The MT-07 Forum

Relocate battery????

jrubicon

I just installed a CF Yoshimura exhaust.  Love the hell out of it!

Need some input here. I am considering relocating the battery to the bottom of the bike. There is tons of room now where the stock exhaust used to be.  Im a welder fabricator, so i can easily make a firm mounted, alum boxed carriage. Will make it shielded away from dust debris heat etc.

the question is relocating it... with the battery in the bottom, thats a very low center of gravity, i think it would be very beneficial.

any thoughts???

this is my tail tidy with custom 1" ID receiver for go pro or whatever mount, now black powder coated.

300x300.jpg

www.youtube.com/infinion3

• Premium Member

Here's my opinion, keep in mind this is only one point of view.

The stock location is fine. I don't think you'll gain much by putting the effort into relocating it. You'll be adding extra weight just to do so. If you really wanted to do anything I would recommend getting a lightweight replacement.

I think they are as light as 2 to 3 lbs, and being that light you wouldn't need to worry about the COG. Because any difference would probably be so minor you wouldn't perceive it anyway.

Everything went braap.

The idea that weight should be low seems good in concept, but not so great in practice. Plenty of race teams have experimented with the idea. From all that I've read and experienced, having some weight up top isn't necessarily a bad thing. If I were you I'd leave it where it is. In the stock location it is well protected from the elements.

If you really believe cutting weight would help, get one of the light weight batteries to replace the stock unit. You can get batteries now that weight only 2 pounds and will still crank over large bikes.

ben

rubberbandman72

I love the idea of relocating things but I agree that by simply replacing the battery with a very lightweight lithium unit there would be no real need to relocate. Fabbing a mount to do so would add a little weight. Even if you relocated a lightweight battery you would gain some weight back in the mount itself. That said, I still like the idea for some reason.

Great job,

Relocating any weight lower especially a battery is optimum. even if you add a couple pounds having it at the lowest part of the bike is best possible place.
i have converted a few bikes to naked bikes and getting as much weight off of up high weight, as possible transforms a bike into a much better bike.

Getting the CG as low as possible and as close to the center of the center-line of the bike is best.

Great job, 
Relocating any weight lower especially a battery is optimum. even if you add a couple pounds having it at the lowest part of the bike is best possible place.
i have converted a few bikes to naked bikes and getting as much weight off of up high weight, as possible transforms a bike into a much better bike.

Getting the CG as low as possible and as close to the center of the center-line of the bike is best.
Sorry, but that is not true. It is assumed by many to be true, but it isn't. Balance of weight is really ideal. If the bulk of the weight were exclusively low to the ground, getting the bike to handle would be a real pain in the butt.

But seriously, it is your bike. Do what you want.

ben

Archived