The MT-07 Forum

Code 19

dannyfz07

I got code 19 today when I went to start my bike. I read on another thread that code 19 is side stand switch. So I'll check the switch and wiring tomorrow. I'm sure it's dirty as I just switched to a new synthetic chain lube and it just flings off the chain leaving everything lubed but the chain LOL anyways with code 19 bike would crank but would not start at all. Just wondering if that happened to anyone else? I would assume if the switch is bad it would act as if the side stand was down and would not crank what so ever rather than cranking without actually starting. Any thoughts?

My bike starts every morning in neutral with the side stand down.
My first guess is to make sure the electrical wire plugging into the clutch lever perch is plugged in and making contact.

My bike starts every morning in neutral with the side stand down. My first guess is to make sure the electrical wire plugging into the clutch lever perch is plugged in and making contact.
Sorry, I just re read my post aha, made no sense to me once I read it. Bike was in neutral, side stand down, code 19 showing on dash, engine cranked but no start. My question is why would code 19 cause the bike to crank but not start even though it was in neutral? 

• 1 year later...
So anyone know the for sure solution to fix error code 19?
u must give it a offering, and if it loves the offering the code will reside!  

• Premium Member

Do you have the service manual? The diagnostic code is saying that the ECU isn't getting a signal from the sidestand switch. Doesn't mean it's bad, just that the ECU can't see its status. So it failsafes to not letting the bike run, since it can't tell if the stand is up or down. There is a black/red wire, most likely somewhere near the starter relay, that runs to the ECU. I'm not 100% sure on that, so you might want to trace it from the ECU back to wherever it goes. Use an ohm-meter to see if it's broken.
Since the bike will crank, the switch is probably good. It should NOT crank with the sidestand down and the bike in gear and clutch out(be careful if you want to test this theory).
I'm attaching a pic of the relevant section of the wiring diagram. Items 23 & 24 are the starter and fuel pump relays. 25 is a wire junction (hopefully that's where the issue is), 26 is the sidestand switch.
This is the MT-07 diagram, hopefully the wire colors are the same.
sidestand_zpsum078rcc.jpg

- Andy

• 1 month later...

I'm getting the same error code. Someone tried to steal my bike by popping the ignition but thankfully it threw this code and would not allow them to crank it.  I've ordered a new ignition but I can't wait a week to ride any help would be greatfully apriciated. 

And this is why a lot of people will bypass those "safety" switches. Imagine being in the process of a slow U turn in the rain and that switch fails - down you'd go. And they seem to fail in the rain at the very worst times imaginable.

Follow the wring up from the side stand switch, disconnect where it plugs into the harness. You might be able to hose contact cleaner into the switch to clean it. Check the connection across the switch side of the plug with an ohmmeter while working the switch back and forth.

jumper the connector on the loom side and see if that code goes away. if it does, the side stand switch has goo in it not allowing a connection to be made. you might be able to ride like this if the jumper is secured. Just remember, putting the stand up and pulling the clutch while in gear is now your responsibility - just like it used to be for the 1st 3 decades of my riding life.

if trying to clean the switch fails, you will need a new switch -- as well as a new chain lube.

I'm getting the same error code. Someone tried to steal my bike by popping the ignition but thankfully it threw this code and would not allow them to crank it.  I've ordered a new ignition but I can't wait a week to ride any help would be greatfully apriciated. 
That's interesting - not the part about the ass-wipes that tried to steal it - I've experienced this (someone put a drill bit into my Aprilia's ignition just far enough that my key would not go in to allow me to unlock the fork, at work) and it's a royal pita when someone just can't keep their hands to themselves. 
So, w/o looking at the wiring diagram, it might be possible that some of that circuit goes thru the ignition switch. Would not have guessed this as the switch part is usually bolted to the bottom of the key lock part. But if that part of the harness was damaged by damaging the switch, it's possible. The code should go away with the new ignition. 

Wonder if Yamaha did this just to prevent a theft like this

That was my first thought also but after messing with it for awhile every now and then it would crank and stay running without the code. Is it possible to fix it until I get my ignition?

That was my first thought also but after messing with it for awhile every now and then it would crank and stay running without the code. Is it possible to fix it until I get my ignition?
the bike runs ok, yer just looking at the code in the dash?  
The wiring diagram for this bike is really hard for my small brain to follow. My Aprilia's is far easier to understand.  Anyway, it appears there are 4 circuits being fed power from the ignition switch. Power goes everywhere all the time, but is controlled thru the ECU via ground. It's possible that the switch was damaged internally such that you have a bit of a voltage drop on the system and the eco is seeing this as having one of those safety switches (in this case, the side stand) in an open condition and it's kicking up a code. 

Was the wiring harness damaged? All they does is turns a lock and that throws the switch to the pope position to have stuff on. you'll have to find where the switch's harness plugs in anyway, you might be able to jumper the proper connections at that plug on the bike side of the harness. That might be under the tank somewhere and hard to get at, so not exactly practical. But you might be able to get at the proper wire connections from under the dash making it a bit easier to actually turn off as well. 

Archived