The MT-07 Forum

Vagabond frame sliders

dreadykrueger

dreadykrueger

So as some of you may know, Friday February 6 I bought my FZ-07.  Well today my frame sliders came in.  After a little research I decided to go with the Vagabond version.  I liked the overall look and the fitment.  I also didn't want to alter anything that dealt with the factory engine mount bolts, which some other brands use.  The installation was really easy and straight forward and it came will everything needed to complete the install; even a noob like me could handle it.  Here's the finished product.  The last pic kinda shows that these sliders don't stick out extra far at all
IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

JUST BOUGHT THEIR TAIL AND REAR BRAKE RES RELOCATE BRACKET LOVE THEM BOTH
I REALLY LIKE THE OE SIGNALS WHEN THEY ARE ALL TUCKED IN SO I DID IT ON THE FRONT ALSO

• Premium Member

I still havent decided on sliders, but these look good. I like the fact you dont need to remove the factory bolt

• Premium Member

Hmmm. I just installed the OES kit, and they use a bolt that replaces the stock engine mount bolt. I wonder what the advantages/disadvantages might be?
I really like the build quality of the OES stuff, and the install was a piece of cake.

Why can't left turners see us?

Those do look nice and clean. Still deciding which to get. This is probably my next add on after I hook up my EJK now that I have my two bros pipe like I wanted it

Guest whitegas

I don't understand the hesitation with removing the frame bolt. You just remove it, and put in a new one!

Anyway, hopefully you never have to use them. But if you do, let us know how it holds up.

dreadykrueger

Originally I was going to go with the OES kit but I was hesitant about removing and replacing the frame bolt. I mean sure you get a new bolt to replace it with but here's the thing. I'm not a machinist, mechanic, or physicist so I don't know if the quality and strength of the replacement bolt is the same as the factory bolt. I imagine that nothing bad would happen but I figure why chance it?

Originally I was going to go with the OES kit but I was hesitant about removing and replacing the frame bolt. I mean sure you get a new bolt to replace it with but here's the thing. I'm not a machinist, mechanic, or physicist so I don't know if the quality and strength of the replacement bolt is the same as the factory bolt. I imagine that nothing bad would happen but I figure why chance it?
I originally had the same line of thinking and im still thinking that way but the reality is, the frame sliders are very well reviewed and i would hope that OES is ethically responsible enough to not produce a crap product.

• Premium Member

Looks good! I thought both manufactures (Vagabond & OES) appeared to have good products, but I am going with the Vagabond frame sliders (the bolt question would always be floating around in my head, plus I prefer the non-decal simple look of them). Then I'll get the OES Fork and rear axle sliders - since both companies make the products with Delrin, I am hoping they will look like a full matched set.

rubberbandman72

It's just a motor mount bolt, folks. You just remove it and replace it. Very simple. Borrow a torque wrench if you don't already have one and tighten it to the proper torque spec and ride on down the road. Not a big deal at all.

• Premium Member

For me, the bolt removal/replacement process wasn't the issue. My final selling points were looks and keeping the OEM bolts, but it was a close race. I like both of them - if Vagabond is out of stock when I go to order I'll likely get the OES.

• Premium Member

I was a little worried about the motor mount bolt replacement, but the OES stuff seems so high quality that I'm not worried.
It really is just a bolt that either does or doesn't meet the spec for the application, and I know the OES meets the spec.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

The set screw that holds the Vagabond sliders in place doesn't seem strong enough if it should ever be put to the test. I like knowing my OES sliders are going to stay where they belong if needed.

Illegitimi non carborundum

dreadykrueger

Sooooo quick update. Found out first hand that these frame sliders definitely do their job. Decided to do a little practice riding tonight. Everything was cool till I tried to make a corner from a stand still. I hit one of the oily patches in the road that they use to repair cracks and lost traction and low sided....after just 3 days of ownership. Anyway the damage is minimal. Mostly small scrapes on the right side. Ripped my right glove and a slight scrape on my helmet. The main thing damaged is my pride lol. I'll post pics at a later time. Lastly, I'll say this: ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR!!

• 3 weeks later...
Sooooo quick update. Found out first hand that these frame sliders definitely do their job. Decided to do a little practice riding tonight. Everything was cool till I tried to make a corner from a stand still. I hit one of the oily patches in the road that they use to repair cracks and lost traction and low sided....after just 3 days of ownership. Anyway the damage is minimal. Mostly small scrapes on the right side. Ripped my right glove and a slight scrape on my helmet. The main thing damaged is my pride lol. I'll post pics at a later time. Lastly, I'll say this: ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR!!
Glad to hear you are OK!  And glad our sliders performed as they should!

$5 discount on all of our products with code: FZ07-FIVE!
www.vagabondmotorsports.com
Always free domestic shipping!

Hmmm. I just installed the OES kit, and they use a bolt that replaces the stock engine mount bolt. I wonder what the advantages/disadvantages might be? I really like the build quality of the OES stuff, and the install was a piece of cake.

Glad you are taking the steps to protect your bike--always a good idea.   
Here is the main difference between the sliders:

Our sliders do not require you to remove the engine mounting bolts in order to install our sliders like the OES. The Vagabond Motorsports sliders have a precision fit in the frame tubes and use a small bolt through the existing drain hole in the frame tubes to secure the sliders. Our take on this is you don't want to be changing the stiffness of the motor mounts with a long bolt for conventional sliders (OES) because the engine on the FZ-07 is a stressed member and critical to the structural rigidity of the chassis (in other words, you don't want to be messing with something that makes the bike frame strong). The other benefit of our sliders is that they literally install in minutes and the one wrench you need is included. Hope that makes sense.

$5 discount on all of our products with code: FZ07-FIVE!
www.vagabondmotorsports.com
Always free domestic shipping!

• 1 month later...

You can look at the head of the bolt and look for markings you'll see numbers or lines normally they represent the grade of bolt normally 5 and 8 grade are interchangeable because the difference if I remember correctly is carbon content and stress under extreme temperatures above 800 degrees so unless they give a shit bolt you'll be fine. What you could do is go to a nut and bolt place with the oes bolt and your original motor mount bolt ask which is stronger and if the motor mount one is then replace the oes bolt with one of the same grade as the motor mount bolt at the store and no problem. Did research on bolts and found there's very little real world difference most of the time unless completely different metals are used.

• 2 months later...

did you/anyone have any issues with installing these? 1 of 2 went in snug but as far as it would go without tapping it in with a mallet, the holes don't line up, the hole on the slider comes up a bit short so the screw can't go in properly. the other one i can't even push it in past the oring...

bmwpowere36m3

Try putting a little grease on the o-ring, push it in and tap it in lightly with a rubber mallet if needed. By design, their [Vagabond] sliders are supposed to fit "tight".

dreadykrueger
did you/anyone have any issues with installing these? 1 of 2 went in snug but as far as it would go without tapping it in with a mallet, the holes don't line up, the hole on the slider comes up a bit short so the screw can't go in properly. the other one i can't even push it in past the oring...
I had a little bit of trouble with the brake side slider getting the holes lined up.  But after a little grease and a few taps from a hammer gave it that extra push to get lined up properly.  And obviously it worked just fine

JUST BOUGHT THEIR TAIL AND REAR BRAKE RES RELOCATE BRACKET LOVE THEM BOTH I REALLY LIKE THE OE SIGNALS WHEN THEY ARE ALL TUCKED IN SO I DID IT ON THE FRONT ALSO
You should've bought their CAPS REDUCER, also. (jk) Had to say it, all caps drive me nuts!

Beemer

Archived