with a faulty unit. Really bumming hard!

I've got to think the unit is faulty. We have been running (racing) the PCV for years on everything from SV's, R6's and GSXR750's with good results. Always go to a reputable shop to get a map written.

• Premium Member
power commander maps fz07 Before you yank the pcv, you could try downloading their map for your setup.

Hey, those maps are for the FZ 09. 
There do not have a map for FZ 07 with stock air-filter and Yoshimura exhaust.

Unless the bike model does not matter...?

Thank you
Sorry, i see they dont have any maps listed for the FZ-07, damn. Does the power commander tell you what the base sttings are for stock? You could at least detemine if its a hardware issue, or a tune issue? 

• Premium Member
I've got to think the unit is faulty. We have been running (racing) the PCV for years on everything from SV's, R6's and GSXR750's with good results. Always go to a reputable shop to get a map written.
I agree.  Sorry you got such a hard time from DynoJet.  My experience with them has been nothing short of amazing, and my bike is the bike they used for the majority of base maps listed on their website. 
Having said that, I STILL took the bike to my favorite tuner, and even he said the base maps DynoJet created were just about spot on.  He was only able to eek out a couple more hp and tq.

Sounds like you have a faulty unit.

No matter if you decide to go with EJK, or stick with the PCV, I hope you get it sorted.  Let us know how it goes...

- Paulie

@ugly,

It is hard to say what the issue is. Faulty map, bad connections, poor tune. Make sure you have disconnected the stock O2 sensor so it is not fighting your fuel map. If you want to stick with the PCV, I would recommend installing the off the shelf map as a starting point and maybe comparing it to the dyno tuners fuel map. See if there are any significant differences.

As another option, you could rent our SAFR tool. It is an air/fuel ratio gauge that will tell you exactly how the bike is running. You could use this while in normal driving conditions with real road load on the bike and see if the fueling is too lean or rich. Its possible the dyno tuner could have been tuning off a skewed reading. If there was something wrong with the fuel tune up, you would see this on the AFR gauge.

Your yosh exhaust has a 12mm O2 bung and would need an 18mm adapter for the wideband O2 sensor (we can provide this). Let me know if you want to go this route. I would be interested to see and share how the PCV tune up is working for the bike in real road load driving conditions. I will give you a free rental; you pay shipping.

check out the website: www.safrtool.com

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
We can work out the details and I'll answer any questions.

--TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

Archived