The MT-07 Forum

Suspension noob

ugly

Hey guys, I have a few novice questions about motorcycle suspension setups.

When more experienced riders say that the FZ 07 has a week suspension, or that it's too soft, does that mean that a hard suspension without much play is better?

Does that make normal street riding on roads that are not super smooth uncomfortable?

Also, is the stock suspension setup unsafe for "fun" riding?

Thank you.

• Premium Member

Really it boils down to your weight and riding style. The purpose of the suspension is to allow the tires to maintain positive contact (traction) with the irregular surface of the road.

This means the forks need to telescope an appropriate amount in either direction. If your a heavier rider, just sitting on the bike will compress the suspension a certain amount. Then there's only so much more space left for the forks to compress before you have no more suspension travel. I.e., the wheel will bounce around on the irregularities of the road, reducing traction.

This is compounded the faster, or more aggressive you ride and also weight plays a factor since our forks come with no adjustability. (Yes you can opt for a heavier weight fork oil but that's not true adjustability.)

Lighter to average weight riders will find the suspension okay for your typical, legalish riding.

Upgraded setups do a couple things. They match the spring rate to your weight, so stiffer for heavier fellows, lighter for the featherweights. This way the suspension has enough travel in either direction when at equilibrium (not braking or hard acceleration) to effectively combat road irregularities. Potholes, hills, bumps, pavement ripples.. etc.

They can also allow for compression, or rebound adjustability. Meaning the forks will compress and push back out to meet the roads surface at an improved rate.

Our job as good riders is to keep the suspension in the optimal range. Which is roughly half way compressed. This allows for further compression if needed, and also for rebound. For example you ride across a dip in the road.. your suspension will push out to keep the tires in contact, that's rebound.

Any way, that's at least part of an answer. A few more perspectives will chime in soon enough.

Everything went braap.

If you weigh over 190 do not go into the corners hot with the stock suspension. It's a pogo stick at speed, and imagine being leaned over around a corner and then hitting a bump or road imperfection. You start to pogo while leaned over, you wreck and fly into the trees.

The Stock FZ-07 and FZ-09 suspensions suck. Corner carefully. Hell, better suspensions even allow you to stop quicker.

• Global Moderator

I am still amazed that Yamaha managed so much bike for the price but both the 07 and 09 are budget bikes and the price cuts have to come from somewhere. On of the things they skimped is suspension (the other one is exhaust imo)
But it depends on where you are coming from. If you just upgraded your 1985 Suzuki for a new FZ07 you would be quite impressed with the stock suspension.

• Global Moderator

My last bike was an early '80s KZ650, so this one handles like a Ferrari. I am sure I will upgrade the suspension in a year or two, but for now I am happy.

It's strange they fit a big wide rear tyre that could handle twice the power
then fit a rear shock that is very under damped, maybe they just didn't want
loads of 07's riding round R6's on the back roads and hurting sales of more
expensive bikes in the range, just thinker oil in the rear shock would likely
help a lot so cost should not be a issue.

• Premium Member
It's strange they fit a big wide rear tyre that could handle twice the power then fit a rear shock that is very under damped, maybe they just didn't want
loads of 07's riding round R6's on the back roads and hurting sales of more
expensive bikes in the range, just thinker oil in the rear shock would likely
help a lot so cost should not be a issue.

How would one go about changing the oil in the rear shock? Send it to a shop to rebuild? Legitimate question, not bein a smartass.

Everything went braap.

Yes, the shock gets sent to a suspension shop that knows how to disassemble it and make internal changes to suit you.
Traxxion Dynamics can do this to the stock FZ-07 shock, so I have read.

The Yamaha factory could have just as easily made the shock too stiff and unyielding and over-damped.
My guess is that they decided on a shock setting that would be passable for the majority of riders they felt would be riding the bike.
They also, in my estimation, did not put countless hours into the shock setup due to cost - they made it soft and left it that way.

Don't know if this is available in the US but a road test by MCN in the UK was very
positive £328 / $500 about the cheapest available in the UK and by all accounts not
a bad choice.

http://www.nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=12992&prodID=76735

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2014/december/yamaha-mt-07-long-termer-report-2/

Archived