The MT-07 Forum

DIY:Spark plugs?

shadowcat

• Global Moderator

Good idea. I am pretty sure we will get one once someone passes the 12000 mile mark. That's when they are due for replacement.

According to the service manual. You will need to just remove the fuel tank,tank covers and the ignition coils to get to the spark plugs.

I would love to see this as well, I hope It's easy enough for this knucklehead to do. Otherwise it's at least a couple hundo to the dealer!!!!

I think the 3 main things for anyone to do it yourself on a bike is 1. oil change 2. Tighten your chain 3. change you spark plugs.
Routine maintenance that can save you tons of money and is needed for longevity of the bike.

• 1 month later...

I just finished changing the plugs on mine. I didn't remove the tank. I just removed the side covers and the gas tank cover. I was able to reach the plugs from the throttle side. I have fairly large hands and I still had room to do everything. I did move the bracket that holds the ECU out of the way when installing the boots. Gave me a bit better leverage since those things are super tight. Note that you will need a 14mm deep socket to remove the plugs. Neither of my standard spark sockets fit. I have to say this is the second easiest plug change I've done. First have been my 06 and 07 Gixxers. My least favorites were an R6 and an FZ6. >_

Guest Ralph

Just make sure you don't cross thread the things start them by hand
it's worth spending any amount of time being sure of this than all
the trouble of sorting it out after. I have had a few bad NGK plugs
recently there are it seems some counterfeit ones about so beware,
after reading a write up I tried some Denso plugs and have been happy
with the results.

I have to say this is the second easiest plug change I've done. First have been my 06 and 07 Gixxers. My least favorites were an R6 and an FZ6. >_<
No plug change could be easier than the ones on my old R90/6 or R100RS.

But Yamaha did a nice job packaging stuff on this bike making most, if not all, service really simple. 

Just make sure you don't cross thread the things start them by hand it's worth spending any amount of time being sure of this than all
with the results.

I use old vacuum hoses over the tip of the spark plug to get them started by hand so that I don't cross thread them.

Just make sure you don't cross thread the things start them by hand it's worth spending any amount of time being sure of this than all
with the results.
I use old vacuum hoses over the tip of the spark plug to get them started by hand so that I don't cross thread them.
That's a great idea. Will have to file that away in the memory bank

• 1 month later...
fastfredyb

I just changed the spark plugs this weekend and had a tough time. LOL. We all know the first time you do something it takes a long time.Took me at least 2hrs to figure it out and try different tools to see which ones worked. I had a hard time taking the spark plug out after it was loose and I also had a tough time taking off the boots. I'm going to buy a magnetic socket for next time. Both spark plugs had anti-seize on them for next time. I figure it will take 20-45 minutes next time up.

fastfredyb

Cruizin, I thought about that the whole time but me not having recording equipment and not being tech saavy didn't help.

I just changed the spark plugs this weekend and had a tough time. LOL. We all know the first time you do something it takes a long time.Took me at least 2hrs to figure it out and try different tools to see which ones worked. I had a hard time taking the spark plug out after it was loose and I also had a tough time taking off the boots. I'm going to buy a magnetic socket for next time. Both spark plugs had anti-seize on them for next time. I figure it will take 20-45 minutes next time up.
I have a flexible magnet tool that I use to get the plug out once it's loose. It's cheap and I use it all the time.

• 1 month later...

I just cleaned and checked gap on mine at 8300 kms.

They looked pretty good. I think it was a waste of time and sweat. I suspect Yamaha is throwing work dealerships' way with the maintenance schedule.

• Premium Member

8,300 kilometers is a little over half way to the interval given in the U.S. manual

Everything went braap.

bmwpowere36m3

I usually don't bother cleaning plugs… on my dirt bike I replace it every year or two. On my roads bikes… every few years. Once you go thru the effort of pulling them out, might as well and just change them.

Guest Ralph

The UK service manual says oil change and plug clean at 6000 miles
new plugs every second service so at 12000 miles valves at 24000 miles
have a feeling they set the intervals to what the market will stand and
what the owners expect.
It actually says 10000 km or 6000 miles but 10000 is 6213 miles so there's
a good margin for rounding going on.

I just had them replaced at the 13K mark. An older bud of mine does all the work on my bike. I just realized I stood around watching him do this for about an hour last week, when I could have taken pics, damn it. But then again, I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos while he was fine for some reason. We chit chat a lot, and if I asked him to pause while I took a pic, he will probably give me chores around his house lol. Awesome old-timer who rides a gaudy red and yellow 90s beemer bike(which somehow has more tech than the FZ btw) and wears a helmet with a mohawk on it which is such an incongruent picture, I haven't figured him out yet. I am just eternally grateful that he helps me.

• Global Moderator

@kamalv, I have the same mosquito problem as you. I can be in a group of people and I will be the only one they will bite. I wish I knew why they were so attracted to me.

Archived